Any way to get a PS3 lower than $499 at this point?

And you know there is a 40 GB model for $399, right?

Keep your eyes open - most stores are doing some kind of bundle where they're giving extra stuff with the systems and/or giving gift cards back. You won't get the price lower, but you can get extra stuff - some of which you could sell if you didn't want it.

And you know there is a 40 GB model for $399, right?

Keep your eyes open - most stores are doing some kind of bundle where they're giving extra stuff with the systems and/or giving gift cards back. You won't get the price lower, but you can get extra stuff - some of which you could sell if you didn't want it.
Yes and if you order it from sony right now on the CC they knock off 100 bucks and give you an extra controller and free shipping.

I actually was looking at the 80GB. Best buy has it for $499.

For those PS3 experts what is the hard disk use for besides saving games. I could go for a 40G but I don't want to regret that I did not get the 80GB later on if I need more space.

For those PS3 experts what is the hard disk use for besides saving games. I could go for a 40G but I don't want to regret that I did not get the 80GB later on if I need more space.

Everyone has it for $499. The price won't change at different stores, but the "bundle" deal might.

My HD is full of downloaded demos, mostly. Also some movie trailers and game behind-the-scenes videos, but those don't take up much space. You can also "rip" CD's and store photos, videos, etc on it if you want to, but since you can pull those things off of your PC if it's set up correctly, there's not much point in it.

I have the 60 GB, and the least amount of remaining HD space I've had is about 27 GB, and that was with 15+ demos downloaded and installed, probably 10 trailers and a couple of CD's, plus all of the game data from the 8 BD games I have.

You're probably ok with the 40 GB model unless you want backwards compatibility (if you do, try to find a 60 GB somewhere) or don't want to have to delete anything. If you don't mind deleting a 3-month-old demo to download a new one, 40 is probably enough.

ok. I see that if you apply for the cc you get $100 off so the 80GB comes out to $399. Not a bad deal. plus you get the 5 b-r movies and second controller for free. Are these controller wireless?

And if you really get in trouble at some point, you can upgrade the HD - it is a standard laptop-sized unit. Of course, you'd have to redownload all of the stuff you had on the first one.... but it is an option.

ok. I see that if you apply for the cc you get $100 off so the 80GB comes out to $399. Not a bad deal. plus you get the 5 b-r movies and second controller for free. Are these controller wireless?

Yes. All PS3 controllers are wireless. Only need the USB cable for charging, but you can play for a long time (5-6 hours at least) without charging.

Ok. my son who I am buying the game console for has a bunch of ps2 discs. The 40GB is not backward compatible? The 60 and 80GB are?

60 GB has full (more or less), hardware-based backwards compatibility.

80 GB has some software-based backwards compatibility.

40 GB has NO backwards compatibility of any kind.

Of course, he could still play the old games on the PS2, but the PS3 does a nice job of upconverting them, if you're using an HD set for it...

If you definitely want the BC, go to the Playstation support site and check to see if the games he has are supported by the 80 GB model. I'll try to find the link and post it here...

EDIT: Here you go: PlayStation.com

This is the reason I specifically got the 60GB model. This way if there's a PS2 game I want to get, I won't have any issues. :)

I got the 60GB for $499 in Sept.

This is the reason I specifically got the 60GB model. This way if there's a PS2 game I want to get, I won't have any issues. :)

I got the 60GB for $499 in Sept.

I've seen a few lying around, but they're getting pretty hard to come by now - anyone that wanted BC is snapping them up.

Newegg has it for $499.99, but if you pay by Paypal, you get 20% refund (up to $50 max). It is part of the Paypal's promotion. With $50 refund, it will bring it down to $449.99. Shipping is like $12 though.

Sonystyle PS3 are all backordered.

Has anyone successfully used a PS1 disc on their 40Gb PS3? My understanding was that there is no BC for PS2, but some BC for PS1 games on the 40Gb. My girlfriend has a bunch of old PS1 games in deep storage, so I want to see if it's worth having her dig them out.
Thanks!

As i've said in every PS3 thread, check Craigslist :)

Only downside is if the 5 free movies are available or not. For some, you'll even have them already redeemed and bundled in with their offer. But that just takes a phone call and/or an email to find out.

Some Vegas PS3s for example:

Completely new PS3 60 GB in retail box - 2 games 2 controllers $395

PS3 60G - 1 game 1 controller $400

6o gig ps3 with godfather game With Godfather $400

As i've said in every PS3 thread, check Craigslist :)

Only downside is if the 5 free movies are available or not. For some, you'll even have them already redeemed and bundled in with their offer. But that just takes a phone call and/or an email to find out.

Some Vegas PS3s for example:

Completely new PS3 60 GB in retail box - 2 games 2 controllers $395

PS3 60G - 1 game 1 controller $400

6o gig ps3 with godfather game With Godfather $400

I have a little bit of a problem with the "Completely New with 2 games and 2 controllers listing" - I'm guessing he didn't just have the system laying around with two controllers and two games all this time...

But apart from that, they seem to be decent deals.

There are plenty of demos, previews of both games and movies and BDs coming out that you can download for free from the Playstation Nation. And once you start putting differant media like music, mp3s or pictures you will be glad to have the largest harddrive you can get (you can always change drives out yourself.) I just took video w/audio of my grandson this Thanksgiving (on a 4gb card-gives me 2 hours of video) and it plays better on the PS3 then it does in the camera. My harddrive gets plenty of use. Yours probably will too if you buy the 80gb model.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts