AMIKO Amiko A3 Owners Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
So you just got a shiny new A3. Now what? Hate it! Love It!
Help!

Etc-era.....

Reactions: ParaclipseCKu
Yep. I am officially the forum

tumblr_lzoll88SB41qfk87to1_500.gif

Reactions: dougruss
Right.. I am the example of what NOT TO DO.

Now I have totally ruined the A3, it’s not usable or fixable by me. I did not make a backup of it before I wiped it out and I have no way to put it back as it should be.

Now I will have to pay money to mail it back and forth for repair.

<blink>BECAUSE I AM A DUMB***</blink>

Is there any documentation in the package that specifically says "NEVER do a factory reset"? Because if there isn't, IMO YOU shouldn't have to pay for repairs.

Because:

1: Obviously the ability to easily factory reset exists, as you did it. This shouldn't even be available IF it's a problem and people shouldn't do it.
2: Nobody warned you NOT to do it, and the first thing we are usually told with a big issue is to FACTORY RESET our receivers.

So: You did nothing wrong, and this issue probably will save a lot of other people from doing the same thing.

So you just did a reset?? Don't have mine yet.

Hello All
I got my A3 yesterday, I was able to set it up, is connected to my c-band dish, setup my wifi first , no problems, scan a few sats, is not the fastest scanner but i don't care how fast it does it as long is accurate, just scan 118.8 c-band pick up 80 fta channels, picture quality is good, installed a external 500GB HDD no problems formatting it, I started to record one channel now i will see how good it is later, the rcu, the home button is to close to the down arrow, sometimes it gets on the way and it goes back to home.
I haven't play with the android part yet.
there is other things that bugs me but I am learning, I which the remote had a sat button, if I move my dish to another sat, I want to be able to just to choose that sat and just display the channels under that sat.
Well so far so good.
Regards.
Tunder

I was having a problem getting the satellite and switch settings to change to what I needed them to be on the A3. I would highlight a setting and press OK but the option wasn't changed. I may have tried 8 or 10 times before I got the change made. Then I noticed that the successful changes were accomplished with just the briefest tap of the OK button. If I pressed it like I always had with other receiver remotes it almost always failed. This RF remote/air-mouse is REALLY sensitive. Now I'm not having any problems making menu selections. It's just a matter of getting used to the proper buttons to use for different functions and consciously tapping the button instead of pressing it like I'm used to.

Ernie

There is a Learning Curve to this, but all I can say is WOW ! Very impressed with this Receiver. I too, wish there was a "SAT Button" on the Remote as well!

I haven't received mine yet, but I seem to recall in the Docs I downloaded, reading that there is a screen/menu option to limit the channels to the given satellite. I could be wrong, so check it out to be sure.

Is there any documentation in the package that specifically says "NEVER do a factory reset"? Because if there isn't, IMO YOU shouldn't have to pay for repairs.

Because:

1: Obviously the ability to easily factory reset exists, as you did it. This shouldn't even be available IF it's a problem and people shouldn't do it.
2: Nobody warned you NOT to do it, and the first thing we are usually told with a big issue is to FACTORY RESET our receivers.

So: You did nothing wrong, and this issue probably will save a lot of other people from doing the same thing.

We have entered a new era where the satellite receiver is an app on an Android computer. There is no problem to "factory reset our receiver" by performing a reset of the satellite app. User App data such as satellite, channel, switch and motor setting could be lost, but it could be re-entered or downloaded and loaded. Dee Ann has a working A3, but not the customized install package installed for North Ametica users.

There is a problem if a user factory resets the entire A3 computer's Android OS. This is not the same as clearing app data. Warning prompts appear on-screen that must be accepted before a factory reset procedure can be performed. The guide specifically states that A3 apps will be deleted and cannot be restored unless from the users back-up.

Folks this is a computer. My computer gives me an option to format the c drive, should I do it? What happens to your computer when you reset the OS or erase the c drive? I know by experience that it takes days to load and configure (and some software repurchased), but if I have a back-up it can be restored quickly.

Joe can lock the A3 OS down so it cannot be rooted and system apps cannot be removed or modified to save ourselves from ourselves, or we can read and follow instructions for our new A3 computer. Personally, I want a A3 that I can optimize for my usage, compatibility and performance with apps. If this means that I should follow basic computer protocol and back-up my data, then great! That takes a few minutes and I can always return to a point before I messed up something!

Primestar, I read through the documents provided with the A3 and I see that the user is directed to the A3 site for guides and instructions. It is very obvious to me that the user is instructed to make back-ups, what to back up and warned of what will happen without back-ups.

Joe has provided some great guides and the back-up process is only a few steps. When my A3 arrives, I will immediately perform a back-up before I experiment or mess-up something (and I know I will)!

Just got off the phone with Brian at Titanium and he’s going to send me the information to send the unit back for repair.
It’s not simply a matter of reloading it with someone else’s files, apparently each unit has code unique to that unit and loading someone else’s copy would not work right.

So back it goes to the gurus so they can put it back like it should be.

Lesson learned !!

WHEN YOU GET YOUR A3, BACK IT UP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!
DO NOT PIDDLE WITH IT, DO NOT PLAY WITH IT, DO NOT EXPLORE IT,

BACK IT UP FIRST.

BACK IT UP FIRST.

BACK IT UP FIRST.

BACK UP EVERYTHING OR YOU COULD END UP LIKE ME, WITH A PRETTY RED BRICK THAT YOU HAVE TO SEND BACK FOR REPAIR.

So now I am looking at well into next week before I have my A3 back figuring in the shipping both ways and the bench time.

Do not be stupid, like me. I am an idiot. I break things because I don’t read directions and I do stupid things.

You too can be an idiot like me if you don’t back up your A3. :sorrow:sorrow:sorrow:sorrow:sorrow:sorrow:sorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: dougruss
Do not be stupid, like me. I am an idiot. I break things because I don’t read directions and I do stupid things.

Are you sure you're not a man? That's how we operate! If you are for sure female, we can set you up with an honorary Man Card!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have been playing with mine since I got home from Jury Duty. I have yet to get it to scan in anything from the satellite, but will fool with that later.

Loaded all the apps on it that I wanted to use on it and all work except for the WWE app. When you try playing any videos or watching live with it you get an error message that the video could not be played.

I had to upgrade the Google Play stuff so that DISH anywhere would work with it. Once I did that DISH Anywhere worked great.

I didn't think I would like the remote but I do like it more then I thought I would.

The media function in it works ok. It can plpay my BlueRays I ripped to MP4 but I dont thing it plays the ISO files (I will have to test this more later!)

While you can change the on screen time to 12 hour time I haven't found a way to change it on the on box display which is showing the time in 24 hour format.

I am wondering what size table screen this thing is emulating. As I notice the PQ on some channels is not as good as the PQ on my Roku 3 unit tuned to the same channel. I am also wondering if there is a way to set it to output in 1080p 24/25 instead of 50 or 60... As if I can can get it 24 or 25 then I have a special cable which can upconvert everything to 2160p (4K) on my 4K TV. :D

Without even screwing around with the satellite part this box blows the Google TV platform out of the water which is funny since this is a Google Android platform too.