Archos DV500 WOW! (pers Vid recorder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
I wanted to put this in the FTA forum, since people there are looking for receivers with built in Personal Video recorders, but it belongs here.

I picked up an Archos DV 500 PVR (30 gig) and all I can say is for an early entry in this fast growing field...WOW. It is small, sturdy, and grorgeous. Records from ANY video source, even protected DVD's with the usual restrictions (plays back only on the Archos and cannot be copied to a PC (there are of course other ways!)

It has a user replaceable battery that is propriety but is the usual $50. It will record MP3 music as well and has upgradeable firmware too!
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SCREEN! (it is even flexible...have no idea how...and resists the normal type of smudges, other things that would easily scratch an IPOD etc.

I am going to take this on my next plane trip in a few weeks with the bose QC2 noise canceling headphones (forget the supplied earbuds...all earbuds can be dangerous anyway (too close to the eardrum)...IPOD WILL STAY HOME THIS TIME! Claims are 12 hrs of audio or 4.5 hrs of video!!!! Not too shabby and you can , again buy extra batteries which are formed into the case backing.

Negatives are (so far) the TV POD DOCK is a bit of a pain, but once set up it is fine...it also has a remote! (I never wanted a TIVO since I am against any recurring revenue model.) You won't believe what this thing will do...even can use the Yahoo TV for setting up a timed recording on the TV!!!! Good Night TIVO! THIS IS AN AMAZING DEVICE...BUT $500.

Consider a 30 gig ipod costs $300 + another $100 for dock, and AC charger, and case...now up to $400! The Archos comes with all of these stock (case is a bit puny IMHO). hell, it even has the "cool Factor":D

To see more...check out the Archos Web site!

Jeff

Last edited:
They are now, finally, offering rebates on their AV500 and AV700 models which are helping to drive the prices down...

I have the AV700 and love it!!

Yep

jbcheshire said:
They are now, finally, offering rebates on their AV500 and AV700 models which are helping to drive the prices down...

I have the AV700 and love it!!

Buy before 3/31 and...
$50 on the 30g 500 model
$150 on the 100gig 700 model!

had to google search to find them
Jeff

I would love to have one of these but they are a bit pricey right now. Seeing that this is a first generation product from Dish Network I expect to see price drops and further enhancements to the product such as more functionality and greater storage.

I decided to buy a Pocket Dish.....for Dish Network subscribers. It is made by Archos as well

After reading some interesting stuff on the Pub,( just joined today) my eyes opened to the possibility of mass storage on a computer without a need to burn DVDs...

I am officially off of my "DVD burning" Soapbox...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts