Any suggestions on cutting this bill?

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I'm looking to cut this bill if possible and figure I'd ask the experts since customer service isn't making and understandable answer. Also I'm currently not on contract and would like to avoid locking myself into another contract altho' I won't completely rule that option out.

Current equipment is 2-622vip's and 1-311 the 622's are connected to both internet and phone and the 311 is connected to a phone line.

Current bill is:
0.00 DISH Network DVR Service Fee
7.00 Leased Receiver Fee
5.00 Add'l Receiver Access Fee
20.00 GoldHD with PlatinumHD
5.99 DISH Home Protection Plan
99.98 Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals

137.97 Total

I know AEP includes sports packages which I really don't care about, but I do want all the premium movie channels. I probably don't want to go below AT200. Are there any side-by-side comparison charts for AT200 and AT250.

Thanks in advance for any input suggestions.

How low do you want your bill is the main question here.

I have AT-250 with HD gold, KWGN, KTLA and NYC locals. A ViP 722 and 211. DVR Advantage and Cinemax for a penny a year.

My monthly bill is $80. All those movie channels are almost worthless to me these days. I used to watch lots of movies when we had that V* suite of channels but even after doing the HBO & Starz for free for 3 months, very little interested me so I cancelled it the last day.

Hell I still have movie channels anyway. The Encore channels are included with the 250 pack and shoot.. I went ahead and spent a penny for Cinemax (ain't I a sport? :D) but I think you need to be without Cinemax for 6 months before you can do that.

You can drop the dhpp (protection plan) and save that each month. If you need it for service, you can add it then.
IIRC, if you downgrade from AEP, you'll start getting charged the $5.98 dvr fee for the 622's (each).

You can drop the dhpp (protection plan) and save that each month. If you need it for service, you can add it then.
IIRC, if you downgrade from AEP, you'll start getting charged the $5.98 dvr fee for the 622's (each).

You would get charged 1x$5.98 if you dropped AEP and went with DVR advantage instead.

Try this:

DVR Advantage top 200 $49.99
Leased 622 fee 7.00
2nd DVR fee 5.98
Additional 311 5.00
HD Silver 10.00
--------------------------------------------
subtotal $77.97

HD Platinum $10.00
4 movies @ $10 ea. 40.00
--------------------------------------------
total $127.97

So it's pretty much a wash, the difference between Top 200 and top 250 works out to $10.00. Add in the 5.99 DHP and you're only saving about $4.00. Maybe you could get the penny cinemax and save there. Or as mentioned, cut the HD Platinum but then you lose HDNet movies which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their input. Was just seeing where I could cut as things as getting kind of shaky at work. I guess if I need to cut those movie channels will have to go.

I'm looking to cut this bill if possible and figure I'd ask the experts since customer service isn't making and understandable answer.

My suggestion:

Drop your DISH Network service and watch terrestrial digital tv. :D Maybe even watch TV shows from the net.

Once you have the converter box or HDTV set with ATSC tuner built in, no more fees/charges.

Get a 750 GB external hard drive and fill it full of movies. Once you are done drop your movie packages. When you get low on movies, add movie packages back that you record movies off of the most. This could save you around $30 per month (considering you will be charged the DVR fees for not taking AEP).

I would also drop the Platinum HD package unless you really watch those channels, the DHPP and the 301. You can route a TV2 signal from one of those 622's to the room where that 301 is and take that TV2 remote into that room when someone needs to watch tv in there or just buy another remote for that room. There is another $11 per month allowing you to get it just under $100.

If you prepay annually then you will only have to pay for 11 months instead of 12. There is another 6% which should be around $6 per month (could be off a few bucks).

OR.... get the HD only package, and since things are kinda shaky at work, get a part time job at a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video and get movie rentals for free. I have to admit I'd have a hard time giving up HBO if only for the comedy specials that we watch.... a couple times a year.

I dropped movie channels and went to DVR package with all the HD , I have 2 622.s anda 211 for about 80 bucks amonth. I don't miss the movie channels because I have Netflix and HD/DVD nad Blu Ray

Has anyone thought about dumping their 622's/722's for a couple of 211's, paying the $40 for USB DVR and having NO DVR fees to pay?

Yes, I know each has only one tuner, but if you're trying to cut your bill, it's a thought.

You can also go to dishnetwork.com, log in into your account and click on offers, sometimes you get programing offers. I did that and I got a couple of offers. One of them was Hbo and starz free for three months, the downside is that you will have to agree to a commitment. I will also ask them if they are still offering the Cinemax for 1 Penney.

Last edited:
Get a Netflix streaming box. I dropped all the movie channels, (except for penny Cinemax of course). $8.99/month 1-DVD out at a time, and now pretty good selection of SD streaming movies since they added Starz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts