AM21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Danny001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Bangor, ME
Did a search, couldn't find anything, could someone direct me to, or describe here what exactly the AM21 is and how it works. Do we pay a $6 receiver fee? Does it need to be activated? Where can I see which off air channels I would get?

The AM-21 or AM-21N (the newer version) is the off air tuner that hooks up via USB to a HR-21 and up DirecTV receiver. There are no fees and no activation is needed. It doesn't "scan" per say, you put your zip code in for your primary market and you can put in the zip code for a secondary market, the channels that are in DirecTV's database for that market are the only ones that show up.

So I don't need an off air antenna at all? So if I put in my zip code 04401, Bangor, am I going to get anything different for stations than I would through my directv package for locals? what secondary market option is there for my area, can I get any market I want?

You NEED a roof antenna for the AM21 to work. If you already have a roof antenna the channels you receive on your TV tuner are the channels you will receive with the AM21. The D* database for Bangor has 15 channels (2-1,2-2,2-3,5-1,5-2,7-1,7-2,12-1,12-2,12-3,12-4,13-1,13-2,13-3,13-4). You will get these channels if your antenna is strong enough to pick them up. A secondary zip code gives you the channels in D* database from that zip code, if your antenna is picking them up. You only get stations that your antenna can pick-up, not anything else. Another thing to remember is, if the channel is not in D* database the AM21 won't find it even though your antenna may receive it. There are possible ways to receive a channel like this but more information on the zip code and the channel would have to be supplied. I guess I want to add that you need an OTA antenna, any kind that works to receive channels in your area will work (indoor, attic, rabbit ears, roof top). My saying you need a roof top antenna was a little vague.

Last edited:
Please be sure to ask for the shAM-21 because it's a SHAM it does not have a scanning channel function like every other over the air tuner. You get the channels DirecTV put in their database in 2009, and has not updated since. In larger markets you may get 75% of the sub channels.

if you have low expectations you will not be as disappointed once you see how it works.

Did a search, couldn't find anything, could someone direct me to, or describe here what exactly the AM21 is and how it works. Do we pay a $6 receiver fee? Does it need to be activated? Where can I see which off air channels I would get?

Man if I would have read your post earlier I could of sold you one, because I just sold a AM21 on eBay.

You can usually find work-arounds for many channels that are missing by forcing multiple zips (more than just two) into the AM21, as coconut eluded to earlier. I am missing several in the database, but can force all but one (HSN) into my AM21 with 7 different zips. Even got an LP station (with very incorrect guide data, but better than nothing.)

(Interestingly, Directv recently added a LP station - WTNC Durham, Unimas - to the Directv-provided LIL locals in the Raleigh DMA. It's not HD on D*, but WTNC is HD on a subchannel of WUVC OTA).

How do you force multiple zip codes?..I would like to try that because the database is very limited here in Bakersfield and the am21 doesn't get half of the channels I get with the tv....Than you!!!!

Run the initial set-up over and over again. Start with channels you actually receive (home DMA, second DMA). Then, run the initial set-up again. Use your home zip and a 3rd market zip. You can also input the zip code of anther DMA that you don't actually receive, but has a PSIP channel that matches one of the missing channels in your area. It doesn't purge the list it has, so you can build on it. It does purge after every reset, so you have to do it all over again after a software update, power outage, etc.

Example: I receive Greensboro, Raleigh, and Roanoke OTA. I am missing 40-3 (Bounce) and 40-4 (Get). I run the set up Greensboro as home, and Raleigh as secondary. Then I run the set up again, Greensboro and Roanoke. Then Greensboro and Los Angeles, which "fills in" 40-3 and 40-4. The guide data is incorrect (as it's for KTBN) but at least I can watch those missing channels. With some research and luck, you can find another DMA that has the same network that is in the database. Since there is no Bounce TV on 40-3 on any channel in the database, I am stuck with what I got but you might get lucky. Repeat the process until you're satisfied. I have 4 or 5 in there. It only seems to work with PSIP numbers and NOT the actual RF channel.

The "other" site (DBStalk) has the database in an excel file, the "OTA" tab.

What channels are you missing and looking to add. I can maybe help you try and attain some of these channels. This process works really well for me, but every situation is different and the AM21 can be a pretty bizarre machine. Give me some channel numbers and we will try.

thank you ejb....I will try that...and to coconut, I'm missing 23.2 , 39.1 and 58.1, among others, but those are the important ones for me.......thanks guys......

thank you ejb....I will try that...and to coconut, I'm missing 23.2 , 39.1 and 58.1, among others, but those are the important ones for me.......thanks guys......

Here's something you can try. Run your intial set-up on your AM21 over again. Use your Bakersfield zip as your primary zip and then use 89101 (Las Vegas NV) as your secondary zip. This should give you 23.2,39.1, and 58.1 There are some possible conflict's here, so let me know your result if you try this. From what I'm seeing you might get those 3 channels by running that zip code. One thing to remember is that the guide for any channels gained this way will have the Las Vegas guide for that channel, although you will be viewing your Bakersfield channel. There are other ways to go to get these channels, this is one possible way that might get all 3 with just one secondary zip. Good Luck and keep me posted.

Is there any online lookup to see what channels DTv has in its AM-21 database for a particular zipcode?

Go to www.dbstalk.com. On that website look for a post (Transponder Maps: Domestic & LatinAm) This is refreshed once every week and as of 1/22/2014. When there look for the attached file (TPN_Map_Domestic_140122.xisx). Open this file,and at the bottom of the page there will be a bunch of tabs. The OTA tab shows all the channels in D* database. The LIL Market tab shows all the DMA's. This should guide you to what you want to see.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)