Anamorphic widescreen

Followup: my 722 in solo mode definitely will put out anamorphic widescreen on the TV2 outputs. This is called "normal" according to repeated pressing of the format button. So all I do is select "wide" on my brand new HDTV and voila; picture is pretty darn good for an HD channel over an SD output (composite) on a 32" TV.

The only trouble is that I didn't really want to be in solo mode. Why oh why won't Dish do the right thing and allow anamorphic on TV2 when a duodvr receiver is in dual mode?

Followup: my 722 in solo mode definitely will put out anamorphic widescreen on the TV2 outputs. This is called "normal" according to repeated pressing of the format button. So all I do is select "wide" on my brand new HDTV and voila; picture is pretty darn good for an HD channel over an SD output (composite) on a 32" TV.

The only trouble is that I didn't really want to be in solo mode. Why oh why won't Dish do the right thing and allow anamorphic on TV2 when a duodvr receiver is in dual mode?

Yep it works great in solo mode. I leave my 722 that way and just have several rf remotes around the house for the distibuted channel. I have a few 211s where I want an HD pic

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

99.9999% of Dish subs have never even heard of anamorphic, much less use it.

Dish receivers are designed for mass market use and that excludes anamorphic displays.

So for the 2 or 3 Dish subs that want it -- nope.

You don't have to know what Anamorphic means. But most of that 99.9999% that doesn't know what it means know that when they put their SD DVD on their 16x9 aspect ratio TV via regular video connection (Composite) or via "channel 3", the entire screen is filled up and shows the picture properly (not stretched out). That is all anyone needs to know. That is the one thing that TV2 on the 622/722 Dish receiver does not do in the dual mode. It does it in the single/solo mode, not the dual mode. This was something I complained long and hard about many years ago.

Even in dual mode, the TV1 and TV2 outputs can be modulated simultaneously to two different RF channels to the TV2 location (in my case ch69 and ch60, respectively), yet only the TV1 signal is anamorphic, so that lends to the credence that the single HD processor is what is causing the limitation on the TV2 output not being anamorphic.

You lost me. There's an HD downconverter turning HD channels into SD channels on TV2, simultaneously with full HD operation on a different channel for TV1. So why can't this hardware simply present an anamorphic SD signal on TV2? This consumes the exact same bandwidth as any other SD signal. It will do fullscreen SD signals on TV2 no problem. But it insists on letterboxing (or zooming) the HD channel. One might even argue that zooming is more complicated to the hardware than anamorphic output.

Good point, Krell. I dunno. Sounds like it could be feasible. But with ViPs being the previous model line, unlikely to change at this point, unless it's a simple software update and enough people make noise about it???

Good point, Krell. I dunno. Sounds like it could be feasible. But with ViPs being the previous model line, unlikely to change at this point, unless it's a simple software update and enough people make noise about it???

I will like that to happen also. Atleast the black bars on the top will be out plus a better picture

People have been making noise about this for years. It's not going to change. I sympathize with The Krell because I use TV2 output for a second hdtv myself. But I realize that asking Dish to "fix" this is a waste of time. Dish wants people to move on to the H/J system, and isn't going to spend a dime paying an engineer to change the software of the dual tv dvrs if that what was needed. And if it is built into the hardware then they won't release an updated version of the unit.

You lost me. There's an HD downconverter turning HD channels into SD channels on TV2, simultaneously with full HD operation on a different channel for TV1. So why can't this hardware simply present an anamorphic SD signal on TV2? This consumes the exact same bandwidth as any other SD signal. It will do fullscreen SD signals on TV2 no problem. But it insists on letterboxing (or zooming) the HD channel. One might even argue that zooming is more complicated to the hardware than anamorphic output.
It would then be a 16 X 9 displayed on a 4 X 3 field. What that would yield would most likely be a postage stamp display. AKA black bars all the way around. Not what you are asking for. It would take more s/w adjustments than they want to spend the time on. It is probably not considered worth the time or effort for the few that have asked for it.

It would then be a 16 X 9 displayed on a 4 X 3 field. What that would yield would most likely be a postage stamp display. AKA black bars all the way around.

No, no, a thousand times no! The picture-framed image is what we see now, when TV2 is on a widescreen channel, because the receiver letterboxes it. There is only one other option available in dual mode, and that's zoom which fixes the vertical but chops off the picture on both sides. Indeed, none of these are what I want.

Why is this so difficult? Every DVD player in existence can put out an anamorphic SD signal. Why can't my 722? (Well, it can in solo mode.)

Why is this so difficult? Every DVD player in existence can put out an anamorphic SD signal. Why can't my 722? (Well, it can in solo mode.)
The 622/722/722K units were made when most households with hdtv's only had one. When multiple hdtv's became more common the 922 was released and now there's the H/J. That's why it works the way it does. It's difficult to change because Dish doesn't want to spend the money to fix it. It is what it is. The only way to "fix" it, is to connect TV2 out to a sdtv and then get another hd receiver/dvr for your other hdtv. Which is probably what Dish wants us to do.

I doubt it is all that difficult and would bet the hardware is capable - as you said it is already defaulting to the equivalent of "stretch" to provide a center-cut image.

KISS prinicple for the majority that probably are not using TV2 for HD units (granted that is probably quickly changing) is the probably only reason they keep it as is, they don't want the "my picture looks squeezed" calls.

Like others, I doubt it will be changed at this point. I would think the only love the 722 series is getting at this point are major bug fixes and revenue generating features.

I forget, are the format options on the modulated TV1 output available in dual mode? At least that way you'd have the option when there are no viewing conflicts.

I forget, are the format options on the modulated TV1 output available in dual mode? At least that way you'd have the option when there are no viewing conflicts.
Yes, the modulated TV1 output in dual mode acts just as if you were watching it on TV1, with all the format options available. It's a shame they couldn't have been available for the TV2 output.

I think we all agree on the ease and desirability. And, sadly, on the likelihood of ever seeing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)