Another S-10 hardware problem found

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Google has not been a great help yet. Engineers have hundreds of line cards on their desks and eager salesmen on their speed dial. One of my favorite engineers had over 200 catalogs in his cubicle, one computer dedicated to part number cross references with vendors (shared with purchasing) which was all proprietary information. Can you imagine what it costs to shut down a production line for want of a part? Or how about parts that fail 22,000 miles from home? Cost is not the major consideration.

If a small part made your favorite receiver work RIGHT, would it be worth an extra $5? I know several satguys who would choke at that (see microHD thread).

Remember these guys design airplane and the electronics that support them, satellites and the communications that control them and the satellite telephone systems used to give us the live feeds from Desert Freedom. Google will not have most of that information.

Silan has a device similar to the SD4844, which is the SD4870. The SD4870 has a much higher power rating. I don't see a source for it, but it appears to be very much like the Fairchild FSDM0565RB, which is available from Mouser Electronics. It would require some re-engineering to apply either the SD4870 or FSDM0565RB to the Openbox Power Supply. Rating would go to 65 watts max.

probably easier just to swap out the power supply with a salvage job.
My receiver has more of a load,I added a 12v 160ma fan for the cpu and no power supply woes yet.The back label lied,they said 50ma max

Is there an easy way to test the voltage to this when I power the motor to diagnose the problem for sure? It shuts down like clockwork anytime you turn on USALS. I am very experienced with troubleshooting automotive circuits but an amateur when it comes to circuitboards. I have lots of testing equipment so I just need some assistance.

Well here is what is going on "across the pond" with this. This is a C/P from "Magore" posted yesterday.

Just a quick note - I changed my SD4841 to a SD4844 and it works - my dish motor runs fine with no resets.
I was able to obtain the parts from Shenzhen Jbest Electronics Firm via alibaba.com - searched for sd4844.
The power supply runs cool enough that I am not worried at this point.

I asked a few details about how he ordered the SD4844 and what it cost. I did not get an answer back yet.
Meantime another member "Slugworth" has found a source for the whole supply U.S.$10.89 free shipping from China. A close look at the board in the photo shows a mfg date of 1-2011, earlier than the troublesome boards that have been reported. I'm beginning to suspect that they may have run out of the SD4844 and substituted the SD4841 to keep production going. Might be why we have had trouble finding that part.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/...ard-free.html&cv=10790147&af=cj_5320187&vd=30

Last edited:
It could be potluck from china though,you can't always judge from a picture what you are actually going to get.
You may end up with a power supply exactly the same with the older part.

another alternative is people with older fta receivers that may have power supplies with the same output voltages and physical size,do a salvage job and use that supply instead.I will look at my old viewsat platinum lite to see what supply it has.

It could be potluck from china though,you can't always judge from a picture what you are actually going to get.
You may end up with a power supply exactly the same with the older part.

Well for ten bucks some daring soul can take this huge risk and report back here for the rest.

I salvaged a power supply from a CNX box. Mounted the CNX supply in a external enclosure made from an old radioshack intercom, Noted voltages of old supply, Found similar voltage in the CNX supply and noted locations, cut ribbon cable from both supplied and matched (power disconnected ;-) Used small pieces of heat shrink over soldered wire connections. Everything has been working great for several months now thanks to this thread. Thanks!!!

I never found a source for the chip. However one guy on another message board found the whole supply for $10 free ship to the US from China.
You can order one now, or wait and I'll report back when he gets his if it fixes the power supply issue. Prob 2-3 weeks by China Post.

UPDATE:

The replacment supplys from China have the same SD-4144 chip and the same problem so don't bother with them. However the SD-4844 has now been found on E-bay and sells for just a few dollars. These have been successfully changed even by people who don't solder much and fixed the voltage problem. Do a search on Ebay for SD-4844.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)