Amazon shutting down it's FreeVee service?

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
It is being reported that Amazon will soon be shutting down it's FreeVee ad-supported streaming service as it is now 'redundant following the introduction of ads to Prime Video'. Amazon denies the claim. If true, nice job Amazon! :mad:

Amazon is going to be losing subs to Prime at this rate. After forcing ads after advertising no ads for years and pushing the better video and sound to the higher pack to get it, I don' think they are making friends here. I cancelled our Prime membership after this and I only paid $6.00 for my shipping for over $300.00 of stuff we bought this month instead of the $16.00 we were paying to go by the month. I will only sub to the video service if something like The Boys or Reacher comes back. I don't really watch much anything else on that platform. :smug

Reactions: dfergie
I doubt they lose many, as I would wager most, although certainly not all, get prime for shipping rather than the video service.
You are correct, based on the numbers, I have yet to see any losses in subscribers from their 6 price increases since the program started-

201325 million
201440 million
201554 million
201665 million
201799.7 million
2018112.1 million
2019124 million
2020146.1 million
2021159.8 million
2022163.5 million
2023167.2 million
2024171.8 million

We are keeping Prime. When we need same day or next day shipping for all the stuff we can't seem to find anywhere else, it is great. For the things we don't need right away, choosing no-rush shipping nets us around $30 in digital credits annually that we can use for kindle books (which I back-up, so I don't have to rely on them being available from Amazon long term) or movie rentals.

Since my wife and I are both disabled, making store visits difficult, both Prime and Walmart+ are important to us. Last year Prime saved us over $800 in shipping fees plus the other included features. And we watch various programs on Freevee fairly often.

Fine by me, if it means moving them to prime, then hopefully I can avoid the ads, I hate watching Bosch with ads, takes me out of the story.
Freevee content has already been available in its own section of the Prime Video app for awhile now. I had Prime in December, before ads were included. The Freevee content was there too but did have ads. So I very much doubt that paying to go ad-free now in Prime also removes the ads in the Freevee content, which would be frustrating to viewers but that's part of the complication you have when you try to run a FAST and an SVOD in the same app.

Freevee content has already been available in its own section of the Prime Video app for awhile now. I had Prime in December, before ads were included. The Freevee content was there too but did have ads. So I very much doubt that paying to go ad-free now in Prime also removes the ads in the Freevee content, which would be frustrating to viewers but that's part of the complication you have when you try to run a FAST and an SVOD in the same app.
I wrote hopefully, not saying it was going to happen, but if FreeVee content is only available thru Prime, you are correct, damn confusing for some.

I doubt they lose many, as I would wager most, although certainly not all, get prime for shipping rather than the video service.
The shipping isn't worth it to me any longer. I wait some times for a week or more to get certain items and that is sometimes the ones that say Prime 2 day shipping. They have lost many of my items and I get refunds after they say LOST, to then find them show up a few days later. I paid $6.00 for shipping on over $300.00 of items this month with out prime. I normally would pay $16.00 a month and now I am saving $10.00 a month. There video service I only watched like 3 shows on it and it simply isn't worth it to me to sit through ads for it. The only shows I have to have are Jack Reacher and The Boys. Once those shows are binged I would no longer need the service again.

Reactions: primestar31