Artist name not updating

rickie1977

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
On my Sirius XM boom box when a song plays then a new song starts to play the artist and name of the song doesn't update anyone else having this problem?

I don't have a boombox, but I've been listening to Sirius XM using the built in tuner on my A/V Receiver for the past few hours and the meta data was been present. On my way home from work I was listening to Prime Country and it was fine as well. Both my car and AV Receiver are receiving the signal from Sirius satellites

I have an XM radio built into my 2012 Chevy Sonic, and it seems like lately, the metadata can take longer to load or update than it did before, across all channels. I wonder if they are sending metadata updates slightly less often? I can't imagine it saves much bandwidth. Also, specifically on CBC Country, I wonder if something is messed up, because on several occasions the metadata gets stuck on a previously played song, and then several more songs can play before it finally updates to the current/correct song.

It is POSSIBLE that this is partially related to the fact that Sirius/XM compresses the heck out of their audio and information to get it ALL into a chunk of expensive satellite bandwidth as small as possible. With many of their channels having audio not even CLOSE to the quality of a well run terrestrial FM or AM stereo station, and with their transmitting pictures of album art along with digital music and the "data" to which you refer times "X" amount of channels, it's highly likely that there's a battle for where the bandwidth is being allocated overall. In simple terms, there's only so much you can "shove" into a certain size block of transmitted bandwidth. Some radios may be better than others at operating on lower bandwidth and still maintaining the information, much like some standard radio tuners are better than others.

I'm well aware of XM's bandwidth constraints. I've had XM for many years now, but the delay in PAD data (Artist/Title/etc) seems to be a recent development. I know more bandwidth is now available on the Sirius side due to the end of Backseat TV, but the XM side may be struggling. I notice sometimes on Saturdays when there are a lot of sports games on, that CBC Radio One will be knocked down to the 4 kb AMBE(R) compression (just like the traffic and weather channels) and i think as a side effect they have to lower the audio level to avoid distortion, so I have to really turn up the radio to hear what's being said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)