Are LNBs fragile?

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I've just upgraded our RV to HD and that included a 1000.4 dish. How fragile are the LNBs? I've been using a 2 LNB dish and I've been pretty careful to not knock the LNBs around when it's stowed in the RV "basement".

I planned on wrapping the LNB assembly in a towel, seperate from the rest of the pieces. Is this necessary or is the assembly something that can be tossed around without any special care?

Phil

Don't abuse it, but it doesn't need to be babied. I would be more concerned on warping the reflector than breaking the LNB. I would leave the LNB attached to the dish with the cable as well, and just disconnect the cable where it enters the RV roll it up and place the whole thing in the stowage.

Thanks, scooby. The storage compartment isn't big enough to take the assembly whole so it has to be disassembled some. On our old one, I took the reflector off. This one has a longer arm and I was planning on removing the LNB assembly and the reflector for storage --- 4 bolts and 2 screws.

Years ago when I was first setting up to use a dish (I'd just watched DVR stuff before that), I was given a free dish. It was an old single LNB DirectTV assembly. It fell over onto the LNB. It never worked and I had no idea if it didn't work when I got it or if it broke internallly when it fell.

Phil

I've had LNB's fall off the 2 story roof when swapping them out for whatever reason (putting a new dish up, switching an old LNB for new) and they survived.

LNB's are pretty durable

I second the motion on making sure that dish doesnt warp out of shape .Just did a 5th wheel install and could peak past 40 on 110,119,and over 10 on 129.swapped out dish and solved problem but lost time

U should see what the LNB goes through riding around in some of these technicians trucks! Like ice said, they can be thrown around a fair bit. I've never had one not work because it got bumped around. Two stories onto concrete, now that I wouldnt try

Re: dis-assembly- I carry a 1000.4 in our 5th wheel, I replaced the nuts with large wing nuts to ease the process.

Good suggestion. I used wing nuts on my 2LNB dish but still ended up putting a little ratchet wrench in the box containing the sat meter and compass and cables. I still have the old dish, and all the wing nuts. Next time out I'll try and determine if it's easier to use them or the ratcheting box end wrench. Either way won't be all that hard.

We typically camp adjacent to family and this new dish allows both of us to hook to it, rather than last year where we had to put up two dishes side-by-side.

All things considered, having great TV on vacation is pretty dang easy these days!

Phil

U should see what the LNB goes through riding around in some of these technicians trucks! Like ice said, they can be thrown around a fair bit. I've never had one not work because it got bumped around. Two stories onto concrete, now that I wouldnt try

When the tech first connected the new dish, an LNB didn't seem to be working. He replaced the LNB assembly with another and the problem was solved. That was another reason I was wondering HOW fragile they actually are.

Phil

I second the motion on making sure that dish doesnt warp out of shape .Just did a 5th wheel install and could peak past 40 on 110,119,and over 10 on 129.swapped out dish and solved problem but lost time

Thanks, Nick, I try and store the dish with nothing on it to prevent warping but I didn't really understand how sensitive that can be.

Phil

Just went through an April 27 hailstorm that did extensive damage to my area. I need new roof, gutters, siding, vegetable garden and '96 Taurus. My Winegard OTA is now severely arthritic, but my Dish 1000.4 and wing dish survived intact and receiving the same signal strength as before.

My basement compartment isn't big enough to store my Dish1000.2 assembled. So I just remove the arm from the dish (4 bolts) and am careful not to warp the dish in storage. My old Dish 500 would fit without a problem.

Streaming between ViP receivers

Hoopla about whole house DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts