Advice for Friend wanting to switch to Dish Network

Mark A Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
East Tennessee
I have a friend with cable and is very dissatisfied, spending around $75.00 a month and getting few channels compared to dish or direct.

1. Wants HD Receiver and programming.
2. Wants to keep his bill at or below what cable is currently.
3. Wants "his" sports channels....ie ESPN (ESPNU which cable doesn't have, only likes football so no basketball or hockey packages needed).
4. Wants to avoid DVR fee so which receiver should he get, I suggested something like 211 which I have and I can help him add the EHD for DVR funtions.

He is definitely going with Direct or Dish and I would like for him to go DISH.

Any help would be appreciated as to what plans would be best for listed scenario.

Thank You, ;)

You didn't say how much his cable bill is, but Classic Silver, NFL-RZ, HD+Platinum, DVR, and Locals cost the same ($73.98/mo, not counting promos) as Comcast "Digital Preferred" does in KC ($73.97), and offers far more HD programming. If you don't have to have Redzone, you can add Multisport to a Classic Bronze+ package, which includes NFL, ESPNU, and your RSN (actually, Dish site says that RZ is included in Multisport, but I don't think that's true...), but you give up a lot of Fox/NewsCorp stations when you go from Silver down to Bronze.

Last edited:
Ditto. We are not CSR's and not capable of quoting prices.

First of all I am not stupid, I know you are not CSR's, I know where to find them at!

Second of all I did not ask for price quoting, I simply asked for some advice on the given scenario.

Seeing that most people here at satellite guys are willing to give there advice from past experience I was just asking for some information from those that have a similar situation. Hope that is clarified. :smug

First of all I am not stupid, I know you are not CSR's, I know where to find them at!

Second of all I did not ask for price quoting, I simply asked for some advice on the given scenario.

Seeing that most people here at satellite guys are willing to give there advice from past experience I was just asking for some information from those that have a similar situation. Hope that is clarified. :smug

First of all, I did not insinuate you were stupid. Second hand information will never trump from the horse's mouth. That's also why we suggest calling. However, the bulk of your questions did regard price. Different scenarios have different price tags. And price seems to be a major factor to your friend.

Sorry, don't know how I missed that. Anyway, the answer is simple; a 722k with Classic Silver + HD + Multisport is still cheaper than what he's paying now, even with DVR fees, with a LOT more content. Having a 722k with the OTA module means having four tuners (two sat, two antenna), and since the DVR fees and local fees are included, there's no sense in not using the features.

Your friend can use a 222 or 222k, feed two TVs (one HD, one SD), and not pay for DVR service, but he'll only save a couple of dollars per month, and will be missing out on some great features.

Sorry, don't know how I missed that. Anyway, the answer is simple; a 722k with Classic Silver + HD + Multisport is still cheaper than what he's paying now, even with DVR fees, with a LOT more content. Having a 722k with the OTA module means having four tuners (two sat, two antenna), and since the DVR fees and local fees are included, there's no sense in not using the features.

Your friend can use a 222 or 222k, feed two TVs (one HD, one SD), and not pay for DVR service, but he'll only save a couple of dollars per month, and will be missing out on some great features.

Thank You CowboyDren! :wave

I will take the information you have provided and use it to come up with a plan for my friend.

The 722 is a Football fans best friend.

The 30 second forward skip works great for jumping from one play right to the next. I almost prefer this to watching the game live. Never mind being in control of your own instant replays or using the split screen for 2 games at once.

Bronze 100 has your ESPNU -- $39.99 + $10 hd = $49.99
Silver 200 to get Regional sports nets and NFL* = $52.99 + $10 = $62.99
Gold 250 to add Versus* = $62.99 + $10 = $72.99

*among others, but those are the sellers for sports fans

One tv with no dvr would just be a 211 receiver-- no monthly equipment fees if that's your only receiver.

Will a DirecTv "dish" work with a DISH receiver?

DISH - yes or no?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)