Amazon Echo

They just added traffic, which is the only reason we gave the TV on in the morning, otherwise we have it on radio or music at least every other day.

Wife uses timers and alarms on it daily.

I wish we had a second for upstairs, we've got an old iPod touch sitting on a skull candy speaker dock. If that was another echo instead I could control it from the shower

Reactions: rockymtnhigh
If they released a suite of home automation products to go along with the echo at some point I'm pretty sure we'd be all for it, feels like a natural progression.

You mean something like this?

=================
WeMo and Philips Hue products now work with Amazon Echo.

You can now use Echo to switch on the lamp before getting out of bed, turn on the fan or heater while reading in your favorite chair, or dim the lights from the couch to watch a movie—all without lifting a finger...or even raising your voice.

To get started, connect your WeMo and Hue devices to your home Wi-Fi and name them in their respective app. Then say, "Alexa, discover my appliances." After Echo's confirmation, you can control your devices by voice.

Things to try:

• "Alexa, turn on the hallway light"
  • "Alexa, turn on the coffee maker"
  • "Alexa, dim the living room lights to 20%"
  • "Alexa, turn on the electric blanket"
  • "Alexa, turn on the outdoor decorations"
Supported products:

As always, the Amazon Echo team looks forward to your feedback via the Amazon Echo App and on social media (#AmazonEcho).

Just got word my Echo has been shipped and will arrive tomorrow. Earlier than originally set, and earlier than the updated ship date.

Reactions: meStevo
Just got mine a few days ago. No. But it's clear they could improve it greatly.

Music - sometimes gives you only a sample. Need to configure/add music sources before I complain too much.

Alarm - can only set for tomorrow, not Mon-Fri. And I finally beat that fact out of her. Wasn't easy.

Questions- she can't answer many. Too many "I don't understand" or similar responses. Is Bing that bad? No. Their ability to access Bing is that bad.

She can answer some distance questions.

Weather - good, for local, and SOME other areas. Don't think we ever got London out of her, but I believe we got Istanbul.

News - love it. BBC.

She responds to Thank You. And a few less polite things she was clearly programmed to recognize and bring the conversation to an end.

Strange to ask where can I buy you and she knows naught.

In fact, forget any shopping or pricing.

I expect it will get better.

Reactions: TheKrell
New update live:

Re-ordering your favorite Prime products is now even easier with Echo — just use your voice. If you're low on kitchen supplies, want to restock on snacks, or need more rolls of duct tape for the garage, simply ask Echo to place an order for you.

Just say "Alexa, re-order laundry detergent" — Echo will search your order history and can order the item for you using your default payment and shipping settings. If Echo can't find the requested item in your order history, it may suggest an item for your approval using Amazon's Choice, which picks highly-rated, well-priced, Prime products. You can manage your shopping preferences and set an optional confirmation code in your Amazon Echo App.

We still consistently use ours every day. Music, radio, traffic and weather

We use it for all of those things. Well, not traffic, but the rest. :) It is a great device.
In fact, I just turned to ask Alexa about the weather, and she was gone. My son stole her, and had her in the basement!! :) I restored order to the universe.

Reactions: navychop
Still waiting for mine...... Says around June. I like the concept. It took me awhile to come around on it, but I now find using "Ok Google" on my phone gets me results faster than me doing it and they are often what I am looking for. It sets alarms and does other things easily it just takes time to realize the best way to phrase things.
So my hope is the "Echo" will be an expanded form of that with a speaker....

Amazon feature appears to be limited to what you've previously ordered. But it shows progress. And if they record what I ask, and ship it off to some improvements committee, so much the better.

I suspect I'll like it a lot more in 1-2 years. But PLEASE- let me set a Mon-Fri alarm SOON! THEN, we can tackle "every Sunday."

Well, it got "interesting" last night around midnight. Series of loud clicks. I thought a fan blade had come loose and was hitting the light, so I turned it off. Then realized the on and off clicking was from Alexa, who was not helpful in killing the noise.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Well, it got "interesting" last night around midnight. Series of loud clicks. I thought a fan blade had come loose and was hitting the light, so I turned it off. Then realized the on and off clicking was from Alexa, who was not helpful in killing the noise.

No worries, just the NSA checking in. :eeek

Give George Noory a call..... or Art Bell if you can find him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)