All channels except StarzHD 261 and 262

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we tried without the internal diplexor. Is there a diplexor outside, as well?

mkwillia said:
Yes, we tried without the internal diplexor. Is there a diplexor outside, as well?
They work as a pair. Outside it combines the OTA antenna with the SAT dish to one coax cable, inside it seperates them again....

My setup is without the diplexor, and the problem is intermittent. Although my sat signal is generally strong, these channels seem to work during the day when the sun is shining. However, even when they are working the signal strength is a few points lower than for the rest of the lineup. Over the weekend I will try to adjust the dish position to get the max signal when tuned to these channels. It is kinda puzzling. Other than that I am a happy camper and I don't have any problems with the receiver or PQ.

andrzej said:
My setup is without the diplexor, and the problem is intermittent. Although my sat signal is generally strong, these channels seem to work during the day when the sun is shining. However, even when they are working the signal strength is a few points lower than for the rest of the lineup. Over the weekend I will try to adjust the dish position to get the max signal when tuned to these channels. It is kinda puzzling. Other than that I am a happy camper and I don't have any problems with the receiver or PQ.
Perhaps the LNB is flaky or bad. If you used to have DirecTv, you could swap out the Voom LNB with the DirecTv one. Or, if you do not have one handy, and really want to see if it's the LNB, you could go to Best Buy.
They have this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384458628&skuId=3449842&type=product and they have a good return policy.

If you have multiple Voom receivers, it might be a bad or flaky multiswitch.

It could also be that your dish needs to be fine tuned, (peaked).

Gr8Reb8 said:
Perhaps the LNB is flaky or bad. If you used to have DirecTv, you could swap out the Voom LNB with the DirecTv one. Or, if you do not have one handy, and really want to see if it's the LNB, you could go to Best Buy.
They have this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384458628&skuId=3449842&type=product and they have a good return policy.

If you have multiple Voom receivers, it might be a bad or flaky multiswitch.

It could also be that your dish needs to be fine tuned, (peaked).

I also thought about the LNB because of different polarity of these 6 missing channels. The LNB my have problems with switching polarity. I still have D* so I can try it. Are all the 3 LNB's on my D* antenna equivalent?

andrzej said:
I also thought about the LNB because of different polarity of these 6 missing channels. The LNB my have problems with switching polarity. I still have D* so I can try it. Are all the 3 LNB's on my D* antenna equivalent?
No. You should have two LNBs with dual connectors. These are both for SAT A and SAT B. Both of those are the Voom compatible ones. The LNB in the center of the triple D* antenna is the SAT C LNB. I have not seen anyone say that that one is compatible with Voom. Now, if you have one of the newest D* 3 LNB dishes, I do not know if those LNB's will mount on a standard RCA mount like the Voom one does. My D* LNB's did. :D

Finally - It all works

My service installer performed the following acts:
- Check my satellite LNB
- tested the coax for any faults
- checked both STBs by switching the my good (upstairs) and my bad STB
- connected the STB to a direct coax from the sat. and tried many variations of connecting the STB to the sat. using the outside diplexor.

He identified the problem was "diplexor", specifically how it handles the OTA ant.. All of my channel problem and PQ problems vanished. It was all the diplexor and OTA ant. incompatability.

The next step, I guess, is how do we inform Voom of the problem so they can develop a solution.

Mike

mkwillia said:
My service installer performed the following acts:
- Check my satellite LNB
- tested the coax for any faults
- checked both STBs by switching the my good (upstairs) and my bad STB
- connected the STB to a direct coax from the sat. and tried many variations of connecting the STB to the sat. using the outside diplexor.

He identified the problem was "diplexor", specifically how it handles the OTA ant.. All of my channel problem and PQ problems vanished. It was all the diplexor and OTA ant. incompatability.

The next step, I guess, is how do we inform Voom of the problem so they can develop a solution.

Mike
Thanks for posting what it took to get working again. Sometimes people will just post to get the answers for themselves, and then not share what the solution was. Your post above will surely help others in the same boat.
BTW, it is not the first time that the diplexor was the cause for the problems you described.
Thanks again! :)

Problem solved (most likely)

I am happy to report that my problem with missing channels 204, 206, 226, 229, 261, and 262 has been solved. Following a suggestion from a fellow Voomer, last Saturday I went on the roof and replaced the LNB with an old LNB from my first D* antenna. Since then all the missing channels are here in their full glory. The signal on these channels is actually 1-2 points better than on other channels (quality 96-97, power 75-77). With the old LNB on those 6 channels, the power reading was 66-69 and quality 84-86, but the channels did not show up most of the time (and always all six of them). Since these channels have different polarity than others the LNB must switch polarity automatically. This is well explained here: http://www.satellitetech.com/techhelp.html.

Starz gone again

After several days of good weather, fairly heavy rains have returned in my area. I noticed last night that my Starz HD, 261 and 262, and the other channels mentioned, 206, 226, and 229, suddenly stopped working again. On some of them I will sometimes get picture briefly, but it quickly freezes up. The channels are not watchable.

I checked signal strength -- I am getting about 69-71 on those channels, but about 80-82 on other HD channels. So I am guessing that I have lower signal strength on those channels to begin with, and the rain really degrades it to the point where I lose the picture completely. I will see if they come back, and measure my signal strength on them in good weather when it stops raining.

Unfortunately, I can't get onto my roof to take out the diplexor or change LNBs -- I would have to have Voom make a service call for that. I wonder if changing to a larger dish (I have the basic 18" model) would help. I haven't had time to call customer service about it yet, but will try that tonight. If nothing else, I want them to have a record of the problem so that I can build the case for getting a service visit, if that is necessary.

If the problem is that those channels alone are on a different polarity, then I wonder why they don't change the polarity to make it the same as the other channels? Wouldn't that be easier than replacing a lot of customers' LNBs and diplexors?

Hey, Mike, why don't you post this over on Yahoo/VOOM

Sounds like a unique problem. Seems strange signal strength would vary on sat. signals. Wilt, VOOM/s VP for engineering, seems to keep a close eye on that group although there are many more postings here. Don't know why. Time?

Under mostly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Thats a good idea. I have never posted at the yahoo forum because frankly I find this one more friendly and useful, but maybe I should get an I.D. setup and post this issue over there to see if Wilt has any answer to it.

mike528 said:
After several days of good weather, fairly heavy rains have returned in my area. I noticed last night that my Starz HD, 261 and 262, and the other channels mentioned, 206, 226, and 229, suddenly stopped working again. On some of them I will sometimes get picture briefly, but it quickly freezes up. The channels are not watchable.

I checked signal strength -- I am getting about 69-71 on those channels, but about 80-82 on other HD channels. So I am guessing that I have lower signal strength on those channels to begin with, and the rain really degrades it to the point where I lose the picture completely. I will see if they come back, and measure my signal strength on them in good weather when it stops raining.

Unfortunately, I can't get onto my roof to take out the diplexor or change LNBs -- I would have to have Voom make a service call for that. I wonder if changing to a larger dish (I have the basic 18" model) would help. I haven't had time to call customer service about it yet, but will try that tonight. If nothing else, I want them to have a record of the problem so that I can build the case for getting a service visit, if that is necessary.

If the problem is that those channels alone are on a different polarity, then I wonder why they don't change the polarity to make it the same as the other channels? Wouldn't that be easier than replacing a lot of customers' LNBs and diplexors?
One has to wonder if Voom will look at ALL the pros and cons when they review how this diplexor solution is doing.

Pros with diplexor.
Less install cost since only one cable has to be run (if the Sat dish and OTA antenna are close to each other).

Cons.
Cost of diplexor (most likely less than pulling the extra cable)
Call center load (poor customer service reps attempting to trouble shoot problems)
Cost of sending tech back out to customer to resolve problems like we see here.
Cost of sending tech back out to customer to fix OTA issues because OTA antenna was placed in a convinient place in regards to the diplexor and not in the optimal place for OTA reception.
Cost of replacement STB. Easiest solution from the customer service rep's point of view
Frustrated customers, difficult to put specific cost on this.

Mike,
In your case, since you loose all the channels on the alternate polarity, the culprits are IMO (and in order of what I think is likely);
1. Faulty Diplexor (perhaps installed incorrectly, perhaps replaced)
2. Faulty cable (perhaps a short)
3. Faulty LNB (LNB is same as DirecTv uses for SAT A and SAT B, yes the most common LNB)
4. Faulty STB (hmmmm)
5. Dish not peaked correctly

The STB uses two different voltages to make the LNB select the correct polarity. My guess is that for some reason, the LNB is not getting the correct voltage for those specific channels. That is why I always recommend removing the diplexor as a FIRST test.

Since they installed it on the roof (got to get the dish and antenna close :rolleyes: ) I would call Voom immediately. Why pay for a service that is frustrating instead of enjoyable.

Videorfx did you receive your new box? Did it fix your problem with the two starz channels? Let me know if it was the box or a wiring problem. I am having the installer come out Saturday to look at this problem at my house. I told the Voom customer service person to have the installer bring out a new box and try this first before looking at wiring.

jimmykce1 said:
Videorfx did you receive your new box? Did it fix your problem with the two starz channels? Let me know if it was the box or a wiring problem. I am having the installer come out Saturday to look at this problem at my house. I told the Voom customer service person to have the installer bring out a new box and try this first before looking at wiring.
Look at page 2 of this thread.
Videofx posted on 03-26-2004, at 06:21 PM that it was the Diplexor that was at fault. Installer had used incorrect one. :rolleyes:

jimmykce1 said:

Got a new reciever only to find out:

A. The analog audio outputs were dead.
B. It DID NOT fix the Channel 261 & 262 problem

The problem was the Diplexor. Replaced the diaplexor with the coorect diplexor and all my channels are back.

Bill

I found out yesterday that my problem with not picking up these two Starz channels was that I was using the cable only filter on my coaxial surge protector. I switch to the antenna/satellite connection and all is now working. So I cancelled my service call.

I fixed my problem too I had a splitter dividing the signal to MyHD card. I took it out and now it's working.

PS do anybody know if the box have RF out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts