Am I being unreasonable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smak4432

Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
First time poster, but long time reader of this forum.

After 5 years of cable TV service and 5 more of DishNetwork, I tried to take the jump to DirectTV last week. Tried being the key word. I am moving into a new home this week and called on 9/30 to order service. I got the best offer thanks to all of the posters on this board and thought I was happy. 7 days and about 8 different conversations later, I still have no install date. My hope was to have service installed by 10/10 so that I could enjoy the programming this weekend. I've read other posters get installations turned around in 24 hours, yet the very earliest install date I could get is on 10/18. And that wasn't guaranteed. Every time I called or looked online, the schedule was grayed out. DTV told me their is high demand right now due to NFL season. That is not my problem. They were asking me to contact the local home service providers. I don't believe that is my responsibility. Even when I did, I never got thru to a live person. DTV had no problem proceeding with charging me for the equipment charges.

After my conversation with another CSR this morning, I've come to the decision where I'd rather deal with our local Cable company (TW) than have to wait until 10/18 at the earliest to get DTV. I really despise TW and cable in general, but I feel like my hand is forced and I'm not getting any love from DTV. Were my expectations for an install of less than 10 days unreasonable? I'm very disappointed in my short tenure as a DTV customer.

Regards,
Smak4432

10 days is pretty good, many had to wait 20+ days in Aug/Sept.

Not sure where you got the 24 hour idea, that's got to be pretty rare.

You could just keep your dish active until the direct install.

Yup - family/friends have always had at least 7-10 days for Dish or Direct or even 5-7 days for cable here in Tulsa.

10 days seems reasonable. You could probably get a local installer there tomorrow if you signup through them - but you would only get the national deals .. not the AAA deal or other "bonus" promotions.

10 days is pretty good, many had to wait 20+ days in Aug/Sept.

Not sure where you got the 24 hour idea, that's got to be pretty rare.

You could just keep your dish active until the direct install.

i agree especially since this is the busiest time for D. when i signed up back in march they came the very next day but it was a slow time for D. Now you just can't expect that.

After 5 years of cable TV service and 5 more of DishNetwork, I tried to take the jump to DirectTV last week. Tried being the key word. I am moving into a new home this week and called on 9/30 to order service. I got the best offer thanks to all of the posters on this board and thought I was happy. 7 days and about 8 different conversations later, I still have no install date. My hope was to have service installed by 10/10 so that I could enjoy the programming this weekend. I've read other posters get installations turned around in 24 hours, yet the very earliest install date I could get is on 10/18. And that wasn't guaranteed. Every time I called or looked online, the schedule was grayed out. DTV told me their is high demand right now due to NFL season. That is not my problem. They were asking me to contact the local home service providers. I don't believe that is my responsibility. Even when I did, I never got thru to a live person. DTV had no problem proceeding with charging me for the equipment charges.

After my conversation with another CSR this morning, I've come to the decision where I'd rather deal with our local Cable company (TW) than have to wait until 10/18 at the earliest to get DTV. I really despise TW and cable in general, but I feel like my hand is forced and I'm not getting any love from DTV. Were my expectations for an install of less than 10 days unreasonable? I'm very disappointed in my short tenure as a DTV customer.

Regards,
Smak4432

wahhh wahhhh wahhh POOR ME SHEEEEEEEESH!!!!

Unreasonable? yes

I have never heard of a 24 hr. install response. Service- sure. install no.

Seriously, If you order anything for delivery, how many promise 24 hr delivery? other than pizza & chinese.

Have you ever "ordered" a new car? CD's, DVD's, clothing, I mean even Netflix takes 2-3 days.

7 days and 8 conversations later? Impatient aren't you. Relax, Youll get your service when they can.

Cable may have a faster install date because everyone is leaving to go to Satellite!

again to be fair when i signed up back in march i did it online and the install appointment was set for the very next day. this was at the slow time for D. anything close to the start of football season until the end of the year is completely impossible to expect an install appointment for the very next day.

I called on Friday last week and had it installed on Sunday morning. My neighbor called on thursday last week, and they came out Friday and installed it. So, yeah, 10 days seems kind of far out to me.

Also depends on what part of the country your in.

btw, you can call your local guys to do the install as well, but expect to pay for it, it won't be free.
Also, if you talk to D* they will tell you who your (somewhat) locals installer is, (mine come from 75 miles away to service Toledo.)
The will call while your on the line or you can call on your own, many times you can get in on thier Calcellation list, someone cancels they will pick you up.

Jimbo

Regards,
Smak4432

I am waiting 12 days to get Directv; which will include a period of 4 days in which I will only have the basic of all basic cable (channels 2-23) on TWC, and two of their channels are shut off due to their battle with LIN TV. (sound familiar dish subs??)

However, the deal I am getting with D* compared to what I would be still getting at E* or worse yet at TWC is worth the wait.

All receivers wlll be free (including a hd-dvr and another hd receiver)
Showtime free for a year.
$10 off a month for AAA discount for 24 months
$50 off referral bonus
4 months of their premier programing free for buying the nfl season ticket for $75 a month for 4 months.
Oh, and by switching to D*, I will now get my home hockey team games in HD, the yankees in hd, and another local channel (abc) in hd.

So the wait for the install is wee bit inconvenient, however the benefits will more than make up for the wait.

I remember when i signed up i did it through my local blockbuster store when they were selling dtv. I signed up near the end of November and didnt get the installation till Jan. 10 but it was made clear at the time of purchase. Lotsa Christmas presents i guess.

Thanks
Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WHERE TO POINT DISH??

I Might be seeing things.. Free HD DVR with Choice Extra...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)