Anyone tried these newfangle antennas?

yeah they've been on ebay for a few years

the new 2013 model now claims 150 miles...well damn I should be able to get LaCrosse, EauClaire, Rochester no problems now :rolleyes:

It's not new and it's not fangled, ... it's crap.

hehehe well it does have the 21st century look.

I'm kind of looking for mainly a vhf antenna to try and pick up WJHL in Johnson City.Currently have a 4 bay uhf antenna and get most all the Charlotte locals great as we are at nearly 4000' elevation.That said there are still several peaks higher than us.Both WCYB and WJHL are vhf but,they are actually closer than Cha.I don't want to waste any money on something that most likely won't work.Oh and I have a antenna craft high gain booster.Back during the analog days could get WCYB pretty good with a rat shack mid range antenna but never had much luck with WJHL.They both broadcast from the same tower though at least they do now.Here is my tv fool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e7799173c9250a

I'm sure it works just as well as a bent coat hanger. Well, almost, anyway.

ANY modern, new fangled fancy looking antenna is junk. ANY claim of much over 65 miles is a sure indicator of bogus marketing.

Antenna technology is pretty mature. I had a StealthTenna at a previous home, and it worked pretty good, for the location I was in. It is about as fancy looking as I'd take a chance on.

Looking at your tvfool, I'd say you can write off getting Fox. Aw shucks, right? If you can live without ABC (& Fox) you MIGHT get by with an indoor antenna, or a modest outdoor one. But considering the different directions, I'd really suggest getting a good UHF/VHF (you'll need both) outdoor antenna on a rotor. And 5 to 10 feet above your 2nd floor roofline would be best.

It's just a one time expense, so don't scrimp too much. You will be living with it for many, many years. You don't want to regret not spending another 30 bucks on a better antenna.

Best of luck to you, and please let us know what you choose to do, and how well it works out for you.

I'm sure it works just as well as a bent coat hanger. Well, almost, anyway.

ANY modern, new fangled fancy looking antenna is junk. ANY claim of much over 65 miles is a sure indicator of bogus marketing.

Antenna technology is pretty mature. I had a StealthTenna at a previous home, and it worked pretty good, for the location I was in. It is about as fancy looking as I'd take a chance on.

Looking at your tvfool, I'd say you can write off getting Fox. Aw shucks, right? If you can live without ABC (& Fox) you MIGHT get by with an indoor antenna, or a modest outdoor one. But considering the different directions, I'd really suggest getting a good UHF/VHF (you'll need both) outdoor antenna on a rotor. And 5 to 10 feet above your 2nd floor roofline would be best.

It's just a one time expense, so don't scrimp too much. You will be living with it for many, many years. You don't want to regret not spending another 30 bucks on a better antenna.

Best of luck to you, and please let us know what you choose to do, and how well it works out for you.

See that's the weird part navychop.I already get all the networks out of Charlotte NC,some show over 90mi distance according to tvfool.I also get WGHP out of High point and its over 100mi.All this with a simple 4 bay uhf antenna,rotor and amp.Besides WUNE which is just over the hill from us,WBTV and WSOC are 2 of the strongest signal channels here.70-75 percent most of the time.What throws me off now is the VHF part.Used to vhf was stronger than uhf here,now since the digital change it appears to be the opposite.I have read quite a few complaints about the weak signals of the vhf channels.I would like to get WJHL to catch a few extra Tn.Titan games.Where I get confused is the power output of VHF vs UHF,and what is the 1edge 2 edge stuff?

Oh and here is another sort of strange thing,used to get WEMT 39 analog very good,now with the digital change over can't even get a blip.That's why I wonder about WJHL and WCYB.

yeah they've been on ebay for a few years

the new 2013 model now claims 150 miles...well damn I should be able to get LaCrosse, EauClaire, Rochester no problems now :rolleyes:

They just forget to tell you that it needs to be installed on a 6,000 foot tower. Otherwise it's JUNK!!!

Teehar I've got a clear shot to the wcyb & wjhl towers, no more than 7 or 8 miles. My signal on wcyb is 65 & wjhl is 70. They are both vhf. Prior to the switch they were both broadcasting temporary uhf signals & they were great. Many folks lost them after the switch. Wkpt is 88% on uhf & the recent move of the wemt tower to Holston mountain now has my signal at 97% it is uhf also. Vhf definitely isn't the same animal it used to be.

See that's the weird part navychop.I already get all the networks out of Charlotte NC,some show over 90mi distance according to tvfool.I also get WGHP out of High point and its over 100mi.All this with a simple 4 bay uhf antenna,rotor and amp.Besides WUNE which is just over the hill from us,WBTV and WSOC are 2 of the strongest signal channels here.70-75 percent most of the time.What throws me off now is the VHF part.Used to vhf was stronger than uhf here,now since the digital change it appears to be the opposite.I have read quite a few complaints about the weak signals of the vhf channels.I would like to get WJHL to catch a few extra Tn.Titan games.
correct. The FCC in their infinite wisdom said OK UHF stations can be on digital at 1 million watts max...which is 1/5 the power they were on analog (5 million watts)
VHF use to be 100,000 watts (2-6) and 316000 watts (7-13) max...but the FCC thought that 20,000 watts on VHF Hi (7-13) would be sufficient...yeah right. Hence the issues.

Where I get confused is the power output of VHF vs UHF,and what is the 1edge 2 edge stuff?
This indicates the path travelled by the signal to get from the transmitter to your location.

LOS: Line-of-sight
1Edge: Single edge diffraction
2Edge: Double edge diffraction
Tropo: Tropospheric scatter

Oh and here is another sort of strange thing,used to get WEMT 39 analog very good,now with the digital change over can't even get a blip.That's why I wonder about WJHL and WCYB.
the issue with WCYB is they went back to their old analog spot of 5. VHF Low has some major interference issues but apparently the stations in Kentucky and Tennessee on 5 (WMC Memphis, Nashville 5 and WCYB) decided against that and all went back to their old analog spot. Normally only VHF Hi (7-13) did. So if you want both of those VHF stations you need to get a big VHF antenna that does VHF Low and Hi. Most new antennas do just 7-13 which makes them compact.

They make VHF Low (2-6) only antennas and VHF Hi (7-13) only antennas but I can't find on solid signal just a straight 2-13 antenna. Anything with VHF Low end up being these old monster antennas

edit: found a VHF only antenna...
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...tenna-(HD5030)&c=TV Antennas&sku=615798398156

For the vhf channels I use this........http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...Htenna-TV-Antenna-(CM3010)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

Uhf..........................http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ie-UHF-TV-Antenna-(CM4228)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

I added the vhf antenna after the switch, didn't want to do away with the uhf so I installed a uhf/vhf combiner.

Up where you are at I think the only remote chance you have is something like this................http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...Series-TV-Antenna-(CM3671)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

also both of those stations have petitions to go UHF but the FCC hasnt acted on it yet. Looks like it may be translator stations to cover their immediate area

WCYB on 29
WJHL on 28

what about the one I linked to if he just wants to add VHF to the existing UHF antenna?

Oh yeah that's pretty sweet for vhf only. I was replying before I read your post.

I can't remember 100% for sure but I want to say prior to the switch wjhl was broadcasting on uhf 58 & wcyb on uhf 28. Signals were great. That is an interesting point you noted on the fcc filings, I didn't know that.

Awesome help iceberg and stargazer thanks!

I had read about the petition to go to uhf gosh must have been 2yrs ago,figured it would have been resolved by now.I actually did have wcyb for a month or so just prior to them going back to vhf lo.The same thing happened with WGHP they went back to 8 and had terrible issues.I believe they have a temporary grant to run on both 35 and 8.Wlos in Asheville is another channel that screwed up.Lots of folks can no longer get that channel.I'll take a gander at those antennas you linked to.Thanks again!

Teehar
note the antenna I posted in post 17 (right above your post) is a VHF Hi only antenna....that wont get WCYB. I was just posting the antenna I use to get a VHF station in the opposite direction of the Minneapolis stations ;)

Teehar
note the antenna I posted in post 17 (right above your post) is a VHF Hi only antenna....that wont get WCYB. I was just posting the antenna I use to get a VHF station in the opposite direction of the Minneapolis stations ;)

Yep dually noted.;) I think I'm going to be my typical frugal self and go with the 16.99 antennacraft .

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...F-FM-HD-TV-Antenna-(CS600)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

Try it with my booster just to see if I can get a blip of WJHL or WCYB.At least I won't have much invested if it doesn't work,if it somewhat works I can move up the line.May have to get a tv tuner for the lappy and do some walking,there are definitely hot and cold spots here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)