Any movies with 7.1 audio?

delanewf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I have been looking around for any blu-ray movies that have a 7.1 soundtrack but all I have found is 5.1 PCM or Dolby True HD or DTS Master lossless audio 5.1. I may be wrong, but I thought I read on DTS site that DTS-HD Master Audio was capable of 7.1 as well as the Dolby True HD. Why aren't these formats on the disc? I guess the real question may be "why aren't the studios putting these soundtracks on their discs"?

I have been looking around for any blu-ray movies that have a 7.1 soundtrack but all I have found is 5.1 PCM or Dolby True HD or DTS Master lossless audio 5.1. I may be wrong, but I thought I read on DTS site that DTS-HD Master Audio was capable of 7.1 as well as the Dolby True HD. Why aren't these formats on the disc? I guess the real question may be "why aren't the studios putting these soundtracks on their discs"?

Congrats on your Onkyo 605 receiver, I'm sure you will enjoy it as I have mine. 5.1 PCM audio is the most prevalent on Blu-ray. As to why studios aren't putting 7.1 audio on discs, I suppose there just isn't that much demand. And unfortunately while the 605 supports 7.1, it can do so only from a 7.1 source. It cannot matrix a 5.1 source into 7.1. The higher end models like the 805 can matrix 5.1 into 7.1.

But, you're in luck. Lionsgate has been experimenting with higher channel audio on their Blu-ray releases. Several have 6.1 PCM, such as "Crank" and "The Decent", and a few have 6.1 DTS ES 6.1, such as "Lord of War". Oddly, they've only used 7.1 PCM on comedies - "Weeds, Season 2" and "Waiting".

"Waiting" was just released this Tuesday, and I have it on the way from Netflix. :)

Even on standard DVDs, 6.1 is not very common. I have the older Onkyo 604 (I think), but have never bothered buying the extra 6&7 speakers for it. I'm not sure I would get much out of upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 based on the lack of sources for it.

-John

I know of 2 Blu-Rays with DTS HD Master audio 7.1 so far. "Hell Boy 2" and "Tron: Legacy"

I like that in the audio setup menu Blu-Rays with DTS HD Master indicate 5.1 or 7.1, however Blu-Rays with Dolby TrueHD do not indicate 5.1 or 7.1. Does anyone know how to determine if Blu-Rays with Dolby TrueHD are 5.1 of 7.1?

Lots of others I found by search
Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies - Search Movies
You will notice, for example, that Disney is releasing just about all there titles in 7.1, even older movies.

And just some in my collection
Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection
Tangled
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000
The Sound of Music
Bambi
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dances with Wolves
Scarface
Shrek 3D: The Complete Collection 3D
Seven
3:10 to Yuma
Rabbit Hole
Fiddler on the Roof
How to Train Your Dragon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)