antenna for fringe reception - car

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
I have Sirius lifetime sub in my car... my car is now in Alaska with me. I would like the best possible antenna system I can put together. Currently my shark fin antenna (E90 BMW) receives signal on certain roads and when parked with LOS. I understand low spots and roads near dense trees will not work but I have noticed I get signal on certain roads but only when driving west (antenna isn't at car's highest point, more towards the rear, and sband chip is surface mounted)..

Ideally I need an antenna deign that can be mounted at the exact top of the car and maybe a little height gain. I would like an antenna with high gain, so bigger elements... lastly most antennas are designed with beamwidths that point up, mine needs to point 360 degree to the horizons like a doughnut. I suppose a tiny enclosed patch antenna that can track southwest on a 360 degree train as the car turns is best.

Anyone have ideas or places to start. I know the signal is landing on my car, I just need to collect more of it.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3570/kw/alaska
Doesn't appear they include Ak in their satellite coverage.

I'm thinking fixed position, 2.3Ghz patch antenna mounted to the focal point of a BUD. (Not the beer - a Big Ugly Dish) ((But I prefer Beautiful Useful Dish))

Next option: may be some Alaskan SiriusXM listeners here: http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/
I think the OP is looking for ideas for an antenna for his Car, not home.
The link you posted says that Alaska IS included.

Internet is included in Internet Radio, not satellite.
you can enjoy SiriusXM Satellite Radio almost anywhere - within the 48 contiguous United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico (with some limitations), hundreds of miles out into the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea and the Great Lakes.
SiriusXM Internet Radio is available throughout our satellite service area plus Alaska and Hawaii.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)