Any Engineers? can a H-H Actuator be built out of Grainger parts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
For the Big Dish has anyone ever built one, I know H-H fo the big dish where discontinued decades ago, and buying a motorized actuator that is decades old would not be smart.

I have a Grainger store in my city, hope someone out there has built one.

I want one because its nerve racking when the 4dtv moves the dish it sometimes freezes and goes out of control, and I have been one of those that has overextended the actuator arm.

Thanks

buying a motorized actuator that is decades old would not be smart
So don't buy a used one, get a new one.
I have been one of those that has overextended the actuator arm
Set the limit switch in the actuator so this does not happen. If the 4DTV or a G or V box relay sticks, No damage.
can a H-H Actuator be built out of Grainger parts?
I'm sure a good metal fab shop could build you anything, including an HtoH mount, provided you supply a good set of drawings. But I wouldn't want to see the invoice. If you happen to be good at metal fab, quite a bit of money could be saved, in exchange for some time, but you're still going to have to have good drawings or another HtoH mount available to take apart to copy.

I have wondered about that myself, but haven't had the time to pursue it... A few years ago, a company in Taiwan had an H - H mount that used a chain and sprocket arangement driven by a gearmotor. These parts should be available, the mounting of them with a sensing unit to count rotations should be possible, for someone with welding talents.

...buying a motorized actuator that is decades old would not be smart.
Some 25 year old H-H mounts were built like tanks!

The Ajak 180 is a case in point.
Ask anybody lucky enough to have one.
In fact, look up the thread by Pendragon where he motorized a 6' Prodelin offset.
He talked about soaking a totally rusted Ajak in oil for days.
If could have found a better solution I trust he would have!

And next, I mention the even more tank-like Birdview!
Members put many hours into refurbishing those for a good reason.
There is nothing like them! - ;)

iPhone 4

I would apreciate that a lot, because thos thing are not sold or are very hard to come by

I wanted to build my own rotor for my small dish mainly because off the shelf units are so slow. They have to use small motors because they are assumed to depend on the tuner for power. But I have an outlet close to the dish. I wanted to make one that could do the full sweep in a couple seconds. It is doable. Just need to use PWM to control the speed to start the motor slow so as not to jerk the dish and slow the motor when close to the target. But making/programing the controller that can do that, and follow USALs/diseqc commands, etc., is a bit much for me to tackle. Not to mention I don't have the money to blow on expermenting to make it all work.

Vorg, there were plans posted to the internet, long before I joined this forum , to supply higher stable voltage to the 2100 motor ( or was it Stab HH90?) :)

In the last few years, Pendragon documented a similar mod to a more modern motor.
He used one existing connector for diseqc control, and the other for direct connection to a dedicated 20 or 24 volt motor power supply.
Made for much faster movement, no load on the receiver, and a lot less trouble than designing an entire controller.

Edit: here ya go -
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...I-DG-380-Separate-Drive-Power?highlight=Motor

iPhone 4

Last edited:
I have a SG2100 with an external power supply for the motor. Here are the plans I used to make it.

Attachments

• Positioner heart surgery.ppt
    227.5 KB · Views: 192
I have the DSI Sg2100 rotor and is modded and uses an external power supply, but it only runs at the speed when fed high V vs Low v from the tuner and is still way too slow for my taste. I want it to go between any two sats within ~1-2 seconds. That is just not possible with stock motor/gearing.

Vorg, you have to get hold of Updatelee. http://updatelee.blogspot.com/2011/02/arduino-controlling-von-weise-actuator.html Although, I'm unsure if the cause of the failure was determined, or remedied.

Didn't see your post first time through. I looked all over that site and didn't find any email contact. I don't use twitter or any of that stuff. He connected a 2A controller to a power supply that could provide 10A> Don't know the pull on that motor he used. Looks like he was doing something for a bud.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts