Arcam

I saw this somewhere else, but it's a good question. Will an amp..without onboard TrueHD decoding, pass on TrueHD, if the BR player has onboard decoding?

A guy I work with, has an Arcam that sounds great, but his BR doesn't decode TrueHD, so he doesn't hear it. I might like an Arcam, if I could put a BR player with decoding on it.

They really sound good.

Arcams do sound nice. The arcam will accept the multichannel pcm decoded by the player. Unless things have changed, they do not accept audio over HDMI, only video. You would have to have analog outs. They also do not upconvert Component to HDMI. You would need separate outs.

S~

Arcams do sound nice. The arcam will accept the multichannel pcm decoded by the player. Unless things have changed, they do not accept audio over HDMI, only video. You would have to have analog outs. They also do not upconvert Component to HDMI. You would need separate outs.

S~

What if I used the "Digital Coax" out and just used HDMI for video?

You won't get advanced audio using the digital coax. You need to use either analog outs or a pre/pro with HDmI that accepts audio.

S~

Is the answer the same with Digital Optical?

Or asked more simply: Is there ANY way to hear TrueHD out of an Arcam 280?

Thanks teachsac!

Last edited:
Is the answer the same with Digital Optical?

Or asked more simply: Is there ANY way to hear TrueHD out of an Arcam 280?

Thanks teachsac!

Yes, using the analog inputs. Most Blu-ray players have at least 5.1 analog outs. If you are looking for a receiver above the B&M Denon, Pioneer, etc., the Rotel receivers accept Multichanel PCM over HDMI (1.1). Or if you want something really nice, the Lexicon.

S~

Yes, using the analog inputs. Most Blu-ray players have at least 5.1 analog outs. If you are looking for a receiver above the B&M Denon, Pioneer, etc., the Rotel receivers accept Multichanel PCM over HDMI (1.1). Or if you want something really nice, the Lexicon.

S~

Would that be something like the SACD players that had "a" plug per channel output? Are there br players that have that?

S~

In between Rotel and Lexicon is Anthem. They have pre/pro's that accept PCM 5.1. Cambridge Audio has receivers that accept analog 7.1.

Arcam? Niiiice, but too rich for my blood.

Here's the master list of Blu-Ray players.

Master List Of Blu-ray Players

Most of the current standalones (except Sony, Panasonic and Philips :rolleyes:) will decode TrueHD and send it out of multichannel analog ports.

IMHO, if you really need this wait for the Panasonic BD-50, so you can send DTS-HD MA out of your analog ports as well (in addition to Dolby TrueHD).

It's heavy!

The set-up was fairly easy and while I'm still fine tuning, it sounds amazing. We watched Across The Universe again last night, and there was a noticeable difference from the first time we watched last weekend.

The big thing was a more detailed seperation in the channels. Much more definition than my previous amp. Springsteen's new CD was awesome in two channel playback. I spent some time this afternoon listening to the radio station I work for. It sounds better here, than with all our stuff in our studios!

We're going to watch something noisey tomorrow and give it a good workout.

HDMI cable

TV time, need some input

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)