Any decent HDTVs < $500?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I want to get a small HDTV for my mother. I'm not looking for something spectacular (obviously) but also not something that is just a bottom of the line, badly made POS either. I've heard tons of conflicting reports about various brands and where you get them from. I've heard mixed stuff about Vizio, mixed things about Walmart TVs, etc. Are there any brands and/or stores that you would recommend going to for a decent ~25" HDTV? Conversely, are there any brands or stores that I should avoid at all costs?

TIA.

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
vizio is popular for the non-expensive versions.. 32" for roughly 500'ish

more popular name brands would drop to the 26" to 19" range for similar pricing

EDIT: You did miss out on good deal for black friday.. I know people who picked up 46" lcd tvs 1080p for 800 bux..

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to go forward with this purchase, but just seeing the info posted by Navy makes this a productive thread (unlike many of those that I start. ;p)

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
eh.. lcds have been made for so damn long by so many companies I doubt most would see any issues especially ones that any tech couldn't fix.. though most fixes (by the time you need them) may cost more than getting a new tv..

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Thank you. I wish I could say I found that link on my own, but it was posted elsewhere here at SatGuys. So I'm just helping to share the wealth. And it's stopped me from considering off brands.

My wife thinks I'm nuts for having so many bookmarks. But they come in handy now and then.

BTW, I stopped at MicroCenter and found a Sharp Aquos (42" or 46") for less than $1800. I did not get the particular model, but I suspect it was the LC46D43U. Well, I'll start another thread on this one. There was a 26" version for around $800. I think these are in store only, so I guess it depends upon where you live. But check out large computer stores and you may find some great prices.

But- look at MicroCenter. They definitely have good prices, including a few below $600.

On edit:
I can give credit to wolfjc for that link as he posted it in this thread.

Last edited:

Lazybird000

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 30, 2007
PolaroidTLX-03210B 32-inch LCD HDTV is a goog choice for you, it is around your budget, you can find it in walmart.com for $500.

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
If you have a Sams Club Membership you can often get repaired units at a huge discount with the same warranty as a NEW TV. Just look for either display samples or returned or fixed TV's from 1st tier manufacturers.
DD

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
So long as you don't plan on ever repairing that Polaroid. See the link I posted earlier.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
Before you buy any of these off brands, maybe you'd better read this.

A good part of this article is designed as sensational journalism. Specifically the Vizio part. First of all Vizio does in home repair on all TVs 32 and up during the warranty period. The second part -sending the TV back to the manufacturer AFTER the warranty is expired is stupid to even bring up. AFTER the warranty is expired you would have it repaired by a local shop just like any brand including the Sony, Panasonic etc.

The part about extended warranties is a bit overdone too. Indeed with price of extended warranties plus the cost of the Tv may often equal the price of the more well known brand without the extended warranty.

Interestingly all of the advertisers on his site are considered tier 1.

Brands like Olevia (who has been around a long time in the business computer field with it's Syntax/ Brillian monitors) and Vizio are reasonably priced in comparison to the "tier 1" brands and often produce as good a picture. Not as good as some but good enough for 90 percent of the population.

Vizio did become a top 3 seller this year with viral support, to the point of beating Samsung one quarter as the top flat panel seller. If the product was bad it would not have had such outstanding sales.
There are many accounts of poor service from the Tier 1 brands too.
Now are there lesser brands to worry about? Definitely Akai, Westinghouse, Zenith, Insignia and Funai to name a few.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I paid $500 for a 32 inch Philips but that was the rseult of a Ubid auction I never thought I would win. Realistically you need to spend more to get a decent HDTV. My Philips is fine for what I paid but tehre are better sets out there. Cheaper sets often produce horrible SD pictures. I would suggest spendinga few hundred more or waiting 6 -12 months.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
I. Realistically you need to spend more to get a decent HDTV. .

Why do you feel this is true? Bose and Monster cost more and they are not better than lesser priced brands.
I will agree that at some price points all you will get is garbage for example a 32 inch for less than 300 dollars.
Higher prices are not a guage of quality or reliability. Higher prices are often commanded by a succesful marketing program that succeds in developing brand recognition.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
eh.. lcds have been made for so damn long by so many companies I doubt most would see any issues especially ones that any tech couldn't fix.. though most fixes (by the time you need them) may cost more than getting a new tv..

This so true since most brands share parts anyway..

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Why do you feel this is true? Bose and Monster cost more and they are not better than lesser priced brands.
I will agree that at some price points all you will get is garbage for example a 32 inch for less than 300 dollars.
Higher prices are not a guage of quality or reliability. Higher prices are often commanded by a succesful marketing program that succeds in developing brand recognition.

I say that because $500 is still quite low for a set of that size. Yes you may stumble upon a deal---as i did---but you will not finda wide selection at that size in that price range. If youa re ware of sets in taht range let us know.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
I get your point about 500 for 32 and up. Nothing out there. Though the OP was inquiring about 25 and up, I would not waste money on less than 32 inches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)