Are We Really Getting Mapping Software?

FrankJo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
DC Metro Area
I hear a lot discussion about the new software being able to map local channels. Does anyone know FOR SURE that this will be included in the next download? Or, have we TALKED ourselves into believing that this will be included in the new software.

One thing I was wondering is, how will guide data be handled for these "mapped" channels that people pick up that Voom doesn't know about yet. Will the guide data still be dependant on your initially setup zip code and what zaptoit says?

FunkyBoss said:
One thing I was wondering is, how will guide data be handled for these "mapped" channels that people pick up that Voom doesn't know about yet. Will the guide data still be dependant on your initially setup zip code and what zaptoit says?

According to what I was told (I have stated the same in the past), the scanning function will pick up both-- channels without PG information and with PG information. Even if it does not have PG, you will be able to tune the channel. I am sure that the majors like CBS, NBC, ABC, WB, Fox will have PG information. Those that do not have PG information will need to be requested as we are doing now with the mapping. Except it will not be for mapping but for PG information.

Sean Mota said:
According to what I was told (I have stated the same in the past), the scanning function will pick up both-- channels without PG information and with PG information. Even if it does not have PG, you will be able to tune the channel. I am sure that the majors like CBS, NBC, ABC, WB, Fox will have PG information. Those that do not have PG information will need to be requested as we are doing now with the mapping. Except it will not be for mapping but for PG information.

Sean,

What about us folks who receive multiple DMAs (DC, Richmond and Baltimore in my case)? Will the new firmware:

a. Support multiple DMA maps?
b. Allow users to configure their own maps without having to call VOOM?

Thanks,
Riff...<EOT>

riffjim4069 said:
Sean,

What about us folks who receive multiple DMAs (DC, Richmond and Baltimore in my case)? Will the new firmware:

a. Support multiple DMA maps?
b. Allow users to configure their own maps without having to call VOOM?

Thanks,
Riff...<EOT>

Yes
Yes to both...

Is there a reason why my PBS never is broadcasting what VOOM has in the PG? Is this a commond problem?

It sucks, I see all this great HD in the PG for PBS, but it seems like they run Arthur cartoons practically 24 hours a day on my PBS.

HeavyC said:
It sucks, I see all this great HD in the PG for PBS, but it seems like they run Arthur cartoons practically 24 hours a day on my PBS.
Its gonna suck even worse if your PBS is running several SD channels in addition to its HD channel like mine. It was so bad they had to go to 720p to stop the pixelation. Looks like crap. Its a shame too.

HeavyC said:
Wait a minute. That sounds like your STB is mapped to one of the sub channels. If you haven't already you may want to check with folks in your area and see if they are experiencing the same thing. My PBS (DC) plays all the good HD on the .1 channel and kids stuff on the subs, .2, .3, .4 etc.

I hope Voom continues to deliver the EPG because I only have 2 stations that transmit the PSIP guide data. That's why I dropped my Dish locals is because I now have the guide data from Voom, where I didn't with my 6000, I sure hope I don't have to go backwards.

DarrellP said:
I hope Voom continues to deliver the EPG because I only have 2 stations that transmit the PSIP guide data. That's why I dropped my Dish locals is because I now have the guide data from Voom, where I didn't with my 6000, I sure hope I don't have to go backwards.

They will. As more of these channels are added to your individual PG and there's no guide data, VOOM will requests those channels to be supplied with Guide data as users request them.

Well, Damn!

Ken,

YOU DA MAN. Imagine that. Actually going to Voom's website to get an answer to question! That page is definetly new. Really new. Like, today new.

CLOSE THE THREAD! KEN HAS SPOKEN.

This is good news.

My question was answered, thanks for the link Ken, they will continue to supply info for locals, cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)