Acoustical Treatment

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Here is my current plan for the room I have now.

Gik Acoustics 242 panels, 3 pack.

242 Acoustic Panel Broadband : GIK Acoustics

professionally constructed with a rigid core and built-in air gap
easy wall and ceiling installation using wire integrated in the back like a picture frame
free standing options available using brackets or metal stands
employs ECOSE technology
standard size: 24” x 48” x 3.5”
weight: 9 lbs (each)
can be custom sized to fit your specifications
available in 9 standard GIK Acoustics fabric colors
additional Guilford of Maine fabric choices available

Here is a shot of it on optional stand, of course mine will be wall mounted:
242_250.jpg

I do not have a shot of my seating, but using this image you can imagine it. Exact same as the wall behind the display, except longer. Very tall as well. We have one chair, and a 3 person couch that may be 3" off that wall, with nothing on the wall now. Im sure we are getting a lot of reflections.

42fd3f4e.jpg

My plan, using this image as an idea, is 3 panels of some color. One would be mounted vertically behind my chair, and 2 more would be centered behind the couch.

PhonePhotos014.jpg

The earlier the reflection, the more muddled your sound will be. I would go for side walls before back walls if they are closer to the primary (money) seats.

There's a particular interval in time where the reflected sound is perceived as interfering with the sound. After that interval, it no longer has a psychoacoustic effect. Sorry, I don't have that information in front of me.

I'd go with 7-9 myself -- with 2 on each side and 3-5 across the back.

If you have a laser pointer you can determine where the placement should be. Set the laser on top of the speaker and walk the mirror along the wall until the laser bounces off the mirror into the target seat. Repeat for each speaker you are treating for.

Interesting topic for discussion :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. For the sides, there really is no "side", which is the reason I planned for 3 along the back wall.

This is a crappy drawing of the layout. One side is the kitchen opening,and the other side is the bedroom door and back door. I just figured sitting right up against this large blank wall, some panels may help things out a bit.

328aeefc.jpg

I was thinking of a more traditional layout. Based on your drawing, that's probably the best starting point. You might also consider some diffusors for the ceiling as well down the road.

That might be the best choice, given the room. Personally, I think I would live with it without treatments. This is one of those impossible layouts.

Tying this into your other thread, about the new sub, keep in mind that the effective volume of the room includes the kitchen/dining room as they aren't sealed off.

I've decided to give ATS Acoustics a try. I am getting 7 panels from them: 2 on each side to cover early reflections, one behind the center speaker (it's too close to the wall) and two bass traps in the corners.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

ATS panels come in two types: 2-inch and 4-inch thick. 4-inch panels have a somewhat lower WAF, but according to ATS, they are four times more effective at 125Hz bass absorption than 2-inch panels. The price difference is not very big: $46.95 vs. $37.95 for a 24" x 36" panel (and some extra $$ in shipment costs). The two panel types perform equally well at 500Hz and above. Since my room is relatively small, the under 500Hz performance is very important for me. So I decided to go with 4-inch panels.

The ATS panels have arrived! Good initial impression: solid, heavy construction, nice looking fabric. Installing them now.

I am amazed how effective these acoustic panels are! What a difference they make!
And I didn't realize how noisy my room was until I put my ear close to one of these panels. Wow!
I can really hear the silence. :D
Don't put these panels too close to your siting position. Certainly don't put them on the wall behind you!

I am revisiting this, because to be honest there are no more audio upgrades for me to do. These make the most sense especially since I have REW now.

I am thinking that will be my next step, and anyone that has looked at my room said to start with some behind the towers.

I was thinking 24"x36"x2" panels from ATS behind each 7ii, maybe 48" if they fit.

IMG_1655_zpswkfbufsb.jpg

IMG_1653_zps2gei9t8y.jpg

IMG_1647_zpsyzkdffig.jpg

Thoughts?

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--ATS-Acoustic-Panel-24-x-36-x-2--1046.html

Room dim you can see are 25' long, 13' wide and 14' tall.

Here is what I got back from GIK

"Thanks for the email. Yes panels behind the speakers will help with things like SBIR, but looking over your pictures I would start with something like our 244 bass trap or Monster Bass Trap behind the couch on the wall. You are sitting very close to that wall so the reflections are going to be pretty strong. I would recommend 2 to 4 panels in that area if possible to start. I would hang them as close to the couch so they are directly behind your head. From there I would look to place one 244 behind each speaker to help with the SBIR. "

I am thinking three 24x48" panels on the back wall behind the sofa and chair, evenly spaced out.

I tend to agree with GIK. Normally I would look at panels at the first reflection points on the side walls and bass traps on the front coners. However your room is wide and not deep, so reflections are going to be coming off the back wall before anything else. The fireplace and the opening on the right kill corner bass traps up front.

Perhaps in addition to the traps in the rear, you could add a panel treatment to the hallway on the right

Yep, we are having some back and forth. This part is fairly new to me, but I get with the wall being so close to us and the room being narrow, I want to stop that stuff kicking off the back wall and coming back.

Looks like I am going to order four 24"x48"x2" panels for the back wall in the normal material. Suede is cool but I do not think I want to mess with it. I am going to leave the material and color up to the wife...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)