Anyone Order a iPhone 4 yet?

AT&T is sold out... Apple is not. I was able to get one, but I need to go to the Apple store and pick it up.

On the Mac Rumor site they are stating that the IPHONES that apple is suppose to reserve for in store pick up are nothing more than first come first served wait in line can of thing. If this is true than I may become and Andorid fan and leave APPLE and ATT for good. I hope that Apple will have the IPHONE available for folks who reserved them.

On the Mac Rumor site they are stating that the IPHONES that apple is suppose to reserve for in store pick up are nothing more than first come first served wait in line can of thing. If this is true than I may become and Andorid fan and leave APPLE and ATT for good. I hope that Apple will have the IPHONE available for folks who reserved them.

The confirmation I received from Apple does contain this disclaimer:
"Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

So, I don't really understand the significance of this pre-authorization. However, I am not so concerned abot the Apple store running out of phones on the first day. I am more concerned about spending too much time in line to get there... on a business day. ;)

The confirmation I received from Apple does contain this disclaimer:
"Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

However, I am not so concerned abot the Apple store running out of phones on the first day. I am more concerned about spending too much time in line to get there... on a business day. ;)

Why even go through the pre-authorization if it does not guarantee a iPhone. There are going to be a lot of upset people come release day.

I think it just helps them to speed-up the sales process: all information is pre-entered, so they can process it faster. :D

After trying all day I finally was able to order the phone via Apple.com. I know AT&T has sold out of their preorder allotment for day one but supposedly if you pre ordered (not reserve) from Apple.com you'll get delivery on the 24th.

In general, I think the 2-year upgrade cycle makes a lot of sense for most people. If yor phone is just a year old, skip this one and wait for the next year's model: there is always something better around the corner! But if your current phone is 2 or 3 years old (like mine ;)) then this iPhone 4 is a good choice as an upgrade.
That is a good point. If I had the 2G or maybe even the 3G, I may upgrade. Having a 3Gs, and there not being much difference between the 3Gs with 4.0 OS and 4G with 4.0 OS, it is just not worth the few extra features and upgrades.

Maybe next year they will have the 4Gs? :p

Well I just ordered it from the online apple store with delivery on the 24th.

I was not planning on ordering one, but they gave me the 32GB for $299 even through I have not even had my 3Gs for a year (July something or other last year is when I got it). I think with my corporate plan I actually qualify every year. I debated on it, but with places buying the 3GS for $200, I figured it would be worth it.

The congestion appears to be cleared on the apple online store now, probably because most the ATT and Apple stores are probably closed for the night and the load is down.

Maybe next year they will have the 4Gs? :p

Well this model is called iPhone 4 and not iPhone 4G. It's assumed that next year's model will actually be name iPhone 4G since AT&T is expected to start having a 4G network next year. The G in the 2G and 3G names of the older models was for the network speed, not the generation of iPhone.

A) AT&T says that "Pre-orders for iPhone temporarily suspended" when I tried a half-hour ago (and before reading this thread). I tried the Apple store first around 5 Eastern, but accessing my account at AT&T caused the web session to hang.

When I tried an hour ago, Apple says that they cannot send me an iPhone 4 (I don't have one currently) but I need to stop by a store to get my account set up. The problem with that is I'm located almost equidistant to Chicago, Indianapolis, and Grand Rapids, MI. Of those, Grand Rapids is probably the quickest Apple store at two hours away.

Well I just ordered it from the online apple store with delivery on the 24th.

I was not planning on ordering one, but they gave me the 32GB for $299 even through I have not even had my 3Gs for a year (July something or other last year is when I got it). I think with my corporate plan I actually qualify every year. I debated on it, but with places buying the 3GS for $200, I figured it would be worth it.

A quote about existing iPhone users being able to upgrade early.

CNET: Let's say I already have an iPhone, but I still am on a contract for my previous iPhone. When am I able to upgrade to the iPhone 4 for the discounted price?

Siegel: iPhone customers eligible for an upgrade between now and the end of the year can get the discounted price on the device. We've accelerated upgrade eligibility for iPhone customers so they can experience the new device as soon as possible

Source.

The ship date on new preorders late last night and the morning was July 2nd. That's now July 14th. The preorders are through the roof. Apple announce this morning that it did 600,000 preorders yesterday. It looks like the pace hasn't slowdown yet.

I wonder what this means for the AT&T stores? Preorders are already backed up. So, what are the chances the local AT&T stores will have any for walk ins to pick up on the 24th?

The ship date on new preorders late last night and the morning was July 2nd. That's now July 14th. The preorders are through the roof. Apple announce this morning that it did 600,000 preorders yesterday. It looks like the pace hasn't slowdown yet.

I wonder when the mass exodus from AT&T is supposed to start? Wasn't the iPhone supposed to be killed by the Android by now?
:)

I think the biggest draw of the iphone 4 is the front camera and video conferencing. However, I have to ask- If simple iphone orders bring AT&T to its knees, how the heck are they going to handle the load of video conferencing? I can see it now- The system is temporarily down, due to traffic volume, please try your call again later, like February 29.:p

I think the biggest draw of the iphone 4 is the front camera and video conferencing. However, I have to ask- If simple iphone orders bring AT&T to its knees, how the heck are they going to handle the load of video conferencing? I can see it now- The system is temporarily down, due to traffic volume, please try your call again later, like February 29.:p

At this point the "Facetime" video calling is Wifi only. It was mentioned that probably some time next year it would be done via the cell data. IMO Facetime will be restricted until 4G data network.