Alltel wireless internet question

dijohn76

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Montana, SW of Great Falls
Does anyone have any experience with Alltel wireless internet? I currently have Wildblue satelleite internet and while certainly better than dialup, still slow compared to what Alltel says I will get. I can get a mobile router and use an USB air modem with it to network my home computers. Does anyone know if there is any problems with this. I seem to get a strong signal with my cellphone through them?

Actually, it is an USB air card, looks like a flash drive, or they have one that looks like a credit card. In order to network I would have to get a mobile router (probably kyocera kr2) I just wondered if the speeds they advertise (3.1) live up to their billing, and if they have alot of disconnets? My cell service with them is excellent, never a dropped call in my home. Anyway just thought I would check to see if anyone had used it. We are really limited here for Hi-speed. Its either satellite or the wireless internet through a cellphone company.

I have had EVDO through a local provider for a couple of months now. I had hughesnet for five years. I have been very pleased with mobile broadband so far. The speeds are steady, the system is stable and the latency isn't close to satellite. I pay 10 less a month for a higher download rate than I did with Hughes. I currently run my home network through the Kyrocer KR-2. It was very easy to set up, but I find that the router is a little unstable. Overall, I would say EVDO is head and shoulders above satellite. However, alot depends on the signal you have from the tower. I live within 1/4 mile of a tower, so my signal is solid. There are a lot of EVDO forums, you can find specific information about Alltell.

Well, Alltel gave me a two week trial period and so far (4 days) am very happy with the speeds. I have three computers connecting via wireless thru the KR2 and seem to be doing well so far. I also hooked up an ethernet to the VIP722 and it had no problems connecting. All in all I am pretty happy with it. Thanks for the input!!:)

So far on speedtest.net I get about 1.8 Mbps download and about 135Kbps upload (would like more there). However, with Wildblue I was only getting 515Kbps download and about 65Kbps up load, so it is a significant difference. The only thing I noticed is that I have to reset my router every morning, not sure why yet. Anyway, so far so good.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)