AMC-1 Pointing tips needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hyperguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Upstate NY near Corning
I hope this is the right forum. I am normally a mild mannered Dish Network contractor but sometimes I am called into tune in other dishes for various people. Recently I was called by a local radio station that was having problems with there PEMA (Penn. Emergency Management agency) dish that an employee backed into. Its supposed to be pointed at AMC-1. I used my Super Buddy to try and aim it and I couldn't find it anywhere. The left side of the meter I got up to like -29db but no signal at all on the left side. The pole is level and plumb and the dish isn't dented or torqued in anyway. Is the AMC-1 always a p.i.t.a. to aim always or is it just me? Thanks If this is the wrong forum any moderators feel free to move it.

Is the signal KU? If so, AMC1 has an extreme skew problem, it is around 20 degrees off what you would expect. I cannot remember which direction it is off, so just do a trial in each direction skewing the dish. Or do a search for skewing AMC1, this topic has come up before. Good luck.

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com might help you out. It's been pretty accurate for me. Punch in your coordinates, select AMC-1, Zoom in and you can pick a landmark to aim towards. It also shown the sat elevation. dishpointer shows the normal skew as seen from the back of the dish. (Good for C band, the Ku skew(twist the LNBF in the holder) is like 25 degrees CCW, from normal, when facing the dish face.

The skew on the KU side is 26 degrees OPPOSITE what it should be. As noted, the C-Band side is fine

If you check thelist at the top they give the correct skew for AMC1 KU

If somebody backed into it without destroying it, then skew probably didn't get changed. Might've messed up the elevation or azimuth though.
I have confidence in the dish-man to re-point a real dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Changes coming to my local tv market...glad I have FTA!

Quali-TV Diseqc switching

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)