A great find...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Texanmutt

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Somewere in texas
Just the other day I was doing a Dish net install at a customers house when i saw the mesh panels of a dish in the back yard. I talked to the owner and he told me i could have the whole system. Today i went go pick up a few things from him today. Here's what i picked up today-

Attachments

• dish 004.jpg
    dish 004.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 174
  • dish 003.jpg
    dish 003.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 168
  • dish 001.jpg
    dish 001.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 155
  • dish 002.jpg
    dish 002.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 162
  • dish 005.jpg
    dish 005.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 155
  • dish 006.jpg
    dish 006.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 143
I wish, it will be a few months before i will be in a house that i can put this dish up at. The guy I got it from still has to find the feed support and the brackets that attach the mesh panels to the polar mount. But since he's giving me this stuff for free, i cant complain. The panels are about 5' 2" so I'm guessing it is a 10 footer. On another note, how can i make sure if the VCRS module is ok? I dont think that the receiver has been plugged in for a while, so I'm not sure if the battery is ok.

Fantastic find!
I have that Wineguard mound with a Wineguard 8 ft perforated disk. Have had it 15 yrs and 2 houses! Only changed out the LNB dish mover once....been thru 100 mph windstorms too Excellent product!!! (IMHO nuch better than a mesh dish)
best of luck with it...congratulations! (I use it with 4dtv in Reno, NV....beautiful picture! (C+KU and now FTA!!!)
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
Fantastic find!
I have that Wineguard mound with a Wineguard 8 ft perforated disk. Have had it 15 yrs and 2 houses! Only changed out the LNB dish mover once....been thru 100 mph windstorms too Excellent product!!! (IMHO nuch better than a mesh dish)
best of luck with it...congratulations! (I use it with 4dtv in Reno, NV....beautiful picture! (C+KU and now FTA!!!)
Jeff

You can check the VCII BATTERY for voltage with a cheap Volt/ohm meter as a start. fROM THE LOOKS OF YOUR CASE, IT IS STILL EPOXIED CLOSED...LOOKS LIKE THE STICKER SAYS 1993 MFG DATE....IT IS VERY CLOSE (SAME DATE AS MY OWN!) TO BATTERY EXPIRATION AND THE PICTURE LOOKS LIKE IT HAS THE YELLOW PANASONIC 3.0 V BATTERY. THERE ARE BLACK, THEN BLUE, THEN PINK MODULES...I AM GETTING A RED ONE WHICH I DID NOT KNOW EXISTED! My old one will become a spare if the new one dies...VCII will not be around too much longer since it seems like anything decent is going over to the 4dtv digital side on BUDS

note: observe correct polarity!!!!

If you find decent voltage, the next step is to try it out in a receiver. You press the correct buttons on the receiver (depends on the receiver) to bring up the unit id which will match the id sticker on the back of the VCRS (OR VCII+) MODULE If they are different, it has either been rebuilt AND REPROGRAMMED (there is a screw under the top seal, IF IT IS VISIBLE, SOMEONE HAS BEEN INSIDE, or it is probably dead!

Use alligator clips to extend the probes and touch the correct leads of the battery through the case...if it is a yellow battery, it is probably 3.0 Volts (panasonic oem)....red will be 3.6 Volts (Maxell oem )...even lower voltage should hold the unit ID...you can send it in to replace the battery if it is still alive (do a google search) or try it yourself...use caution though!! see site below! BTW: you would have to cut through the epoxy they used to seal the board...a real pain EVEN WITH A DREMEL TOOL ...rest is pretty EASY especially if you use the alternate method mentioned with the AA battery and holder! CAUTION WITH LITHIUM...CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY IF THEY BLOW...READ THE ARTICLE VERY CAREFULLY!

MY BLUE VCII+ IS 13 YRS OLD AND STILL MEASURES 3.1 v (IT IS THE YELLOW PANASONIC ONE) THEY SEEM TO KEEP ALIVE LONGER WHEN THEY ARE NOT USED (but can go to 0 over night when they are old!)SO YOU MAY BE IN VERY GOOD SHAPE! I RECENTLY BOUGHT A REFURBED UNIT OFF EBAY FOR $100 WITH A NEW BATTERY AS OF DEC 10, 05....I WILL BE DOING A BATTER-ECTEMY ON MY OWN VCII+ BLUE UNIT WHEN I GET A LITTLE TIME!
(YOURS IS A VCRS ...RENEWABLE SECURITY CARD SLOT, IN CASE THEIR SECURITY WAS BROKEN AGAIN , WHICH WAS NEVER IMPLIMENTED). SINCE IT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN IN STORAGE FOR A LONG TIME, YOU HAVE A GOOD SHOT AT IT STILL BEING GOOD!

here is an VERY informative link FOR YOU

http://www.pacificsites.com/~alanjudd/vc.htm

Good Luck
Jeff

Last edited:
Texanmutt said:
I wish, it will be a few months before i will be in a house that i can put this dish up at. The guy I got it from still has to find the feed support and the brackets that attach the mesh panels to the polar mount. But since he's giving me this stuff for free, i cant complain. The panels are about 5' 2" so I'm guessing it is a 10 footer. On another note, how can i make sure if the VCRS module is ok? I dont think that the receiver has been plugged in for a while, so I'm not sure if the battery is ok.

The Uniden will be ok its just a analog tuner inside, its the VCII+ board that has the battery, it should still be ok, to make sure the VC board lasts till the new house you can plug the Uniden with the VC board inside and keep it pluged in till you move and set the dish up, you can also have the battery changed in the board from ATS or you can do it if you are good at that stuff, I did mine and a few for some buddy's, it was simple.

Best thing to do is get the battery changed, because if it is still good now, when you unplug it when you move it can die while your going to the new place.

Texanmutt said:
@party Yea, it is a yellow battery and has 3 volts on it.

That is great...I still would not waste any time in getting a new battery into it....by yourself or sending it in!!

Regards
jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)