Aereo to Shut Down Today, files for Bankruptcy

I'm really going to miss Aereo.......oh wait,I never had it because it was never offered in my area. It's very hard to mourn the loss of a product not offered where you live.

I'm really going to miss Aereo.......oh wait,I never had it because it was never offered in my area. It's very hard to mourn the loss of a product not offered where you live.

You were not alone, not many even subscribed where it was available. They kept hoping to hit 1 million subs.

True, but many can. The thing is Aereo targeted a subset of a subset of people. People that were cord cutters, but wanted locals, but couldn't get them OTA.
They also had the subchannels..perfect compliment to satellite tv

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

For how much a month?!
It was 8 bucks..but I'm sure charlie ergen would have worked out a better deal...I think he was an investor..8 bucks was for online DVR service on all platforms..it was a nice functionality

True, but many can. The thing is Aereo targeted a subset of a subset of people. People that were cord cutters, but wanted locals, but couldn't get them OTA.

The other issue is that they were only in large markets, markets where most people can get locals with an antenna. Rural markets where people live 100 miles from the tower would have been more of a demand, but then they probably would not be high speed internet areas either. They were really a small subset of users that could not receive OTA but had high speed internet.

The other issue is that they were only in large markets, markets where most people can get locals with an antenna. Rural markets where people live 100 miles from the tower would have been more of a demand, but then they probably would not be high speed internet areas either. They were really a small subset of users that could not receive OTA but had high speed internet.
The NYC market is HUGE. It extends to pike county pa. Ever since the twin towers fell a huge portion relies on cable and satellite for locals

The NYC market is HUGE. It extends to pike county pa. Ever since the twin towers fell a huge portion relies on cable and satellite for locals

Care to cite that? IE, the increase of subscribers because they could no longer get locals OTA.

Care to cite that? IE, the increase of subscribers because they could no longer get locals OTA.
I live in the NYC market.. Trust me a large portion needs cable 60 miles or so from NYC..mountains cause big los problems..I was able to get distants till dish lost in court

I live in the NYC market.. Trust me a large portion needs cable 60 miles or so from NYC..mountains cause big los problems..I was able to get distants till dish lost in court

Not to mention the digital transition

For Independence Day, 1,000 Free TV Antennas for Aereo Customers

To celebrate Independence Day, a St. Louis company is offering 1,000 antennas (with installation accessories) that capture over-the-air digital TV signals for free to Aereo customers losing service in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling that said networks that create the content must be compensated by the reseller.

On Tuesday evening, Antennas Direct posted the offer on its website and Facebook page. It says the purpose is to give Aereo customers "their independence to free broadcast television" in the form of an antenna with a 50-mile-plus range that retails for $129.99.

hollywoodreporter.com

Aereo Loses Bid For Emergency Court Ruling To Keep It From “Bleeding To Death”
U.S. District Court Judge Alison Nathan declined today to grant Aereo’s emergency motion to be defined as a kind of cable company — even after it said yesterday that it “will likely not survive” without a quick determination because it is “figuratively bleeding to death.” CEO Chet Kanojia warned that he’s spending about $1M a month. Without help from the court, he said, the streaming service ”will not be able to generate additional revenue or additional investments.” That means “the company simply will not be able to survive and the substantial investment of time, effort, and money will be irretrievably lost.”
Aereo wants to be deemed a cable company so it can qualify for a so-called compulsory license from the U.S. Copyright Office. That would enable it to pay a relatively low, government determined fee to retransmit broadcast programming. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that Aereo could not stream broadcasters’ over-the-air fare without payment, in part because it seemed to resemble cable companies that are required to pay.
But Nathan says today that Aereo’s request for an emergency decision “jumped the gun.” She will follow a longer course to determine the company’s fate. Plaintiffs have two weeks to offer a proposed order in light of the Supreme Court ruling. Aereo has up to two weeks to reply. And broadcasters can reply a week later.
Aereo declined to comment.

deadline.com

Appeals Court Denies Aereo's Request for New Hearing

On Thursday, the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals told Aereo that further proceedings in the TV broadcasters' lawsuit will take place at the district court. There, broadcasters are aiming to have the judge impose a broad injunction that would stop the digital company from "streaming, transmitting, retransmitting, or otherwise publicly performing any Copyrighted Programming over the Internet... or by means of any device or process throughout the United States of America."

After the Supreme Court dealt Aereo a crushing blow on June 25, the company attempted to save itself in a July 24 letter to the 2nd Circuit asking for "further consideration of the preliminary injunction issues," specifically, whether Aereo is a "cable system" entitled to a statutory license.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/appeals-court-denies-aereos-request-727009
hollywoodreporter.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts