Amazon Fire TV 4k Player

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The e-commerce giant just announced a variety of updates to its Fire TV product line. The newest Fire TV set-top box, a flat, plastic box that plugs into your TV and offers a variety of internet video content, now supports 4K Ultra HD video.
This new box costs $99.99. That includes the new voice-controlled, Alexa-take-over-my-entire-living-room remote, and is less than the announced price of the new Apple TV.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/17/9340431/new-amazon-fire-tv-update-price-release-date

• All-new Amazon Fire TV now supports 4K Ultra HD for true-to-life picture quality. Watch high-definition 1080p streams on Amazon Video, Netflix, Hulu and more, even without a 4K TV.

So, it doesn't even receive Amazon Video in 4k??

But, further down in the description is this. So, who knows. That would be awesome if it supported Netflix in 4k as well. I have a 2014 model Samsung (h8550) and it wont be able to support the Amazon 4k streams.

Largest selection of movies in 4K Ultra HD
Enjoy TV episodes and movies in 4K Ultra HD including classic movies like The Way We Were, critically acclaimed TV shows like Orphan Black, blockbuster movies like Captain Phillips, Moneyball, and more. Titles are being added all the time on Amazon Video. Watch Amazon Original Series including Transparent, Catastrophe, and Man in the High Castle. Stream Netflix favorites including House of Cards in 4K Ultra HD.

So, it doesn't even receive Amazon Video in 4k??

I don't think that's what the bullet point you quoted is saying. It says you can watch high quality 1080p streams without a 4K TV. Basically it's just there to let people know that they don't have to have a 4K TV to be able to use this box.

Yes it supports Netflix 4K. In fact the video on Amazon Prime movies will be better for those without 4K as the 1080p movies will be served using HEVC. So more resolution using less bandwidth, not a bad thing. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Not clear to me if adding the One Connect or Evolution kit will address this.
The kit will basically make it HDR "lite". I believe you'll get 300-400 nits where the new Samsung uhd sets will get around 1000.

The kit will basically make it HDR "lite". I believe you'll get 300-400 nits where the new Samsung uhd sets will get around 1000.

Thanks. I probably won't bother. Hopefully by the time more becomes available to watch Sumsung will have gotten over the curved screen nonsense and I'll buy again.

Since Sony won't add the promised Amazon app to the X10, I'm done with them. I'm in. Love my Echo.

S~

Hmmm.. No Vudu?

Will this support YouTube 4K videos or show them in HD like the Samsung 8550 YouTube app does?
(Without the evolution kit)

Im making a prediction these will be $69 for Black November. I will buy one then.

Nope. No VUDU. I don't see them adding it, either.

Anyways, I can't seem to get Netflix DD+ audio. Daredevil on my FMP-X10 plays the DD+ audio fine. Only getting stereo on the Fire TV 4K. Anybody else?

S~

Yep. Others at AVS are experiencing the same thing. No DD 5.1 with NF, screen going black after exiting an UHD title. Might be going back and waiting for a ROKU on the 21st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts