Any way to avoid $15 fees when xfer to Rental Car?

DLCPhoto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
We're going to be renting a car for a 10-day trip, and would like to use one of our 2 SiriusXM subscriptions on this vehicle. They have informed me that there is a $15 charge on each side of this - transfer to the rental car, and then transfer back.

I had actually tried this out on a short trip a couple of months ago, and before doing it, I had called them, and they said fees would be waived (which I interpreted as being because it would just be a short-term transfer). When I called to actually implement the transfer, they informed me of the $15 charge. I then told them I was told by them that any fees would be waived, and they did honor that, and didn't charge me for either.

I actually contacted them about this after, suggesting that they implement the ability to do the transfer online, so no personnel time would be required, and a fee could be avoided at least for that purpose.

Anyway, I'd really like to avoid paying $30 for short-term transfer, as that's what I can normally pay for 6 months of service to begin with! Any ideas??

Thanks.

Don

Personally, I'd forego the transfer for that kinda money. That's a six month sub!

Terrestrial and Internet radio would work for me.

Reactions: TheKrell
Personally, I'd probably do the same, but my wife is pretty addicted to her SiriusXM Radio, and we're looking at a 1,000 mile trip, each way.

Any other thoughts/suggestions appreciated (although I'm not real hopeful!).

Every car I have rented in the last 10 years has already has SiriusXM activated.

Scott - that does bring up an interesting option: get Internet SiriusXM for a month, and then cancel. Would be cheaper. Although I hear the Android App leaves a lot to be desired.

StevenD - interesting. Was definitely not an option for me with Budget or Avis. They actually would charge $40 for Internet Radio for the rental.

Scott - that does bring up an interesting option: get Internet SiriusXM for a month, and then cancel. Would be cheaper. Although I hear the Android App leaves a lot to be desired.
While the app leaves a lot to be desired, it sounds a hell of a lot better then what they are sending you from the satellite. :)

Looks like I can get a free trial of the Internet Radio. I did a chat with them, and they estimated 94mb/hour for Android. I don't have unlimited data on my Verizon phone, so I need to consider my data usage. Does their estimate sound reasonable?

One of the (few to me) benefits of satellite radio is that you can't drive out of range of the transmitter. Well, you can, but you'd have to be driving far away from the satellite ground footprint. So, that 1000mi trip sounds ideal. However, depending upon provider and location, you could easily drive out of range of a cell tower and lose your music. Just a thought.

One of the (few to me) benefits of satellite radio is that you can't drive out of range of the transmitter. Well, you can, but you'd have to be driving far away from the satellite ground footprint. So, that 1000mi trip sounds ideal. However, depending upon provider and location, you could easily drive out of range of a cell tower and lose your music. Just a thought.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that as well. I'll call our Car Rental company, and see if it includes use of the SiriusXM radio, as SteveD has indicated has been the case of him (although I'm quite doubtful of this for my situation).

I haven't rented a car in awhile, but my experience is the same as StevenD; my Enterprise rental came with service.

I haven't rented a car in awhile, but my experience is the same as StevenD; my Enterprise rental came with service.

Interesting - I called Enterprise, and they do not charge extra to use the SiriusXM Radio, if the vehicle has one. Avis does charge for it. Guess in the future, I'll have to take this into consideration when I make my reservations. Can't switch for this one, as I got a really good rate through Costco for this trip.

Don

Update:

I just did an online chat with a SiriusXM rep, explained the situation, and she checked with her supervisor, and in less than a minute, they said they would waive the fee on both ends, so it will end up costing me nothing.

I'm impressed. Online chats usually get me nowhere, regardless of the company involved. I'll have to give SiriusXM some major credit here.

Don

I must say, Enterprise is an honorable company. Look into why they have their name...

I must say, Enterprise is an honorable company. Look into why they have their name...

Interesting - found this on their website's company timeline, 1969:

We renamed Executive Leasing to "Enterprise". This name is chosen in honor of the U.S.S. Enterprise aircraft carrier which Jack Taylor served on in World War II as a decorated fighter pilot.

So it wasn't from Kirk's Enterprise? Who knew?? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)