Apple Announces new iPhone 5

They're moving to a new smaller proprietary connector, and not providing specs ahead of the release so that they can be the exclusive provider of docks for a time before other accessory makers catch up (and/or generate revenue from licensing the right)

iPhone5: Now with lower resolution than top tier Android phones... Somehow I doubt they'll trumpet that in ads :D

Edit:
Nice engineering on the LTE side to minimize parts.

From Gizmodo: "Claiming 8 hours 3G talk, 225 hours standby, 10 hours wi-fi browsing, 8 hours LTE browsing."

I know my wife will be getting one (I'm sticking with Android), and is ticked that all of her cases won't fit anymore. Not really different than Android btw, just a comment about my wife's perspective.

New connector is called Lightning. Complements the Thunderbolt connecter the Mac uses now. Apple will have an adapter for existing accessories.

Guess it is time to finally upgrade my 3g. My big question is what happens to my unlimited data. Granted, from what I understand, they now throttle us at a certain point, but I'd rather throttling than overage charges. LTE will let us eat up a lot more data.

The naming implies it's a Thunderbolt interface, don't know if that's true or not. Doesn't matter, as the transfer speeds are going to be limited by the underlying hardware.

That's not a knock, right now, Thunderbolt is ahead of most computers and peripherals in the ability to transfer data so we'll have a few years to "grow" into the available bandwidth.

I know my wife will be getting one (I'm sticking with Android), and is ticked that all of her cases won't fit anymore. Not really different than Android btw, just a comment about my wife's perspective.

They have alwya modified the size and/or the position of cameras/speakers etc enough to make cases unreusable after an update.

It would have been cool if Apple had made the new connector a Thunderbolt connector since it's already out there.

Clock Widget

Creepy Android malware jumps from your phone to your PC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)