anybody with a pre-wire house for cable and sat???

aztec

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
hello everyone,firstable congrats for the great forum.
I just bought a brand new house, according to the bulder is
pre-wired for satellite and cable and security (by circuit city), i am trying to do my own installation so i can avoid the 145 dlls charge.
there are 4 connections for cable (room 1-2-3 plus living room).
on one side of the house there are 3 wires sticking out, 2 look like coaxial cable and the other one is blue i guess is the security, there is no box,plate or anything else.
i have a quad lnb, so waht is the best way to do this without drilling holes to get the cables into the house????
i heard that dish network installs a box outside ,then they connect all the feds from the sat in that box.
i was wondering where can i get a similar box to the ones DN installs.
oh by the way there is a big box from circuit city inside one of the closets,they told me they run the cable from there.
well hopelly i made sense and thanks in advance.
if i allowed to upload pictures of the wires and box i will...thanks.

Welcome. We need more information. What receivers are you trying to install and where? What programming are you planning to purchase? If your intended configuration requires a switch, that could indeed be set outside the house, but 2 cables coming back in would probably limit you to 2 2-tuner receivers at best. However that would be enough for 4 rooms watching separate channels, and a mix of HD and SD programming.

The 'blue' cable you mentioned sounds like a Cat. 5 data cable, which could be very useful. What is inside it?

thanks a lot for your help, i just want to get a basic installation with one receiver in the living room and one in the master bedroom, i will be using regular Dish Network DP 301 Receivers,eventually once i get the rest of the house appliances i will get a HD receiver and tv.
as far as the programming i most interested on Americas top 200 + HBO's.
the blue cable has 5 colored (blue-red-green-bk-white) little cables
inside.
My main concern is not to drill any holes into the house.

The cable runs from all of your rooms should terminate in the 'box in the closet'. The two feeds from outside should also terminate in the closet and be labeled 'feed'. The lines to the individual rooms may or may not be labeled. If you are only looking to set up 2 rooms you will need to connect the two 'feed' lines to your dish and connect the other end of them to the two lines that go to the rooms you want your receivers in.

my house was prewired for both with 4 wires going up into attic for the satellite and then cables going down to outside comm box for cable. the central point was inside the master closet, and many rooms were wired for two coaxs so there could be live cable and satellite simultaneously. builder used black cables for cable, white cables for satellite. I was also looking for a plate or something but they dead ended in a rolled up loop of wires at one of the attic entries from inside the house ( if you have a couple points of entry into the attic look at all of them) some house wire it outside to a specific spot on the roof b/c that is where the builder has decided is the best place for the dish apparently. as far as getting the wires through the house outside without making a hole, there was a special hole they made with some flap or something to let the cables out from the attic in my house. i would not have been able to find it if i hadn't spoken with the company who handled the low voltage work (wiring)

I'm a dish installer, just got really confused by what you've told me..

You said you have a quad lnb and you're going to do a self installation...
You have a dish, site tool, meter for lining up correct sat?

the reason I ask is that it seems for a self install you don't really know to much about SAT systems..
Dish does the install at no charge, when you call them it's going to be a 49.95 charge no matter what...
unless you have really bad credit or no social security # (dishnow)

It would save you 5.00 dollars per month to get a 322..

3 coax sticking out of the outside wall?

Put the dish up.. run the duel coax and place a ground block right there where the external cables are. Cover that with a cable box or something if you wanted to, but dish will not install anything there. just locate which lines go where with your pre-wire.
i give up already.
lol
.. hard to really explain what would have to be done not understanding your setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)