A final cry for help from a Voom subscriber soon to be forced into cancelling.

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
I took a half day from work this morning, only to have another installer from Installs, Inc. call this afternoon once again claiming that "Voom never sent him the upgraded antenna I was scheduled to have installed". This is now the sixth (count 'em six) time in the last three months that this has happened to me, and because of it I am still sitting here with no network channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc). Each time, I called 1-800-Get-Voom, trying to be as polite and patient as possible, and each time the CSR on the other end apologized repeatedly, put me on hold to call Installs, Inc and "get this straightened out for good", and then scheduled me for another installation appointment about a week later. Finally today I told the Rep (Beth) on the other end of the phone line that I had now wasted and missed the equivalent of 3 full work days of pay, was getting fed up, and wasn't happy with just hearing that they would just have to reschedule me. She put me on hold to call Installs, Inc again... this time she came back with a different answer. Installs Inc had now "changed their position on my matter" and had told her that if I wanted to get my local network channels I would have to purchase the $600 antenna they were originally going to install for free "out of my own wallet". After putting me on hold for another 3 minutes, she told me the guy on the other line at Installs, Inc was "sure that this would work for my location", but that Installs, Inc would not cover the cost because they could not "justify the expense". After telling the Rep that this was completely unacceptable since, not only had I already had six botched installation appointments, been told that Voom was sending the installer the antenna (I was even told the brand, model number, and that it would take them a week to ship it out), been asked for my permission to have two large poles installed in my backyard, and been told every time that Voom was covering the cost, but I had also been told I would receive a "retroactive refund for one month's service" because of all my inconveniences (along with the fact that my original installer had not aligned the dish correctly and that my first IRD was defective and it took them over a month to replace it) and never received it. She left me with those fateful last words "I'll have to send this to our escalation department for review" and, as expected, I never heard back from anybody.

I have been a very vocal supporter of Voom, both online and around town. I have tried to stand behind the company through all of the problems outlined above along with others I have not mentioned. I dealt patiently with lack of Olympic coverage, local sporting events, and other network programming I have endured because of this OTA antenna fiasco. I passed up better rates offered by my local cable company (who now offers more cable channels along with 21 HD channels including my local networks, the pay channels, and HDNet). And I have tried to work along with the CSR's and Voom's billing department with the one month's service credit I was promised and never received. All because I believed in Voom's vision. But I am now at my breaking point. It is embarrassing, after bragging about and promoting Voom to my friends and family, that I now have to drive to a friend's house to watch my home-team's ballgame or my local nightly news. I refuse to pay $600 for an antenna I was promised for free six times before and was always left disappointed about. I refuse to let my wasted time be worthless by allowing the month's credit I was promised to fall through the cracks in Voom's infamous escalation department. I refuse to be told by CRS's that "they don't blame me for cancelling, they deal with tons of them every day for the same reasons". The Voom I believed in is better than that. I've gone ahead and scheduled an appointment with my local cable company (SECTV) for an install of their extended cable, HD package, and every available pay movie channel on the 25th, if this isn't taken care of by then, I will unfortunately be joining the ranks of other past Voom subscribers adding to that high churn rate we hear so much about. This is my final cry for help. Wilt, or anyone else who may be able to help, are you listening?

Why do folks continually schedule installs on work days. Make it for a saturday or whatever day off you have. Make them come at your convienence....not theirs.

As for Installs re-nigging on their promise, I'd push the issue. I have to admit though that I'm astonished they (V*) would even consider biting the bullet on a $600 antenna.
Which, by the way, I'm dying to know what model antenna your talking about?

Why do folks continually schedule installs on work days. Make it for a saturday or whatever day off you have. Make them come at your convienence....not theirs.

I hear ya, but as a full-time college student with a full-time job, no matter what day of the week it is Monday thru Saturday, I will be forced to miss some work (I'm not willing to jeopardize my grades by missing a class for Voom). Now granted, in my situation my job is far from a "career move", however money is still money (and as I am sure many of you know all too well, in college every extra dollar counts).

As for Installs re-nigging on their promise, I'd push the issue. I have to admit though that I'm astonished they (V*) would even consider biting the bullet on a $600 antenna.

If I ever get a call back from Voom, I will be sure to find out the exact model number. If it helps, I know one Rep had asked for my permission to install "two large poles in my backyard". A few calls back, one of the Reps had given me the exact specs, but I didn't write them down and have since forgotten. I do know that I now have the basic Wineguard originally installed, and they told me that the "upgraded Wineguard usually used would not make a difference in my location" since, even though I am only 45 miles from Philly and the network antennas, I live in a densely populated valley. That was the explanation I was given as to why I would need this $600 antenna which the CSR told me needs a special approval from Installs, Inc. What adds to my anger in this situation is that Installs, Inc assured the Rep that this antenna would work for me, but that they had decided to go back on my approval for their covering of the cost for it.

bnl107 said:
I hear ya, but as a full-time college student with a full-time job, no matter what day of the week it is Monday thru Saturday, I will be forced to miss some work

Been there so I understand.

I still can't even phantom what a $600 antenna would be. Even the 'deep fringe' antenna's I've seen go for no more than $200.

I don't know your financial situation, but at this point I'd take things into my own hands and head out to a radio shack and buy an antenna that 'should' work. You can always return it if it doesn't.
Yes, I know this is what V* should do...but sometimes the aggravation isn't worth the $50 - 80 you might have to spend to do it yourself.

Mr. Biggles said:
Even the 'deep fringe' antenna's I've seen go for no more than $200.

I don't know your financial situation, but at this point I'd take things into my own hands and head out to a radio shack and buy an antenna that 'should' work. You can always return it if it doesn't.
Yes, I know this is what V* should do...but sometimes the aggravation isn't worth the $50 - 80 you might have to spend to do it yourself.

Can you give me information on one of those 'deep fringe' antennas you have mentioned? Anyone who has had positive results in a similar situation as mine (about 45-55 miles from the source and in a valley) with a specific antenna would be great? I also thought the $600 price the CSR quoted me was very high, but then again Installs, Inc did say I had an option to purchase it from them and have them "professionally install" it in order to have it under warranty. I'd be willing to bet that it is simply one of the $200 range antennas you mention with a huge mark-up to exploit Voomers like myself uneducated when it comes to digital antennas. If Voom can uphold their offer to refund one month's service fee to me for the time/money I have lost throughout this fiasco, I would consider using the money I would save to purchase and install an antenna on my own. It would atleast be worth a try before I commit to switching back to cable.

bnl107 said:
Can you give me information on one of those 'deep fringe' antennas you have mentioned?

Living in a valley can be tricky, but an example of a deep fringe antenna can be found here

ANC3671_zoom.gif

Antenna shown is not a RS model I am sure. Would stay away from them if I were you. My experience with RS antennas and pre-amps is that they are nothing but junk. Would go for a Channel Master or Winegard antenna.

Sean Mota said:
Seawaves,

did you cancel already? You seem to hang around a whole lot.

Nope and i have right to post dissent. Unless- of course you (as always) choose to enforce your thoughts upon this forum and edit those who do not agree with you, like the thread you closed earlier today.

Your off topic post tells me, that you think it's fine for Installs Inc to rip off this poor guy for 600 bucks. I do not.

This is my final cry for help. Wilt, or anyone else who may be able to help, are you listening?[/QUOTE]

If you stay with Voom like those of that have, it most likely won't be your last problem with Voom. If you can get your locals from DTV- they have a nice little deal on Sunday Ticket right now.

Seawaves said:
Nope and i have right to post dissent. Unless- of course you (as always) choose to enforce your thoughts upon this forum and edit those who do not agree with you, like the thread you closed earlier today.

Your off topic post tells me, that you think it's fine for Installs Inc to rip off this poor guy for 600 bucks. I do not.

You are very arrogant and ignorant. I have been trying to help the guy without you even knowing. More than what you one sentence have done. You are the one that is only imposing your ideas here with you one sentence critism. To you there's nothing right that VOOM can do. I just wonder what still keeps you hanging onto VOOM since you are telling others to cancel but you still remain with VOOM. Practice what you preach.... Please.

See what I mean you are imposing DTV to others. Why don't you just cancel like you want others to cancel and go to DTV and enjoy it and leave everybody alone and for one enjoy your NFL Ticket. No one is interested to know that since everybody knows that already.

Wow, this is getting nasty. Good reading material though. Sean don't ever let Scott take your place. The Voom forum wouldn't be as nearly entertaining.

txcruiser,

even though we had our dissagreements in the past, I think I have seen eye to eye and understand some of your posts and the same you have done. I have gone to other forums and post but have not try to tell in the D* or E* forum to change to VOOM because that will trolling. Posting my ideas about V* all over the D* or E* forum. On the contrary, I have people contact me privately and on the forum and I always told them like it is so that there will be no surprises. Negatives and positives without hiding anything. When I see that posters do this all over the place (here or in another forum) they are crossing the line.

Sean Mota said:
You are very arrogant and ignorant. I have been trying to help the guy without you even knowing. More than what you one sentence have done. You are the one that is only imposing your ideas here with you one sentence critism. To you there's nothing right that VOOM can do. I just wonder what still keeps you hanging onto VOOM since you are telling others to cancel but you still remain with VOOM. Practice what you preach.... Please.

Sean,

For a guy that hates name calling here, my what an example. He posted a thread and that in itself- allows others who have had his problem to be pissed. Post a new thread that says " Say nothing bad about Voom"!

You are nothing less than a SAT guys bully with a delete key. Help the poor guy, great. You are not God, I know you've helped people here but as many others before me have pointed out, isn't that part of the problem? That we have to keep coming to you and Voom cannot fix these many issues?

Sean Mota said:
See what I mean you are imposing DTV to others. Why don't you just cancel like you want others to cancel and go to DTV and enjoy it and leave everybody alone and for one enjoy your NFL Ticket. No one is interested to know that since everybody knows that already.

Didn't I just read a post by you saying you are about to leave Dish and perhaps Voom and go DTV? LMAO..

I canceled Dish a long time ago so It would be hard to suggest he move to Dish. At 600 bucks for an OTA (can a CSR say 600 without laughing?) maybe I should suggest his local cable instead of DTV.

Are you just pissed off we dumped Kevin Brown on you guys?

Seawaves said:
Didn't I just read a post by you saying you are about to leave Dish and perhaps Voom and go DTV? LMAO..

I canceled Dish a long time ago so It would be hard to suggest he move to Dish. At 600 bucks for an OTA (can a CSR say 600 without laughing?) maybe I should suggest his local cable instead of DTV.

Are you just pissed off we dumped Kevin Brown on you guys?

Seawaves,

again you are showing your ignorance by not even trying to read my posts correctly. As opposed to you I vote with my pocket. I have E*, V* and C* all because each has its own HD channels that they offer and I can't get them all under one umbrella. Just so that you can go back and re-read my post before you quote me. I have said that my $$$ that is going to E* right now will be going to D* IF the "rumors come true". A big "IF" but I am willing to change my $$$ to D* since E* is stuck in the mud regarding HD programming. I will still keep my V* subscription because D* will not cover everything that it is on V*. My C* subscription will probably go away too because D* will cover it as well. So I will saving a whole lot of money if the "D* RUMOR COMES TRUE".

So as you see Seawaves, I have not made the decision to drop V* but E* and probably C*. As I said before feelings have nothing to do with the decision of giving my $$$ to whomever carry the most HDs. I have no interest in any of these companies either.

I do not know what Kevin Brown has to do with the subject. As I said, nobody is blind about the $600 for an Antenna. Who in his right mind will pay for that? Do you make it a crusade to go after the bullies who are doing this? Man, relax and take a deep breath. If you are really pissed off about VOOM, the door is open and we do not to have this conversation.

I do not know what Kevin Brown has to do with the subject. Man, relax and take a deep breath. If you are really pissed off about VOOM, the door is open and we do not to have this conversation.[/QUOTE]

We all have our reasons for having Voom.

As you are a guy who daily flames others for name calling-back off. You are better than that.

Kevin Brown IS a deep breath. It's call changing subjects to cool things down. Worried about the Sox being on fire?...lol..

Holy crimminy this thread took a 90 degree turn towards ugliness.

Sean, your much better off when you see posts like Seawaves that are intended to incite to just delete them and be done with it. By commenting/reacting your falling right into his trap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts