Are DigiCipher II channels free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rawmotion

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Los Angeles
I noticed that many channels on C band are DigiCipher II. I found a few receivers for sale that apparently support this. They're expensive. Are these channels free when using a DigiCipher II receiver? Or is there some type of access system built into the format (codes or keys or whatever)?

There might be a few of them broadcasting in fixed key mode, but not many.
You want a 4DTV if you're looking for DC2 stuff, thats the only rec they ever made for consumer use (or the 4dtv =sidecar, an addon for analog receivers, if you can find one)
Buying a used digicipher commercial descrambler prob wouldn't get you any more channels than the 4dtv-doubtful that anyone would sell a box that was still authorized to receive anything, and the programmers won't auth those for us hobbyists.

lyngsat is missleading, it lists a few channels as free, but most of us assume free as in unencrypted. lyngsat assumes free as in zero monthly cost.

so there are two types of free.

fixed key and unencrypted. there is very little unencrypted. there is a little that is fixed key, when you sub an ird they send the keys for these channels, when you cancel its ok because they never ever change the keys so you can still watch these channels.

if you have an ird that can not be subbed, ie genpix, then you have no way of ever watching fixed key channels. if you have an ird that can be subbed but never has been, you'll have to sub it first.

I had a BUD long ago ( way B4 4DTV ) , I now have a 905 sidecar slaved to my CS 5000 Ku only , I experimented a little awhile back and now I have the 905 subbed to a couple of channels.

For example on X4 , I'm getting the DMX audio channels plus American Life TV Network and Black belt TV , I know you have to be subbed to get American Life , how about Black Belt TV .... Do you have to be subbed to get that channel too.

There are also a PBS stations that I have found using DC II on K3
X0 G10R has 2 channels that look like they are from a university
F1 Anik F1 @107.3 has a couple of PPV preview channels and one Canadian Goverment channel that I have found so far. ( I understand that the DSR 905 receiver is the only receiver that can go to this sat without screwing up the maps or anything else) I read this somewhere and I'm looking for the source .

Yes the 905 can go because it does not have the analog channel maps, 920's and 922's should not be parked at any Star choice satellite using a ku-band satellite off the 4d's list.

thats interesting jayelem....did nto know that the 905 can go on AnikF1...might have to try that :)

Rawmotion, if you do decide to go with a commercial receiver for the fixed key DCII stuff, make sure you get one that will get the fixed key stuff out of the box. I know the Motorola DSR-4800 series (also the rebranded version sold under the Digitrans 7150 label) will receive fixed key and zero key (unencrypted) DCII automatically, without authorization. There may be other, newer receivers which will also do that. These commercial receivers are not cheap, the Digitrans I have sells for $500 used.

Rawmotion, if you do decide to go with a commercial receiver for the fixed key DCII stuff, make sure you get one that will get the fixed key stuff out of the box. I know the Motorola DSR-4800 series (also the rebranded version sold under the Digitrans 7150 label) will receive fixed key and zero key (unencrypted) DCII automatically, without authorization. There may be other, newer receivers which will also do that. These commercial receivers are not cheap, the Digitrans I have sells for $500 used.

I believe you need to get a commercial receiver that's been previously authorized to receive fixed key. Getting a new 4800 authorized without having the in's with someone at a cable headend etc may be a problem. A used one may be the best bet.

Getting a 4800 will also allow combo mode when in fixed key. Now that would be cool.:D Hope someday I can afford one of these gem's just for that.

F1 Anik F1 @107.3 has a couple of PPV preview channels and one Canadian Goverment channel that I have found so far. ( I understand that the DSR 905 receiver is the only receiver that can go to this sat without screwing up the maps or anything else) I read this somewhere and I'm looking for the source .

Using a 920 or 922 for F1 and and U.S. satellites will cause the TDT count to go over 1920. When this happens funky things start happening with the 4D. A master reset is needed to solve this. The 905 is immune because it don't have the analog channel maps so there is extra space in the memory to handle this.

I believe you need to get a commercial receiver that's been previously authorized to receive fixed key. Getting a new 4800 authorized without having the in's with someone at a cable headend etc may be a problem. A used one may be the best bet.

Getting a 4800 will also allow combo mode when in fixed key. Now that would be cool.:D Hope someday I can afford one of these gem's just for that.

Motorola 4800 is one of very few (pretty sure not the ONLY one though) that will pick up fixed key without prior authorization. This is not true of the Motorola 4000, 4200, 4400, etc., which all need prior authorization. Not sure about the new crop of Motorolas (4402x, 4410x, etc.)

Motorola 4800 is one of very few (pretty sure not the ONLY one though) that will pick up fixed key without prior authorization. This is not true of the Motorola 4000, 4200, 4400, etc., which all need prior authorization. Not sure about the new crop of Motorolas (4402x, 4410x, etc.)

Good to know, thank's :)

Now to find a cable headend throwing some good ones away :D

Yeah, no kidding :) These receivers seem much harder to get than the typical 4200, 4400, etc., probably in part because of the pre-authorization feature, and also because they will do 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 DVB as well. Again, not sure about the new generation of receivers, some of them may have these features as well.

Jim, it will screw up the 4dtv. I've had to do a Master Reset twice with mine. I now only go there and look at the Analog (especially #24 for Ottawa) only and stay away from the Digicipher channels, or look for something on DVB?

Al

I go to F1 Ku with the 922 all the time with no problems. I watch the BC government channel an scan for BBC news and weather feeds.

If you are using F1 then you are using c-band on the 4d this is fine, if you use A1 or any other ku designator then you will over load the 4dtv memory and will need to do a master reset.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)