Account Stacking

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CambridgeGuy

Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
What is account stacking? Why does everyone claim its illegal? I've looked all over for that particular law?

Sounds like Dish made it up to steal more money out of the public.

There's no "law" you'll find so it's not technically "illegal". It's against the terms that you agree to when you sign up with Dish.

What it is is when someone gets a multi-room setup and after it's done and activated, they buy their own satellite dish(es), install them at someone else's house (parent's, cousin's, friend's, etc) and move one or more of the receivers there. Now there is full-blown Dish service at (2) locations all paid on one bill. Dish doesn't allow that, nor should they.

There's no "law" you'll find so it's not technically "illegal". It's against the terms that you agree to when you sign up with Dish.

What it is is when someone gets a multi-room setup and after it's done and activated, they buy their own satellite dish(es), install them at someone else's house (parent's, cousin's, friend's, etc) and move one or more of the receivers there. Now there is full-blown Dish service at (2) locations all paid on one bill. Dish doesn't allow that, nor should they.

I believe it has something to do with copright law as well.

I don't think it's copyright law....

You enter into a "civil" agreement when you sign up (with any company) and you could go to civil court if you violate any part of it.

they should discount or something if people want to do that.. like if you have two homes or you're paying for your grandparents box or something..

they would probably find less people "stacking" if they did that..

If they offered say like 15-20 bux for an additional home I would probably get a box for my mom..

What if I own two homes, one at the beach and one in the city. I spend equal time at both locations but obviously cannot be in two places at once. Do I need to have two accounts? What if I have an RV and travel? There has to be specifics for people that travel or have two homes.

Yes. Two accounts.

Wow... I don't own two homes yet but that is just stupid. I can't blame people for trying to find a work around. It is foolish to pay double when you are the only one using it. It would be different if you shared it with a relative or friend and split the cost.

This is another case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch I guess.

I know people who pack their receivers with them when they go to their other home.. which is stupid, it keeps them from getting extra revenue from the multiple receivers

I'm not defending Dish and if I owned a 2nd home, I'd take my receiver(s) with me when I went.

Look at it this way, can you share your electric utility account between multiple locations ? What about your telephone (landline) ? Some of those do have the option to "suspend" service or some call it "vacation" or similar.

I'm not defending Dish and if I owned a 2nd home, I'd take my receiver(s) with me when I went.

Look at it this way, can you share your electric utility account between multiple locations ? What about your telephone (landline) ? Some of those do have the option to "suspend" service or some call it "vacation" or similar.

Actually, your point plays the other direction regarding electric. Electric is metered, so you are obviously going to use more in whichever location you are in. You aren't going to have a $400 electric bill at both locations at the same time. It might be $400 at your city house and $60 at the beach house all winter and then $350 at the beach house all summer and $110 at the city house when you are not there.

As far as phone, I have Vonage and can take it anywhere I go. Yes this would mean maintaining an Internet connection at each house but that is a lot cheaper than Dish twice, and something I'd probably do anyway.

If and when I buy a second home, I do not feel I should or want to pay for Dish twice. I can't be at both places at once.

And you know, if it was just people with two homes they probably wouldn't have a problem with it, but it is people taking advantage and splitting it with a neighbor or friend. Obviously that is theft and wrong. But according to their contract it is wrong to split it between two homes as well... go figure.

What is account stacking? Why does everyone claim its illegal? I've looked all over for that particular law?

Sounds like Dish made it up to steal more money out of the public.

Actually you have it backwards. Account stacking was made up by the public to steal from Dish.

As far as Illegal and against the law, I don't think that I've ever heard of Dish sending in the police to arrest anyone for this. They just cancel the account.

As far as phone, I have Vonage and can take it anywhere I go. Yes this would mean maintaining an Internet connection at each house but that is a lot cheaper than Dish twice, and something I'd probably do anyway.
You can take a DISH box with you along with your vonage box. What's the problem?

If and when I buy a second home, I do not feel I should or want to pay for Dish twice. I can't be at both places at once.
You don't have to pay for DISH twice.
Take your box with you!!!

You can take a DISH box with you along with your vonage box. What's the problem?

You don't have to pay for DISH twice.
Take your box with you!!!

I know you can and you can get away with it. But from what everybody has said, you are breaking their agreement. Stupid agreement.

Well, to compare apples to apples - call up your cable company & tell them that you want service at 2 homes for the price of one.....

Well, to compare apples to apples - call up your cable company & tell them that you want service at 2 homes for the price of one.....

Dish and DirecTV are nationwide providers. None of the cable companies are. Even if you move between cities and still have Time Warner for example, you are assigned a new account number and dealing with a different regional office if you go outside your original area. You can take Dish with you when you move. One of the selling points in many of our minds to dish would be that it is not tethered to one place and that you could take it if you move or weld it to your RV.

So many of us would expect that if we had a second home, we could use one account, with or without Dish's permission or knowledge.

From my experience here in Western (and Eastern) Michigan, they're very happy to do that, if they provide in both locations. It saves them having to schedule a boatload of installers when cottage and camping season starts up again. They charge most who ask around here between $5 and $15/month to have full digital cable service at the "out of season" home and regular prices at the in season home. I don't think most Dish Subscribers with true second homes would balk at that idea.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Local HD networks on 61.5??

Problem with USB port on back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)