AM21

freewheelerrg

Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
I have a strange problem. I am in zip code 55401 and listed that as my primary zip code. Because 33.4 (COZI) TV is not in the 55401 Database I added a Seattle zip code as a secondary where 33.1 thru 33.7 is available. What happened is the Seattle zip code overlaid my 55401 stations which I did not want. I have done a reset, power cycle of both AM21 and DirecTV box, initial setup of 55401 and 55802 as primary and secondary and still the Seattle stations show up in place of my local. As an example 5.3 is MeTv in 55401 but it is showing Guide listings for Kingdt3 station instead.
Any one have ideas?

You can add more zip codes to it and see what comes up. Another thing is that you may not be getting a lock on the signal. When that happens those stations do not appear in the guide.

Thanks for the comment but maybe I didn't explain well enough. My AM21 will only accept 2 zip codes when setting up and they are currently 55401 (Minneapolis) and 55802 (Duluth MN), which I have verified. As in my example, I get channel 5.3 (MeTV) from 55401 just fine and the signal is strong. But the channel guide is showing KINGDT3 from Seattle, so the channel guide does not match up with the TV show I am currently watching, the Rifleman. Because the channel guide is incorrect I cannot get correct TV show information or DVR options for recording.

Reactions: c-spand
Don't know when they or if they will update all their stations to the right zip codes. Could call dtv tech and see what they can do.

I understand, maybe my AM21 is older. Either way, there is not a Seattle zip code entered into the configuration but still the channel guide shows Seattle stations, overlaying the 55401 stations.

That is strange. There are many zip codes. So can try others and see if that resolves it. Or it is Sleepless in Seattle.......

Thanks for everyone that responded. I did come to a solution.

Once I had the correct Zip Codes for my area (55401) and blank for secondary entered, I then followed the instructions I found for CLEARMYBOX on the internet. Once the DirecTv box completed its recycle the correct OTA channels were now being displayed.

Thanks for everyone that responded. I did come to a solution.

Once I had the correct Zip Codes for my area (55401) and blank for secondary entered, I then followed the instructions I found for CLEARMYBOX on the internet. Once the DirecTv box completed its recycle the correct OTA channels were now being displayed.

All AM21s will allow more than 2 zip codes. You just set up it up over again. It remembers the ones you entered last time and adds to it. BUT when you have a power outage, it only remembers the last two you entered, so you get situations like you described in this thread happen. If you're adding zips to your AM21, you can add more than 2, just be sure to do a final setup with your home zip when you're done so it remembers your home channels in the event of a power outage. Also, it is best to add a fake market with as FEW channels as possible so there fewer ghost entries in your receiver, but sometimes that is unavoidable. They are updating the database, but that won't help you with channel 33 in Minneapolis as they are not adding LP and translator stations to the database. Too bad, there are some good channels on there I see.

Why are you adding the Seattle zip to your AM21? Do you have a HR24 or another HR20-series DVR that doesn't show all your local channels on it? I suspect that is the case. The HR44 and HR54 receivers have been displaying all the channels your antenna receives for a while now. Here is something fun you can try to get guide data for Cozi:

1. Clear your AM21 again. How fun. Make sure it is really empty.
2. Run the setup. Enter your home zip and Spingfield, MO (65802). This will put Cozi data on your guide on 33.2 instead of 33.4, but you'll at least be able to see it.
3. When the process is complete, run the setup again. Enter your home zip and Seattle. This will fill in the rest of the 33-x's so you'll have them all there again.
4. When that is done, repeat step 2 so those will be saved in the event of of power outage or reset and you won't have to delete everything to get the Cozi data back. You're now done.

Last edited:
Reactions: c-spand
Thank you very much ejb1980!! Your explanation makes perfect sense.
Do you have any recommendations or zip code combinations you could recommend that would get me MeTV 5.3 on 55401 and COZI TV on 33.4 from another zip code? Those are the 2 primary stations I would like to get.

Thank you very much ejb1980!! Your explanation makes perfect sense.
Do you have any recommendations or zip code combinations you could recommend that would get me MeTV 5.3 on 55401 and COZI TV on 33.4 from another zip code? Those are the 2 primary stations I would like to get.

You're most welcome. I edited and added to my post above since you may have seen it to give you an idea about guide data for Cozi. I will check for MeTV.

Edit...
Oh, I know MeTV on 5-3, I used to use that one myself for my own MeTV on 5-3 before they updated the database. Weslaco, TX zip will give it to you right on 5-3. On step 3 above, use Weslaco, TX zip instead of your home zip again. I don't see why that won't slap it in there.

Just so we're clear...
1. Clear your AM21 again. How fun. Make sure it is really empty.
2. Run the setup. Enter your home zip and Spingfield, MO (65802). This will put Cozi data on your guide on 33.2 instead of 33.4, but you'll at least be able to see it.
3. When the process is complete, run the setup again. Enter the Weslaco, TX zip (78596) and Seattle. This will fill in the rest of the 33-x's so you'll have them all there again. It should also add MeTV in its proper place.
4. When that is done, repeat step 2 so those will be saved in the event of of power outage or reset and you won't have to delete everything to get the Cozi data back. You're now done.
5. After a power outage or a reset, check and see if the AM21 deleted the Seattle and Texas zips, if so, repeat steps 3 and 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitewolf8214
Well now I might have given you old info, 33-2 might be CW now. Only one way to find out. Hopefully it is Cozi, that is our only shot. There is a Cozi on 33.4 in Florida, but it is like yours and attached to a station that would not be in the database. Victoria, TX has it on 33-1, again on a station that wouldn't be in the database. Can you confirm your Directv receiver?

I'm in the MSP DMA and have worked with my HR24/AM21 for six years. Currently, I run 6-7 secondary zip codes to attain all the regular stations and the low power stations. Run Utica NY (13501) and Nashville TN (37201) as secondary zips first. Utica will give you 33.2 (Escape) and 33.3 (Laff) the correct guides on those channels. Nashville will give you the "new" WCCO 4.3 with the Cozi guide. Then run Washington DC (20001) and Seattle (98101). Washington will give you 14.1-14.4 with a GET guide on 14.2, a GRIT guide on 14.3, and a BOUNCE guide on 14.4. You can then reference these guides, since you get these channels. Seattle makes it possible to get 33.1-33.7 into your DVR. I do a lot more maneuvers, but I don't want to write a book. It is possible to get "ALL" the MSP stations and guides for all the ones you need them for anyway, if you configure your system right. Private message me, if you want more help, or have more questions.

I'm looking for the same guidance. Channel 45 in the MSP area recently got new frequencies and I need to re-run my setups in the AM21. When you are showing two ZIPs, are they entered as primary and then secondary? Or do I always enter my ZIP as primary and then the codes you list as secondary?

I'm looking for the same guidance. Channel 45 in the MSP area recently got new frequencies and I need to re-run my setups in the AM21. When you are showing two ZIPs, are they entered as primary and then secondary? Or do I always enter my ZIP as primary and then the codes you list as secondary?
I've worked with the AM21 for 6 years in the MSP area, and it doesn't seem to matter which way you run them. As long as you actually run the setup with any zip codes you need to attain the channels you want to attain. So just run your home zip as primary and any other zip as secondary. Then if you have more zips to run, run one as primary and the other as secondary. I'd run (home zip) as primary, then (13501) as secondary. Then the second time run (20001) as primary and (37201) as secondary. This will give you a host of channels and guides for MSP.

Reactions: Daranch
If I return to DirecTV next year, I'll only mess with my own zip code and maybe the actual zip codes from the two markets I can get with an antenna, but I won't add any additional zip codes to add any missing stations. I can just use my TiVo Bolt for that. Plus, didn't I read they brought back OTA scanning to the AM21 and LCC or am I mistaken?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)