A foot of snow on the ground and...

If the snow is light and powdery, it won't stick to your dish. Here in western NY, that is the snow we usually get and I never have a problem. It's usually early season, heavy wet snow, the type good for making snowmen and snow ballsm that sticks to the dish and causes loss of signal.

I still have satellite reception. EA dish.
I know you guys aren't used to much snow at all, but it does snow in a lot of the rest of the country and 90% of the time, snow build-up is not as much of an issue as people might think.

Besides, how does snow on the ground impact your reception ? :D

For me snow issues are usually related to wind direction. Wind coming from the south causes the snow to accumulate on my EA dish and has caused temporary issues for me in as little as a 2" snowfall. Bigger storms with winds from the north haven't been a problem...

Yes, it's up on my roof. It's the wet snow that does us in. And, for the record, the farther north you are, the more vertical your dish, so less opportunity for sticking snow than here in the South.

Last edited:
Argh! I just lost signal. :( The switch to the hotter SD transponder didn't help. Total loss of signal message.

You aren't missing anything, there isn't nothing worth while watching this morning.

Wet snow here. I had to walk out and knock off the snow. Lost signal this am after 9+ inches in East TN (also EA).

Wet snow here. I had to walk out and knock off the snow. Lost signal this am after 9+ inches in East TN (also EA).

Strangely I have lost the signal to just part of 118. Signal Code says 11-11-11. Does that mean anything to a cusomer. There is about 6" on both dishes, but no other problems.

What is this SNOW stuff you all are talking about. I know it's cold here in So Cal, in the low 50s but I haven't seen it affect my sat signal yet. Hopefully it will warm up into the 70s by noon.

I was born/raised in Anaheim, CA. Snow was something we visited in Big Bear.

And... My satellite reception is back. I shoved enough of the driveway (official measurement 14") to dig out my car and see the dish. It now has only a saucer-sized bit of snow on it. We're slightly above freezing now. I imagine the majority of the wet snow slumped off.

Our eastern arc 1k4 dish collects the snow much worse than than the western arc.It's elevated just right for snow catching.

I was born/raised in Anaheim, CA. Snow was something we visited in Big Bear.

And... My satellite reception is back. I shoved enough of the driveway (official measurement 14") to dig out my car and see the dish. It now has only a saucer-sized bit of snow on it. We're slightly above freezing now. I imagine the majority of the wet snow slumped off.

What? You never went to Mt. Baldy? :D

Oddly, I never lost signal until about 10 AM this morning. It snowed and then freezing rained all of yesterday afternoon and last night. Reception was fine when we first got up. When I checked on the dish (thankfully a pole mount), it had a full inch of snow and ice covering it. I was able to clean it off easily enough. No idea how it was working so well early in the morning. I am on EA, with the 2 LNB black Dish HD setup.

-Ted

I live in Pittsburgh DMA and as an installer who hates heights, 40 degrees is easier to hit than 20 degrees lol. But seriously, since I switched from my 1000.2 WA to my 1000.4 EA I've lost signal far less. I'll promote the Eastern Arc forever.

What? You never went to Mt. Baldy? :D

I nearly DIED on Mt Baldy! So, yes, I went there too. But the family preferred Big Bear.

Incidentally, as of 2PM, I (with help from my girls) dug out our cars and shoveled out to the street. We are FREE at last!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)