Ads Taking Over Sat. Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
It only happens to me on this site. These ads appear and are impossible to x off, making it impossible for me to view this site. They just keep re appearing. The only way I can view this site is to turn off Java Script. But that disables my auto fill password feature on my I Pad.

Why is this happening? Why does it only happen to me on Satellite Guys?

I have for the first time ever found Amazon Prime ads in the last (most recent) post in conversations. It's at the bottom of the message window. When I type a new reply, it gets added at the bottom of the conversation. But as soon as I refresh, the ad moves down to my own post. I am using FF40. Is this due to the updated forum software?

Reactions: navychop
No changes have been made. And I just tested things with my iPad on one of the test accounts and did not see any ads overtaking anything.

Using the Reader app, iOS 8, PMs list is never updated. I don't see that a new PM is in, unless I manually update the PM list. Only noticed this the last few days.

"Conversations" be damned.

Reactions: TheKrell
It only happens to me on this site. These ads appear and are impossible to x off, making it impossible for me to view this site. They just keep re appearing. The only way I can view this site is to turn off Java Script. But that disables my auto fill password feature on my I Pad.
agreed! When I tried to log on my mom's ipad it took me 4 times to keep the box up to log in

Why do pub members get the rotating ads at the top?
I know most folks dont care, but that is considered a new web page....which eats up my limited bandwidth ;)

Before logging in, there are so many ads that I often find it either impossible or it takes forever to log in to this site when on a slow connection, especially from my Android phone or using WiFi at a public hotspot. I have never seen so many ads on a website.

That's interesting... I haven't noticed it change until now. I wonder if Google is testing something. I will look into it.

As far as number of ads go we actually decreased the number of ads about a month ago.

We now have less ads than HowardForums and AVSforums. The number of ads is adjusted as needed to make sure we can pay our bills. When we make enough money to keep the site going we turn the number of ads down as I hate ads too. I am happy to report that finally after 2 years the internet ad earning are finally starting to climb again. But without the ads there is no SatelliteGuys.

BTW we had one member who was a pub member who contacted me about the ads as he was upset as a Pub Member he was seeing a lot of ads... After he sent me some screen shots, I had him run MalWareBytes on his machine and he found he had over 60 things found by the program. Once he cleaned his machine he then again only saw the one ad he was supposed to see. :)

Currently I get 8 ads before logging in -- on Mac, Windows, the platform doesn't matter. When these things start playing animations it sucks up bandwidth. Not a problem if I'm at home on an 18 Mbps connection. But its another story from my phone over cellular data, or when traveling and using public (slow) WiFi.

Edit: If I am logged out and trying to view this thread I see 11 ads. Maybe more when the thread gets longer. The 8 ads reported above were from the main page (not viewing a thread).

Well I logged out and did notice something, and that is the way you login has changed. I am looking into it now.

BTW another thing I did notice is that if logged out we have a sidebar which shows tall wide ads, I did notice that if it does not have a tall wide ad to show it instead shows two box ads instead in the same space. So it looks like more ads even though its really only one ad space.

Scott, whatever you did is working. When I logged in this morning I got a much faster login screen that was different from what I was getting and things seem to be faster when logged in. However I still don't see my avatar on (recent) threads I've posted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.