Any chance of Dish getting Oln's HD feed?

jeffwtux

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Do you think there is any chance of Dish(or DirecTV) getting the OLN NHL games in HD that will be on InHD? You might think that's crazy, but Comcast is paying $66 million/year for these NHL rights that ESPN said it couldn't make a profit at $60 million/year and ESPN is in far more homes commanding far better ad and subscription rates. Comcast will need every penny that they can get. Meanwhile Dish has an empty Voom package and needs to pay for the 129 satellite somehow. If they offered a couple million year for the HD games and got an additional 10,000 Voom subscribers it could be a win/win all the way around. Again, comcast is going to have a tough time making a profit on this so they need all the help they can get. This isn't like the NBA games that were InHD, unless they don't care about flushing money down the toilet. More people watch reruns of World Series of Poker than watch NHL games.

NHL tends to be a regional sports thing, I would like to see dish do the games in hd on oln but Im wondering if theyr concerned about it competing with the nhl center ice package.

Well there is no "OLNHD" so they would have to buy the rights to the HD feed and put them someplace else and what do you know? They have RushHD that desperately needs sporting events. Plus, the extra cost of that they pay for it wouldn't spill over onto the HIGHLY PRICE SENSITIVE basic packages like AT60, 120, or 180. Almost nobody subscribes to the VOOM package yet and if this gets more people to buy it at $5/month, it should pay. As for the NHL center-ice package, that's sort of a different animal because games that will be on OLN won't be on center-ice.

jeffwtux said:
...Again, comcast is going to have a tough time making a profit on this so they need all the help they can get. This isn't like the NBA games that were InHD, unless they don't care about flushing money down the toilet. More people watch reruns of World Series of Poker than watch NHL games.

I don't think Dish is in business to "help" out Comcrap.

I think that OLN-HD will only have one or two games a week. Dish does better than that with HDNet (which Comcast does not carry). Plus dish will also carry some NHL:CI games in HD. So as far as Dish is concerned, they do have their HDTV NHL bases covered.

I don't expect them to make any efforts to get OLN-HD games. I think that the ball is in Comcast's court to try to get this channel carried, not the other way around. Comcast has already threatened to black out the NHL games on their SD channel, if it is not moved down to the AT60 tier. Hard-ball is a game that Charlie relishes.

Besides, if Comcast wants OLN to become the next ESPN, they need to play nice with other providers as well as beef up their national sports coverage.

Cyclone said:
I think that OLN-HD will only have one or two games a week. Dish does better than that with HDNet (which Comcast does not carry). Plus dish will also carry some NHL:CI games in HD. So as far as Dish is concerned, they do have their HDTV NHL bases covered.

I don't expect them to make any efforts to get OLN-HD games. I think that the ball is in Comcast's court to try to get this channel carried, not the other way around. Comcast has already threatened to black out the NHL games on their SD channel, if it is not moved down to the AT60 tier. Hard-ball is a game that Charlie relishes.

Besides, if Comcast wants OLN to become the next ESPN, they need to play nice with other providers as well as beef up their national sports coverage.

Once again, there will be no OLN-HD. The NHL games on OLN that are in HD will be on InHD, and how can you guys say that this is only helping Comcast. Charlie used to have these games in HD on ESPNHD now he won't.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but doesnt OLN stand for Outdoor Life Network? What on earth does NHL Hockey have to do with the outdoors? :confused:

Was there a study that showed that outdoorsmen preferred hockey or something?!? :haha

to subscribe or not to subscribe

942: If you could do it all over again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)