Anyone Just Getting NPS Service ?

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 3, 2006
Are you sure that NPS usage doesn't have DVR or 2nd receiver fees? I am currently "SkyAngel only" (well I was, until I got locals for footbal season). I still have a bill of about $20 to Dish, with no Dish programming (beyond the "free" public interest channels - those were not initially present). The bill is around $25/month with Dallas locals. I own two 522 units.

I would assume it would be similar with NPS. Dominion (who provides SkyAngel) is a separate/competing company to Dish, though they share 61.5 and the equipment.

Brad

I have a DVR (#625) and two single tuner SD receivers , with the same cost as just one single tuner receiver.
Why should it cost anymore anyway? We have got to the point where we expect to get hosed by everyone I guess.

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
I have a DVR (#625) and two single tuner SD receivers , with the same cost as just one single tuner receiver.
Why should it cost anymore anyway? We have got to the point where we expect to get hosed by everyone I guess.

It is the "because we can fee". I agree that it shouldn't cost more, but I like the second DVR receiver enough that I am willing to pay the fee, though it does seem odd to have to pay when I fall back to no Dish programming. I would give up the public interest channels to pass up the key.

Brad

mikeytay61

Dec 17, 2006
Lost San Fran Feed this evening

We were watching the Golden Globes when we lost all the San Francisco channels... am hoping it's a hickup.

daveh69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 18, 2005
Did I miss it? Excuse the post if so...

Is it possible to use, say, an 811, that was previously active with Dish just for the dns? Or does the box have to have some sort of basic Dish sub?

Thanks in advance!

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
Maybe!

The answer is that you can get distant networks without any DISH network subscription.

I would be interested in validation of this. Dominion, providers of SkyAngel, is separate from Dish, but I still have Dish fees.

Though perhaps having a non-DVR and only a single receiver would avoid those fees.

Brad

daveh69

Mar 18, 2005
Allllrightttttttie....... I found I was elible for all 4, did the S number (from the deactivated 811) they asked for, put in a valid Visa...

What should I expect next?

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 3, 2006
Allllrightttttttie....... I found I was elible for all 4, did the S number (from the deactivated 811) they asked for, put in a valid Visa...

What should I expect next?

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Identity theft!

:D Just kidding. You should be ok. Probably have everything on the weekend.

technoguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 30, 2005
Puerto Rico
Anybody else or just only me?
I came night from work yesterday and I found they uplink and gave me the DNS without any request by my part,Any body else found this?

daveh69

Mar 18, 2005
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Identity theft!

:D Just kidding. You should be ok. Probably have everything on the weekend.

Ah!!! So that would explain the sudden purchases on the same Visa card I used... hum... hehe hehe if anyone reading did not realize I was kidding until the "hehe" part, then pls pm me, I have some land in Florida for sale!

johnnytuinals

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 14, 2005
Poconos
Its funny NPS is charging me $7.50 a month for the SF and Atlanta stations....
Cannot believe it was sooo easy to get the distants with a little homework...
You can get the distants without any service with dish......JT

djp

Dec 4, 2006
$5 Dish Charge to get All American Direct Distants?

I just cancelled Dish programming on a 301 that I had previously used to subscribe to both Dish and All American Direct/NPS distants. The Dish CSR told me that even though I wanted to get just NPS, I would have to pay a $5 per month fee to Dish to keep the receiver active on their system. Has anyone else run into this?

As I inidcated in an earlier post, I had no success in getting NPS distants until I subscribed to a Dish package. Within minutes of signing the receiver up with Dish, I had the Dish package and NPS. So, it appears that even if you want just NPS, you have to pay NPS $9 (to get all four networks) and Dish $5 (to keep the receiver active on their system), for a total of $14 a month to get just the distant networks.

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
If you end up paying Dish anway, you might want to get the public interest channels added as well. I had to have a tech support person do it though. I originally contacted a "normal" customer support person who said it was not possible. The tech support lady got it setup quickly.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts