Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Hi,

I need to run another coax line from the dish to my 2nd DVR. Currently I have:

3 LNB Oval Dish
1 Directv HR10-250
1 RCA DVR40
1 RCA DRD435RH

Right now, I am running the DVR40 with a single satellite input, but I would really like to have both inputs which means adding a line from the dish. I was wondering what my options are for accomplishing this goal.

Thanks,
Ted

i can sell a 4*8 to you for 35 plus shipping....

brand new in the box...

pm me...

Last edited:
The Tate said:
you need a 4x8 or 5x8 switch

check with Robert @ Value Electronics

http://www.valueelectronics.com/accessories.htm#multi-switches

These multi-switches--are they basically splitters (ie. send in one line from the satellite dish and get 2 separate and usable ones back?)

I've gotten a second DVR and have been dealing with only having one connection to it (all four line outs are being used), but if there is a simple (and fairly inexpensive) way to add the other line, I'd do it.

EDIT: I looked at the dish I have, and it is an Eagle Phase III oval dish with a built in multiswitch with 4 outputs. So I basically have 4 coax cables coming out of the arm in front of the dish and going directly into the various receivers I have. Is there any way to get one more output with this rig?

Last edited:
Well..

You cannot really call them splitters. Let me give you a breakdown.

The receivers send voltage out to power the LNB in 13v and 18v increments.
13v is for ODD transponders and 18v is for EVEN transponders. On satellite 101 there are 32 transponders that Directv uses. 110 has 3 and 119 has 11.

What a switch does is break the 13 and 18 volt sides so that if one receiver is using an odd transponder another can use an even transponder.

The 4x or 5x switch breaks satellite 101 and divides the 13 and 18 volt and satellite 110 and 119 is broken by using the 13 and 18 volt and sending a 22k tone to the lnbs.

A splitter will not work because it will not let the power pass though and also if you try to watch a different channel on one receiver than the other and they are 2 different voltages you will get no signal on one receiver.

You will have to use a 4x or 5x switch with your dish. All 4 cables will go into the input and you will have 8 outputs then.

The Tate said:
Well..

13v is for ODD transponders and 18v is for EVEN transponders. On satellite 101 there are 32 transponders that Directv uses. 110 has 3 and 119 has 11.

What a switch does is break the 13 and 18 volt sides so that if one receiver is using an odd transponder another can use an even transponder.

The 4x or 5x switch breaks satellite 101 and divides the 13 and 18 volt and satellite 110 and 119 is broken by using the 13 and 18 volt and sending a 22k tone to the lnbs.

A splitter will not work because it will not let the power pass though and also if you try to watch a different channel on one receiver than the other and they are 2 different voltages you will get no signal on one receiver.

You will have to use a 4x or 5x switch with your dish. All 4 cables will go into the input and you will have 8 outputs then.

Ok, I understand the difference between the two.

Just to make sure I understand correctly: Can I still use a 4x8 multiswitch with my setup even though it has a built in multiswitch and the outputs are the "direct to receiver" type rather than what you would get prior to the signal reaching the built in multiswitch?

If so, are there any considerations I need to make in purchasing such a multiswitch since it is not going to be getting the "pure" satellite feed and instead will be getting the "direct to receiver" type output?

Since Raleigh/Durham are due for HD LIL channels what about ordering the upgrade and having D* pay to add a switch as part of the upgrade? Since he'd be adding another receiver, which would require the switch that would be included wouldn't it?

Why does he even need a switch? Unless I am missing something... I only see 3 lines being used... the dish has 4 outputs... just run an extra line from the dish to the 2nd DVR...

Jerry

On edit... I missed the HD-Tivo... he needs a switch if he wants to use both inputs...

Last edited:
The Tate said:
Well..

WOW TATE,

we ought to make a satellite tech out of you!!:eek: LOL

rad said:
Since Raleigh/Durham are due for HD LIL channels what about ordering the upgrade and having D* pay to add a switch as part of the upgrade? Since he'd be adding another receiver, which would require the switch that would be included wouldn't it?

I have no plans to switch to the MPEG4 equipment any time soon. I get my OTA HD channels on my HD TiVo almost perfectly. I really do prefer the TiVo interface, especially after playing around with an R15. I also like that it (TiVo) uses Linux. Using a proprietary OS to replace Linux in D* DVRs seems like a step in the wrong direction to me. (I am a Linux Systems Engineer)

I am set for now (except for the multi-switch which I have not made a decision about). I will wait to see how things pan out over the next couple of years with TiVo. I am very interested in the series 3, but I don't really want to go back to cable.

Ted

johnnychemo said:
If so, are there any considerations I need to make in purchasing such a multiswitch since it is not going to be getting the "pure" satellite feed and instead will be getting the "direct to receiver" type output?

Yes, it will have to be cascadable.

So if I get a 4x8 cascadable switch, I'm good to go.
Thanks!
Any model/make recommendations?

I would recommend a 5x8 multiswitch

If the OTA coax is connected to the multiswitch along with the four satellite cables, all you will need would be diplexers at the receivers. By the way, I was told by an installer that problems of signal loss arise from running from a dish multiswitch to another multiswitch. Ideally with a 5x8 multiswitch, you don't need one built into the dish.Can anyone with knowledge comment on this?

I was referring to the multiswitch that is built into

The Oval 3LNB dish. Good to get a question from an installer(even if he is a Steeler fan), a former Buckeye, I am a Browns fan.To be specific, when I had the original round dish, I had 2lnbs.with two lines coming into the house to a Sony tivo receiver and another receiver. When tivo went to two inputs, I had to get a multiswitch. I got a Radio Shack 3x4 multiswitch and everything worked fine. Then I got an HDTV and the 3lnb dish was installed and three inputs into the same multiswitch. As a result there was a big signal loss on the 110 satellite, making some of my HD channels unwatchable. The installed came out a second time and told me that he had checked with his supervisor and was told that the problem was caused by having two multiswitches on the same line, the one at the dish plus the one in the basement. The solution was to run a fourth line in from the dish. My reception on 110 was better but still not good enough in marginable weather, so I went to a Gainmaster 45x24 dish and now get in the high 90s on all three satellites. It seems that no one here in Maine gets better than the 70s on the 110 satellite with the smaller dish. Hope this answers your question. Have you encountered the two multiswitch problem?

Correction

Make that three lines in from the dish with the oval 3lnb dish. I now have four lines in from my new GainMaster dish because it does not have a built in multiswitch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts