A Scammer at My Door

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markfp-1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
So the doorbell rings yesterday and when I look out I see this rusty old pickup with a ladder on it in my driveway. When I went out the guy with the truck says he noticed my dish and had a "great" offer for me. For just $150 he'd cancel my DirecTV service and "fix" my dish so I'd get all of their channels for free forever. All I had to do was give him either a check or my credit card info and my DirecTV account number (he said he didn't like to carry around a lot of cash) and within 24 hours I'd have lifetime free programming.

Now it was my turn to scam him. I told him I didn't need free service because I already had it since I worked for DirecTV (I don't) and you should have seen the look on his face. At the point, he just said "never mind" and practically ran for his truck. The moron wasn't fast enough get out of there before I got is license number which I reported to police and DirecTV.

I've heard of a lot of scams before, but this was a new one on me. I wonder how many folks fall for this stuff.

Let's hope he does not get in an accident as his mom would not be proud of him. After leaving your house, he no longer has any clean underwear. :D

So the doorbell rings yesterday and when I look out I see this rusty old pickup with a ladder on it in my driveway. When I went out the guy with the truck says he noticed my dish and had a "great" offer for me. For just $150 he'd cancel my DirecTV service and "fix" my dish so I'd get all of their channels for free forever. All I had to do was give him either a check or my credit card info and my DirecTV account number (he said he didn't like to carry around a lot of cash) and within 24 hours I'd have lifetime free programming.

Now it was my turn to scam him. I told him I didn't need free service because I already had it since I worked for DirecTV (I don't) and you should have seen the look on his face. At the point, he just said "never mind" and practically ran for his truck. The moron wasn't fast enough get out of there before I got is license number which I reported to police and DirecTV.

I've heard of a lot of scams before, but this was a new one on me. I wonder how many folks fall for this stuff.

This is a very old scam, sort of.
Guy comes to your house says he'll get you free D* if you give him your cash (or credit card) cash is easier ... He then calls D* (with your account number you gave him) orders the Premiere package .....
Looks like everything is on as all channels have TV when you glance thru the channels.
Your happy ......
Till later on when you check a PPV and find that they don't work.
You figure, oh well, everything else works ....

Then next month you get a bill for the D* service that is the cost of the Premier package and realize that he simply took your money (and possibly your CC ) and activated the package so you end up paying for it regardless and you gave him $ 150 or your CC numbers.

an old neighbor of mine used to brag about how he bought some bootleg D* equipment and had it installed from a flea market that gave him everything for free. he got into an argument from another neighbor and got his ass handed to him when that neighbor called D* on him. I thought that was pretty funny, its not smart to advertise giving away illegal service

an old neighbor of mine used to brag about how he bought some bootleg D* equipment and had it installed from a flea market that gave him everything for free. he got into an argument from another neighbor and got his ass handed to him when that neighbor called D* on him. I thought that was pretty funny, its not smart to advertise giving away illegal service

that sounds like something you would see from a red neck at a trailer park

that sounds like something you would see from a red neck at a trailer park
it really is. i don't think he got free HD because I went over to his house once for a party and there was no HD sports

Ok....geez....I'm sorry. I didn't have anything better to do and it sounded like a great idea at the time. :eek:

Here is another variation of the scam.

He takes the 150 and your account number adds premiere tells you never have to worry about your account agian changes phone number adds a password , he then orders a couple of boxes under your name and you dont know as you stop recieveing a bill ( he changed the billing address) then he orders a few more receivers eventually your have 15 20 recivers on the account that so bozo is chargeing 50 dollars a month for each and when signal security comes looking they come looking for you.

I'd scam the scammer. I would of told him that this is my dads house, and he is not home. I would of told him I have D* at my house and like his offer. I don't have the funds for the programing on me but if he could give me his name and number, I would call him when I do. I also know a few people that would want the programing. If he is stupid enough to give me his name and number, I would call him back later, give a fake name and ask him if he would "hook me up", just to make sure. If he says yes, I would give him an address other than mine. I would then call the police and D* to let them know what I did. I would give them his name and number so they can set him up and arrest him.

I'd scam the scammer. I would of told him that this is my dads house, and he is not home. I would of told him I have D* at my house and like his offer. I don't have the funds for the programing on me but if he could give me his name and number, I would call him when I do. I also know a few people that would want the programing. If he is stupid enough to give me his name and number, I would call him back later, give a fake name and ask him if he would "hook me up", just to make sure. If he says yes, I would give him an address other than mine. I would then call the police and D* to let them know what I did. I would give them his name and number so they can set him up and arrest him.
When you give him the address to have service hooked up at, give him the Police station address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)