Apple Announces new iPhone 5

Still showing "order processing" since Sunday. Not really sure what I expect it to say since it should not ship for a while, but is that normal?

And no, NFC is not a big deal for me. I have had it on a couple of phones recently, and have never used it.

Still showing "order processing" since Sunday. Not really sure what I expect it to say since it should not ship for a while, but is that normal?

I ordered mine the first day although I did not make the first batch. For me it showed "order processing" until I got the shipping notification. I think it shipped about a week later.

I too don't care about the lack of NFC.

You might need to get medicine for that itch to make it through the next few weeks. If you had pre-ordered like the rest of us, you would have had it a month ago, and gotten your fix. :D

NFC? Nope, can't even spell it. :)

LTE? Nope, getting adequate throughput at 5-8mbs.
Thats better than when at home on my DSL.

I'm more interested in upgrading from this used 4 to a used 4S.
Next year I might look at a used 5, if any survive the hip pockets of today's teenagers. :)
I'm sure they'll be all scuffed to hell, regardless. ;)

While NFC isn't an issue with me (or apparently most of the or the iPhone 5 owners here) I understand some of the features about that would create some "I wish my phone did that" moments. For example, placing an NFC tag in your car that lets your phone "know" that it should disable Wi-Fi, enable Bluetooth, and connect to your car's stereo, perhaps starting to play your Driving Music playlist. Or, if you are tracking your food consumption, you could tap your phone to, say a box of cereal or packaged meal to enter the nutritional information into your tracking app. If you like watching videos while on your exercise bike, you could place a tag on the place you put your phone and the phone would launch your Sling Adapter app. The possibilities are seemingly endless.

While NFC isn't an issue with me (or apparently most of the or the iPhone 5 owners here) I understand some of the features about that would create some "I wish my phone did that" moments. For example, placing an NFC tag in your car that lets your phone "know" that it should disable Wi-Fi, enable Bluetooth, and connect to your car's stereo, perhaps starting to play your Driving Music playlist. Or, if you are tracking your food consumption, you could tap your phone to, say a box of cereal or packaged meal to enter the nutritional information into your tracking app. If you like watching videos while on your exercise bike, you could place a tag on the place you put your phone and the phone would launch your Sling Adapter app. The possibilities are seemingly endless.

Thanks Roland. I can defntely see the benefits of that.

...The (NFC) possibilities are seemingly endless.
Yeah, that's what prompted my query. And within the lifetime (or contract duration) of any phone that has the capability some of those applications might become strong (widely adopted) realities. I'd be looking for tags that see me coming into the house and start the "I'm home" routine: lights on, alarm system off, t-stat reset, HT on, etc. Might even trigger the 'bot to bring me a cold one...! There are certainly other means to do many of these things. Tags seem to be a reliable and inexpensive answer to the above, and other questions that haven't even been asked yet...!

Too bad Apple didn't make the move with this latest iteration. The huge following might have been the push NFC needs to surge ahead and become that reality many are hoping for. Without that, how soon will NFC possibilities become mainstream? Maybe I'll wait this one out...

Last edited:
I'm sure that's how many/most feel. However, I don't upgrade as soon as my contract expires. I had my previous phone almost 8 years, replaced with a similar one only when it "had an accident". To be sure technology changes rapidly. My needs don't. One thing causing me to consider moving up now is that my current phone (tri-band on GSM) doesn't work well at all in my "new" office area whereas those with 3G seem to have almost 100% reliable service, as does my iPad. I don't want to lock myself out of something that might become quite valuable in the next couple of years let alone 3-5, and right now (lack of) NFC is giving me pause...

What a crock of #$%% -- the Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter arrived. The actual lightning cable has a sheath around the actual connector, so it can work with an iPhone 5 in a case. This one, doesn't have that, and just has the adapter directly out of the 30-pin connector, and DOES NOT work with the iPhone 5 in even the smallest of cases. Total b.s.

I will be returning it. And thus my two stereo docks (home and office) remain un-usable with the iPhone 5. I swear I do not understand the logic of these people sometimes. Create an adapter enable you to use old 30-pin connectors, and docks, but then make it unusable for anything except a "naked" iphone.

GRRR....

Notice that there's NO 12V power adapter for the iPhone 5? I did, as I ordered a hundred dollars worth of accessories.

Sure, you can buy a 12v adapter AND a USB adapter - but how much money do I want to bleed?

Thankfully, my Jetta has a 120v output. I've grown quite fond of that feature.

I have a USB port on my JVC car radio (after-market), and I bought a lightning cable for the car, it works great. Charges, plays music via usb, and the radio has bluetooth so I can do hands-free calling and listen to BT Audio if I choose.

BUT I am still shaking my head about the decision Apple makes. They know full well people use cases. They made the lightning cable so it has that sheath and enables you to plug in with it on, but they then made this 30-pin adapter that won't accomplish the same thing. GMAB.

Apple is taking a turn that I don't like. The feel of putting out the best now feels like a money grab by Apple. And in some areas the quality is not the same. My new Macbook Pro with Retina display is having issues, the PowerNap feature does not work at all. The Q A and S buttons on the laptop are sticking. I took it to Apple and the genius said that if you push hard on the buttons they still work. Bring it back if the keys stop working or if more keys stick. (What?) I have Applecare on the unit. that was not the answer I was looking for... but they were busy and I went in there without an appointment.

Apple says it cares about the environment yet they just made millions of devices such as docks and cables useless by this move to the smaller connector. If Apple cared they would be offering these converters for a low cost not $30 each... even if they took a loss on them they should be making them available so people can still use their devices they paid good money for.

When watching one of these Apple press events its almost like watching a joke especially when they say crap like "This new iPhone is our best iPhone yet!" well no sh!t, do you think they would make one that was worse then the last iPhone?

Even though their stock may not show it I am starting to believe that this could be the start of the decline of Apple as we know it.

Apple is taking a turn that I don't like. The feel of putting out the best now feels like a money grab by Apple. And in some areas the quality is not the same. My new Macbook Pro with Retina display is having issues, the PowerNap feature does not work at all. The Q A and S buttons on the laptop are sticking. I took it to Apple and the genius said that if you push hard on the buttons they still work. Bring it back if the keys stop working or if more keys stick. (What?) I have Applecare on the unit. that was not the answer I was looking for... but they were busy and I went in there without an appointment.

Apple says it cares about the environment yet they just made millions of devices such as docks and cables useless by this move to the smaller connector. If Apple cared they would be offering these converters for a low cost not $30 each... even if they took a loss on them they should be making them available so people can still use their devices they paid good money for.

When watching one of these Apple press events its almost like watching a joke especially when they say crap like "This new iPhone is our best iPhone yet!" well no sh!t, do you think they would make one that was worse then the last iPhone?

Even though their stock may not show it I am starting to believe that this could be the start of the decline of Apple as we know it.

All I know is if you are going to make an adapter, and charge $30 for the darn thing, MAKE IT WORK with devices as people use them IN THE REAL WORLD. :)

Notice that there's NO 12V power adapter for the iPhone 5? I did, as I ordered a hundred dollars worth of accessories.

Sure, you can buy a 12v adapter AND a USB adapter - but how much money do I want to bleed?

Thankfully, my Jetta has a 120v output. I've grown quite fond of that feature.
Last December, I got home & car USB chargers.
About $3.50 the pair, SHIPped!
USB to 30-pin cables were under a buck each.
I even posted a review naming the vendor I bought from (Eforcecity).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041F8U8Y/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=ox_ya_os_product

That has always been the case.

Boy whata turn of events. The next thing you know Poke will start criticizing Microsoft.

Clock Widget

Creepy Android malware jumps from your phone to your PC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts