AmazonFireTV as an XMBC box

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
I bought 2 Amazon fire tv's during the Christmas special. I could care less about the Amazon stuff. I heard it makes for an outstanding XMBC box with its zippy cpu and graphics support. I rooted the device and the system boots directly into XMBC.

I am very happy with it. It has lots of on-line content, plus being it has built in samba, i can access my video library and play all that as well. I have used it to replace my media box and my Roku.

With the ability to add any Android apps, its a very useful box.

Thought i would just pass my discovery on.

I didn't think it was rootable anymore

The latest software isn't, but they are still shipping with older software versions. The trick is to start before you plug it in and let it update on its own, which i've been told is pretty aggressive. Both units i got were rootable, one unit was one version from not being rootable. The other was a pretty original software version.

How stable is XMBC on Amazon Fire?

No stability issues what so ever. LOVE IT. Runs great, Stream stuff, watch stuff in our library, and even use it to watch the 4:2:2 stuff with the Big2Small android app. I haven't regretted that move at all.:first

This is awesome, loaded on fire box and stick. If ustvnow continues to work after the trial this is what the Dr ordered. :)

where can I can read up on doing this, I have a Fire Stik that has probably already gone down the update road, but will pick-up another just because I likes what you're discussing here......

if you're handy with a soldering iron and brave, even the newest firmware updates can be rooted.

Soldering is the only option for rooting the firetv stick version anyway. The AFTV boxes I have run xbmc(spmc) extremely well.

load up dishanywhere and connect a mouse and you can watch your Dish sub anywhere without coax or wiring :)

if you're handy with a soldering iron and brave, even the newest firmware updates can be rooted.

Soldering is the only option for rooting the firetv stick version anyway. The AFTV boxes I have run xbmc(spmc) extremely well.

load up dishanywhere and connect a mouse and you can watch your Dish sub anywhere without coax or wiring :)

Whats the link that describes the soldering ??

but please note you do NOT need root to run XBMC or any of the XBMC variants (as i said, i run SPMC).

If you want to have the full google play store, you will need to root, but you can sideload apps without rooting. For rooted users with unlocked bootloaders, there is an aggressive effort to create an AndroidTV port for the AFTV box that will get rid of all the amazon crap :)

I don't have any PVR clients or interlaced stuff to test....if you would PM a link to download a test file or provide one I would gladly have a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)