Another HTPC building thread

freezy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Land of Sky Blue Water
I'm trying to build HTPC with a SATA LiteOn BD-ROM drive
on an Abit NF-M2SV with an AM2 AMD 64x2 4800 (I think)
2GB GSkill ddr2-800 (red heatsinks?) running at 1.9v
470W PCP&C Silencer

I have a Radeon x600 installed now

There is a Geforce 220 on the way. It has native HDMI

At first I wanted to use Ubuntu 10.04LTS but there was an issue with nv_sata driver thingy in the Linux Kernel. I opted for xp

Big question. Since this Geforce 220 has s/pdif pass-thru and my TV has an optical digital audio output, shouldn't I be able to just connect the TV to my surround receiver and all the dts, neo and dolby stuff work? Then, can I just use the integrated hd audio built into the motherboard instead of installing a sound card with another s/pdif output?

All the Hi Def Audios only work using HDMI. Only one audio will work either the video card audio or the sound cards audio.
I personally do not like mixing video cards and processors. I like to keep Radeons and AMD chips together and Nvidia with Intel.
Make sure your card is HDCP Ready or Bluray will not play. If the computer is near the TV opt for a fan less card designed for HTPC.s.
I put a Radeon HD 4550 1GB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready in my PC. After a driver upgrade I was getting all multi channel audio that I could not get from my on board audio card
Search the computer forum for other builds by members. Vurbano's has a nice build an lots of recommendations.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/computer-electronic-gadgetszone/209226-home-theater-pcs.html

I got rid of the LiteOn BD-ROM drive and got one that burns DVDs too. I had a spare HDD laying sround so I tried installing Fedora 13 again. It went off without a hitch.

The old blu-ray drive was an oem version and came with no software. This one came with Cyberlink PowerDVD. I also have a full retail version of Corel WinDVD Plus.

I haven't used either player software. Is one better than the other?

heres my log from windvd

CyberLink BD & 3D Advisor Check Item BD Ready? Info
CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ :
System Memory :
2048 MB
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Disk Drive: [D:] LiteOn SATA BD-ROM DVD-RW iHES208 2
Software Player : PowerDVD 7.3.5711.0* (2 channel audio)
Video Connection Type : Digital(with HDCP) Yes Player Capability for Bonus View : Yes Yes Player Capability for BD Live

i think it works pretty nice. My TV doesn't qualify for 3D otherwise this was a pretty cheap build and does everything I need it to do

i also got a mini hand held key\touchpad

sucks for typing, makes a decent remote

Last edited:
I didn't list the hard drives but I have a 40GB sata WD internal and a 250GB external hard drive. Why not a TB or bigger? I don't like long term storing stuff magnetically. I can't think of any situation where I "must" have a Terrabyte of entertainment at my immediate disposal. Maybe when hologram TV comes out, till then 250GB is big enough

11-154-061-S01

thats the case i used. i also install a multi media card reader in the floppy bay.
oem powerdvd is limited to 2ch audio...sucks

i may need to open the corel windvd.

does anybody prefer windvd to powerdvd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts