SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Analyst Gives Toshiba Positve Mark for Super Bowl Ad
HomeMediaMagazine.com | Bringing Digital Entertainment To You

Author: CHRIS TRIBBEY

Posted: February 6, 2008

It was less than 30 seconds long, cost just under $3 million, reportedly aired just before halftime, and didn’t air in some markets at all.

Did Toshiba and HD DVD get their money’s worth with their commercial during the Super Bowl on Feb. 3?

According to more than one expert on advertising during the big game, yes.

“Even at a price of up to $2.7 million, a Super Bowl placement may be worth it to an advertiser if they are trying to establish legitimacy, an image of brand dominance, or bring a new product or brand to the attention of vast numbers of consumers,” said Peter Orlik, director of Central Michigan University’s School of Broadcasting and Cinematic Arts. “Thus, such a buy makes sense for Toshiba, particularly as more content providers seem to be affiliating with the competing Blu-ray system.”

The ad featured several people in a living room cheering during a football game. A narrator tells viewers that after they’re done watching the game in high-def, they should watch movies in high-def on HD DVD. Along with clips of Transformers and The Bourne Ultimatum, the ad plugged the hardware’s price of just under $150, and pointed to Amazon.com, Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart as retailers where the players can be purchased.

“It has always been our strategy to reach HDTV owners, using advertising on football games as just one vehicle,” Jodi Sally, VP of marketing for the Toshiba Digital A/V Group, told Home Media Magazine before the commercial aired. “If you recall, we had advertised on Sunday Night Football all season long.”

The ad aired just after the end of the first half, when many viewers may have been headed to the restroom or fridge, and according to TVPredictions.com, the ad did not air in some markets, and more than one person reported the ad was broadcast in their homes in standard definition.

But the ability to watch the ads online, and the buzz around the high-def format war, gives the ad legs beyond those original 30 seconds. The commercial had nearly 100,000 views on YouTube by Feb. 6, and the Internet can continue to be a place for HD DVD to push advertising, Orlik said,

“They may be able to get substantially more buzz by … seeding a number of Web sites that draw their target audiences, or by investing in a product placement that is highly integrated with the benefit they are trying to establish in the minds of their prime consumers,” he said.

Once again, lets look at the numbers for the next two weeks to see if the ad had impact. It does not matter what anyone thinks of the ad -- did the guy (in this case the author and/or consumer) go out and buy a HD-DVD player -- that's the $2.7 million dollar question.

Analyst Gives Toshiba Positve Mark for Super Bowl Ad
HomeMediaMagazine.com | Bringing Digital Entertainment To You

Author: CHRIS TRIBBEY

Posted: February 6, 2008

It was less than 30 seconds long, cost just under $3 million, reportedly aired just before halftime, and didn’t air in some markets at all.

Did Toshiba and HD DVD get their money’s worth with their commercial during the Super Bowl on Feb. 3?

According to more than one expert on advertising during the big game, yes.

“Even at a price of up to $2.7 million, a Super Bowl placement may be worth it to an advertiser if they are trying to establish legitimacy, an image of brand dominance, or bring a new product or brand to the attention of vast numbers of consumers,” said Peter Orlik, director of Central Michigan University’s School of Broadcasting and Cinematic Arts. “Thus, such a buy makes sense for Toshiba, particularly as more content providers seem to be affiliating with the competing Blu-ray system.”

The ad featured several people in a living room cheering during a football game. A narrator tells viewers that after they’re done watching the game in high-def, they should watch movies in high-def on HD DVD. Along with clips of Transformers and The Bourne Ultimatum, the ad plugged the hardware’s price of just under $150, and pointed to Amazon.com, Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart as retailers where the players can be purchased.

“It has always been our strategy to reach HDTV owners, using advertising on football games as just one vehicle,” Jodi Sally, VP of marketing for the Toshiba Digital A/V Group, told Home Media Magazine before the commercial aired. “If you recall, we had advertised on Sunday Night Football all season long.”

The ad aired just after the end of the first half, when many viewers may have been headed to the restroom or fridge, and according to TVPredictions.com, the ad did not air in some markets, and more than one person reported the ad was broadcast in their homes in standard definition.

But the ability to watch the ads online, and the buzz around the high-def format war, gives the ad legs beyond those original 30 seconds. The commercial had nearly 100,000 views on YouTube by Feb. 6, and the Internet can continue to be a place for HD DVD to push advertising, Orlik said,

“They may be able to get substantially more buzz by … seeding a number of Web sites that draw their target audiences, or by investing in a product placement that is highly integrated with the benefit they are trying to establish in the minds of their prime consumers,” he said.

They failed to mention that more than half of the country didn't see the Toshiba ad.

They failed to mention that more than half of the country didn't see the Toshiba ad.
Yes it did.

Is "half of the country" a speculation or do you have proof?

Not really, its been proven than Amazon is not a "true" gauge of overall sales.

Many times HDDVD has done very well there on software and been only a blip once the numbers came out.

The ad was a joke, everybody should get over it. It was made to be a large explosion and HD-DVD rumors were running wild about what great news it would bring; it ended up being a weak fart with no smell.

Many times HDDVD has done very well there on software and been only a blip once the numbers came out.

Circuit City, who a lot of people all said they were dumping HD DVD a couple weeks ago, also seems to be selling the HD-A3 pretty well, at least on their web site, with it being the #4 top selling DVD player and the top HD player. Of course I would guess their internet sales would be better than their in store sales since there is no biased or misinformed sales person trying to talk buyers out of the purchase and no store to deal with that keeps the Toshibas back in the warehouse. I also have read a lot from posters who have seen Costcos going through their newly restocked D3's at a pretty good rate as well. I would not expect Toshiba to make massive gains, but a nice upward trend for this week would be nice to see, and it would not be attributed to big sales or pricing errors, just ads (including the Superbowl ad and the featuring of the HD-A3 in Circuit City ads and Best Buy ads with the new pricing).

Circuit City, who a lot of people all said they were dumping HD DVD a couple weeks ago, also seems to be selling the HD-A3 pretty well, at least on their web site, with it being the #4 top selling DVD player and the top HD player. Of course I would guess their internet sales would be better than their in store sales since there is no biased or misinformed sales person trying to talk buyers out of the purchase and no store to deal with that keeps the Toshibas back in the warehouse. I also have read a lot from posters who have seen Costcos going through their newly restocked D3's at a pretty good rate as well. I would not expect Toshiba to make massive gains, but a nice upward trend for this week would be nice to see, and it would not be attributed to big sales or pricing errors, just ads (including the Superbowl ad and the featuring of the HD-A3 in Circuit City ads and Best Buy ads with the new pricing).

I agree, they should get a nice bounce after the ad. But what they need is a landslide and that will probably not happen because of the CE Effect! What's that you might say? Well Toshiba is the only one selling a HD-DVD player so when they are the top seller in HD you forget that there are currently 9 CE BD standalone manufacturers on the market. Hence Toshiba can come in tops and still lose in a lopsided market. What is doing in Toshiba is the numbers game.

Still, they should see a nice bump in the markets where the ad ran, in the markets where they did not -- well we will see.

The ad was a joke, everybody should get over it. It was made to be a large explosion and HD-DVD rumors were running wild about what great news it would bring; it ended up being a weak fart with no smell.
You never seemed to have a problem with Neilson Videoscan "true gauge" when they counted all the BOGO. I didn't hear your opinion one time when Open Season(throw in) was #2 in sales.

With all the buy a TV and throw in a free BD player there is no "true gauge".

This ad is getting alot of play since the superbowl.

How much you want to bet that about 85% of the people watching that ad online are people like you and me that have already made their decisions but wanted to see "how Toshiba did" with the ad?

You never seemed to have a problem with Neilson Videoscan "true gauge" when they counted all the BOGO. I didn't hear your opinion one time when Open Season(throw in) was #2 in sales.

With all the buy a TV and throw in a free BD player there is no "true gauge".

I think you missed the point. Neilsen at least looks at multiple sources and, perhaps more importantly, multiple types of sources - not just one online retailer.

How much you want to bet that about 85% of the people watching that ad online are people like you and me that have already made their decisions but wanted to see "how Toshiba did" with the ad?

I think you missed the point. Neilsen at least looks at multiple sources and, perhaps more importantly, multiple types of sources - not just one online retailer.
I didn't mean watchin it online, I've seen it 10+ times since the Superbowl on TV. Its suppose to be the start of this big ad blitz.

You all the more make my point about Neilson Videoscan, they gathered stats from multiple sources and still got is so wrong. Its just to the larger point I've made about there is no 'true' measurement. Especially when 40% of DVD sales(Walmart) aren't even counted. So folks should not pick and choose to use stats when its convenient for the point their attempting to make.

...Toshiba is the only one selling a HD-DVD player so when they are the top seller in HD you forget that there are currently 9 CE BD standalone manufacturers on the market.
Nice spin.
But you can look at it another way: 9 (nine!!) BD manufacturers needed a year to beat 1 (one!!) in manufacturing players...:)

And even the more recent BD players like Panasonic BD30 can hardly be used for regular DVD playback -
at least not by the BD "quality or death" crowd: their performance is so lousy (better term would be garbage)
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
that even sub-$100 players beat them in every respect
DVD Benchmark

Very encouraging information about BD CE manufacturers.
And this is one of the better names... :D

Diogen.

Be careful criticizing the BD30 some people will get offended. Its suppose to be a great player. Highly recommended!! In fact someone here always suggest it.

Let me remind those who might be looking for a player. The DMP-BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio . Also getting disappointing reviews for up conversion. STAY AWAY FROM THE Panasonic BD30.

Since it was touted at release as the BD yardstick all BD backers jumped onboard blindly. The big bad BD30 the Cadillac of BD. Now that so many talking points have been invested none of them wants to accept it’s a crappy player, and for $500 WOW. And no I can’t currently recommend a BD player.

Its suppose to be a great player...
BD player... Maybe. Can say nothing about that.
But it is a sh!tty DVD player.

And I'd love to see any of the BD fanboys claim it is a "good enough" DVD player...:D

Diogen.

Did you "readed" that somewhere? Or just make it up?

Vurb, he's telling the truth. It was a targeted regional ad. I wish they had aired 3 or even 1 ad nationally combined with the price cuts. If so, there would likely be 300k or more new HD DVD owners this month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)