Adding a third Hopper

I actually use my HIC in reverse to give an Ethernet connection to my centralized network storage :) .

As for which method is better, technically Ethernet to all boxes is better, but the only time you'd notice any difference is if you were completely saturating the MoCA network all the time. I need to figure out if Hopper MoCA is half-duplex or full-duplex. I'm leaning towards half. I'll have to try to saturate the MoCA sometime to find out. Properly configured Ethernet is full-duplex.

Sorry for your cross eyes. LOL Diagram is a little busy. The reason for the CATV coming in along with Dish TV is we were long time cable TV subscribers. I heard all about the thunderstorm blackouts so I wanted a backup when I built our Dish TV system back in 2007. In fact I built in two backup systems, cable and OTA. The cable was only about $5.00 a month back then for very basic channels bundled in with our Internet service. Since then we quit the cable TV because the price was increased. Kept the A/B switch in place so it will be quick to select cable service if we go back to it or if we sell the house the new owners won’t have to worry about it. If cable is selected at the A/B switch the whole home will have cable service thru the home distribution splitter.

The one cable you are asking about coming out of the Hopper going to all TVs (except one) is the RF modulator signal. Three Hoppers have this set up. All the non HD TVs have a choice to watch different channels from these three Hoppers thru the home distribution splitter. Even the HD TVs (except one) have the RF mod signal coming to them too. The only TV that does not have the mod signal is the kids room. There is only one coax going to his room so he just has a Hopper. When he had a 722 I diplexed his room with the mod signals so he could view recordings from the other three 722s if he wished. But, no diplexing is allowed with the Hopper systems. He really doesn’t need it anyway with the whole home Hopper system. He can select any of the three other Hoppers to watch a recording. Another reason I have the modulation signal to all TVs is the wife and I like to sync a recording together at the same time from two different TVs. The Hopper system can’t do that.

Ahhh.. Ok, that makes sense. That question was more for trying to figure out the "whys" more than are you crazy. lol That is a very clean setup. Once I get some other renovations done in my house I am doing a central cat6 and rg-6 wiring setup.

I actually use my HIC in reverse to give an Ethernet connection to my centralized network storage :) .

As for which method is better, technically Ethernet to all boxes is better, but the only time you'd notice any difference is if you were completely saturating the MoCA network all the time. I need to figure out if Hopper MoCA is half-duplex or full-duplex. I'm leaning towards half. I'll have to try to saturate the MoCA sometime to find out. Properly configured Ethernet is full-duplex.

I am going to say full. Let us know the outcome. LOL

Ahhh.. Ok, that makes sense. That question was more for trying to figure out the "whys" more than are you crazy. lol That is a very clean setup. Once I get some other renovations done in my house I am doing a central cat6 and rg-6 wiring setup.

Thanks, yep central is the way to go.

That's why I love the Hopper system, It seems flexible, and hardy! The moca signal can travel through just about anything that carries a current.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts