Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I have been salvaging some circuit boards lately and have acquired a pile of components. I decided I wanted to make something. I had a lot of fun with the Deluxe Polarity Control circuit. N0QBH also has a basic control circuit :) So I decided to stick one of those in a new V-Box 7. NOTE: VBox controllers are no longer being imported to the states. They have been cheapened too much. :eek The failure rate is too high.
Well I managed to find some at LeoMall. Cheap :) So now with soldering iron in hand I'm starting the new project. Instead of a display there will only be a bi-color LED indicating V or H polarity. There is no skew adjust control. It basically operates like a voltage switch LNBF, simple. But since there are discrepancies between individual polarity servo motors, there is a calibration adjustment in the circuit (10K pot)
http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/satellite/sat_projects.html

Pictures to follow :)

Well the camera is working. Unfortunately the polarity control is not. I had a devil of a time getting the chip to flash and I think therein lies the problem. I checked powers and grounds and checked continuity with no issues observed. I'll work on the chip and see what I find. :)

VBoxMod 004.JPG VBoxMod 010.JPG VBoxMod 016.JPG VBoxMod 025.JPG VBoxMod 026.JPG

Reactions: riz-la
:happydance As I suspected. Reflashed the chip correctly this time. It helps to know how to use your programmer ;) This thing works pretty good. Calibrated easily. Very good stuff N0QBH, I like it!!!

Reactions: N0QBH
I have an old VBox 7 with a broken F fitting. It has a metal I/O plate on the back for the connectors. I found a good replacement F fitting during salvage operations and I think I'll do an "OverHaulin" job on that VBox and make some improvements and make it look pretty.
It needs a fuse for one. Unlike the newer cheaper cousin the old VBox does not have a connecter from the transformer to the main board. :( It's soldered directly onto the board. That makes working on the main board like dragging a ball & chain. I salvaged one of those connectors too :) The polarity indication LED is a bit bright and I think I will leave it inside behind the darkened lens on this unit. The old VBoxes have a better firmware than the new ones. This one will go on the Pinnacle with a Corotor II.

Next project will be an optical sensor for my other AJAK. I have all the pieces now. :) With this will be an optical sensor adaptor on the ASC1. I got some ideas I want to try out :)

Weird Wonkiness!! I had an attack the other night. I have a reproduction Star Trek hand phaser with flashing lights and sounds sitting on my desk, ornamental like. Out of the blue it starts firing itself when I turn on and off the desk lamp. Every time like clockwork. I played with the phenom for a bit. Now it's gone. Not a peep from the phaser now and it never did it before the other night.

Cool add-on. :)

Thanks for posting.

Well that is different! :)

Never rains, but it pours. My main computer just blew the power supply :( :( :( But I got the parts to finish the VBox ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)

Latest posts