Abyss 4K

You haven't answered my question yet. Is the pot calling the kettle black?

Perhaps you can explain how object-oriented sound can be derived from a two-channel soundtrack for more than the original two channels?

Probably the same way they seem to make excellent 3D conversions like Titanic and the MCU. BTW, reviewers are giving The Abyss audio high marks.

Probably the same way they seem to make excellent 3D conversions like Titanic and the MCU. BTW, reviewers are giving The Abyss audio high marks.
3D can be readily approximated using 2D perspective as the camera pans across the scene. Stereo audio is one-dimensional and offers no altitude cues; ostensibly the big attraction of Atmos.

Later releases of titles like "Terminator" were a labor of love to convert to surround and the result wasn't always to die for. That said, 2.1 is probably better than 2.0.

And just an FYI.the Abyss and True Lies masters are 5.1 not stereo.
ShotOnWhat? indicates that Abyss was four-track stereo and six-track 70mm format: five front channels (L, LC, C, RC and R) and one rear channel.

True Lies was six-channel, Dolby 5.1 and DTS.

Dumb argument. They have been adding Atmos tracks to many recent 4k re-releases. I recently bought the 4k disk of the 1984 Red Dawn. It includes both Dolby Vision and Atmos. Neither format existed back then. I haven't watched it yet but tend to think the packaging is not a lie. As long as someone is willing to spend the time and money it can and is being done.

Reactions: navychop
ShotOnWhat? indicates that Abyss was four-track stereo and six-track 70mm format: five front channels (L, LC, C, RC and R) and one rear channel.

True Lies was six-channel, Dolby 5.1 and DTS.

6 channel 70 MM is basically 4.1. Discreet L, C, R, LFE, and nondiscreet (mono) surrounds. That is why movies Die Hard, Terminator, etc. don't have discreet surrounds. There's a huge list of these movies all made around the same time. Very popular format with Fox and MGM at that time.

Dumb argument. They have been adding Atmos tracks to many recent 4k re-releases. I recently bought the 4k disk of the 1984 Red Dawn. It includes both Dolby Vision and Atmos. Neither format existed back then. I haven't watched it yet but tend to think the packaging is not a lie. As long as someone is willing to spend the time and money it can and is being done.
I have it also, discrete effects from the side/back speakers, but still very front heavy.

Did not notice any sounds from my Atmos speakers, afterwards looked up a review and found this-

But—though the release was never promoted as such—the packaging claims to include a new Dolby Atmos mix that isn’t actually on the disc. That’s an unfortunate error and also a shame, because the title could certainly benefit from upgraded audio. As it stands, the surrounds are used lightly for effects and atmosphere, but the 5.1 soundstage is mostly front and center.

Hey Bruce, do you have any "insider" info of what happened that caused nearly everyone to apparently sell out Abyss and Aliens in one day? Did Disney get overwhelmed by demand? My Amazon pre-order (Abyss) has been pushed all the way back to April 15-19 (from the original 3/12). Does not seem to be available now anywhere.

Hey Bruce, do you have any "insider" info of what happened that caused nearly everyone to apparently sell out Abyss and Aliens in one day? Did Disney get overwhelmed by demand? My Amazon pre-order (Abyss) has been pushed all the way back to April 15-19 (from the original 3/12). Does not seem to be available now anywhere.

I’m seeing the same thing. True Lies and Aliens still due to arrive later this month. I’m guessing higher than expected demand.

I saw somewhere online that it was a distribution issue, so the discs weren't coming out quick enough. Probably add to the fact that people have been waiting for The Abyss to come out for over a decade, that likely caused problems too with orders being too high.

Easy answer, more people wanted them then they made.

But I received mine last Tuesday, ordered them the moment pre-orders were available-

IMG_1170.jpeg

I saw somewhere online that it was a distribution issue, so the discs weren't coming out quick enough. Probably add to the fact that people have been waiting for The Abyss to come out for over a decade, that likely caused problems too with orders being too high.
Over THREE decades.

Over THREE decades.
He means on Blu-Ray/4K, it came out on DVD on November 7, 2000, never had a BR release, so two decades and 4 years, so you are closer then he is.

True Lies also never had a BR release, but it was available to buy for a short time on Vudu in 1080P and Widescreen, I bought it then, Abyss was only available digitally in SD 4x3 for a short time, looked terrible.

Aliens has always been available on BR, including the extended version ( the best way to watch it).

He means on Blu-Ray/4K, it came out on DVD on November 7, 2000, never had a BR release, so two decades and 4 years, so you are closer then he is.

True Lies also never had a BR release, but it was available to buy for a short time on Vudu in 1080P and Widescreen, I bought it then, Abyss was only available digitally in SD 4x3 for a short time, looked terrible.

Aliens has always been available on BR, including the extended version ( the best way to watch it).
Blu-ray launched in 2006 and the format war wasn’t settled until 2008, so I’d say the wait in earnest didn’t start until 2010.

Blu-ray launched in 2006 and the format war wasn’t settled until 2008, so I’d say the wait in earnest didn’t start until 2010.
So, 14-18 Years.