Another Lawsuit for Dish?

lovely, another lawsuit to distract them from adding features and new HD channels...

As much as I would like Charlie have his testicles handed to him (I'm fussy about MLBEI) it's amazing to me that a company could even be ALLOWED to file a lawsuit on a patent that was issues YEARS after Echostar started business. Unless I'm reading it wrong the patent was filed in 2000 issued in 2001. I was under the impression at patent isn't enforceable until after it's issued.

That patent abstract is terrible writing. "[T]wo different frequencies and polarities to be transmitted simultaneously over the same cable"? Now, we all know what they mean -- signals received from transponders of different polarities -- but as it's written it implies that the RF signals have polarity within the cable, which they don't -- they only have polarization (how the satellite world renamed this to polarity, I have no idea) when travelling as transverse EM waves in space, not as longitudinal electric waves in the cable.

The stupid patent office strikes again.... If you can't beat 'em in the marketplace, get a bogus patent and beat 'em in the courtroom....

That would be a major problem as the cost to run extra cables for a large number of customers would be HUGE!

That would be end of Dish DP and DPP technology, if they don't have own patents.

That's what I was thinking too. Since Global Communications Inc. has patents on satellite receiving and distribution systems all I could come up with was DP and DPP. DPP is the latest technology by E* so I would say that's what they are being sued for.

Wouldn't this have to do with any switches ever made by Dish Network or Directv or just the more advanced ones with the DP and DPP technology?

After reading up on the patent that they have it looks like Dish Network and Directv both are screwed. Time to poney up the big bucks. There aint no way they are going to be able to go out there and get every switch and lnbf with a switch built in ever made for less than what a patent would cost or with what cost it would do to this whole satellite industry unless you want to change all the dishes to make them rotate with all boxes having to watch off the same satellite that it is rotated to and all that expense. Ain't gonna happen. That would be like C-Band days again with rotating dishes and most would just switch back to cable before that would happen.

I see a dismissal and wrong prosecution suit on the way. GO CHUCK!

I wouldnt say that just yet. Plenty of lawsuits that many thought were bogus went to trial and the patent holders one.

Not to different really from the mp3 lawsuits working their way through the courts. Whether or not its bogus depends on your point of view. But its interesting that they werent filed until portable players became big business and Fraunhofer was making a lot more money.

But its interesting that they werent filed until portable players became big business and Fraunhofer was making a lot more money.

That's the way it often works. I think these guys took a lesson from illicit drug dealers... let 'em get hooked, then extort them for every penny. That is just another major problem with the current patent system. How many patent rights are sued over only after a company has integrated the technology into a multi-million dollar business venture? Do you think any of these companies would have stuck with the patents they were allegedly infringing upon had they seen this coming? (OK, granted, in some cases this is a deliberate calculated risk, but much of the time the initial infringement is unintentional).

Besides eliminating all the bogus, generalized patents, the law also needs to address how long a company has to enforce its patents or siginificantly limit the damages for companies who do not immediately seek relief for infringement.

This whole Lawyers and Lawsuit this is wrecking this country. I am so sick of people of suing everyone is out of hand.:mad:

Amen to that but what the hell, I'm going to sue E for giving me a better choice over D. It's just not right that E can be so much better and offer more HD than D, they should be made to pay....Running to lawyers office.;) ;)

Wouldn't this have to do with any switches ever made by Dish Network or Directv or just the more advanced ones with the DP and DPP technology?

After reading up on the patent that they have it looks like Dish Network and Directv both are screwed. Time to poney up the big bucks. There aint no way they are going to be able to go out there and get every switch and lnbf with a switch built in ever made for less than what a patent would cost or with what cost it would do to this whole satellite industry unless you want to change all the dishes to make them rotate with all boxes having to watch off the same satellite that it is rotated to and all that expense. Ain't gonna happen. That would be like C-Band days again with rotating dishes and most would just switch back to cable before that would happen.

Would be interesting to see if D* would be next with their new FTM technology?.:confused:

Dual LNBF Questions

Superstations in HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)