As streaming prices rise, cord-cutters are cutting back

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
Posting the entire article because of the paper's new paywall

Donna Lynne Amareld has "cut the cord" twice, most recently about a year ago, when her cable and internet bill ballooned to $220 a month, she said.
This month, as YouTube TV hikes its rate from $64.99 to $72.99, her monthly costs for streaming services and internet will increase to more than $170, she said. She misses the Lifetime channel, which was one of her favorites during the decades she had cable, but she doesn't want to pay for another service that carries it.

Does she think she'll ever give cable another try?
Her total streaming bill "would have to get pretty high," the 51-year-old Levittown, Pennsylvania, woman said, probably around $250 or more a month.

Cable and satellite providers have been dramatically losing subscribers for years as people switch to streaming services.

In July, streaming overtook broadcast and cable in the monthly Nielsen ratings for the first time. And only 56% of U.S. adults said they watched TV via cable or satellite, according to a 2021 Pew survey. Some industry forecasts predict that less than half of households will have a traditional cable or satellite subscription by the end of this year.

Most 18-to-29-year-olds have never had cable or satellite TV, according to Pew, but even those 30-and-older have been increasingly turning to streaming in recent years as services like Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV and HBO Max have offered can't-miss, zeitgeist-y shows like "Succession," "Love is Blind," "Only Murders in the Building" and "Ted Lasso."

At the same time, it has become more expensive and more complicated to rely on streaming, particularly for households in which people watch multiple shows that cannot be viewed on the same platform or want to keep up with local sports.

Monet Reilly, 33, of Havertown, Pennsylvania, for example, favors Hulu, where she watches ABC and NBC shows. She got HBO Max for the popular "Game of Thrones" prequel "House of the Dragon," and Apple TV for "Servant," the M. Night Shyamalan series on which she was an extra.
With many other parts of a monthly budget also costing more than they used to, the price increases of streaming are causing some subscribers to take pause. In 2022, the number of canceled streaming subscriptions increased 49% compared to the prior year, according to the subscription analytics firm Antenna.

Some, like Amareld, aren't yet making a change, but they may if the costs continue to rise. Others are streaming more strategically.
"Instead of going to cable, they're trying to be smarter about the services they subscribe to," said James Wilcox, senior electronics editor for Consumer Reports. "They're not going to subscribe for a year. They're going to subscribe for a month or two," binge watch a few shows, and then switch to another service.

Reilly has adopted that strategy since cutting cable in 2020. She consistently watches shows on Hulu and Disney Plus. Since "House of the Dragon" ended, she doesn't watch any shows on HBO Max anymore.
"HBO Max is a bit pricey, so that'll have to go," she said. Apple TV will be on the chopping block next — after "Ted Lasso" ends.

As for live programs, she cut cable in 2020, unable to justify the $180 monthly bill for TV and internet. A year later, she realized she'd be unable to watch the summer Olympics, so she bought an antenna on Amazon for $25 (with no monthly fees).

Maximizing free trial periods
In Upper Merion, Pennsylvania, Andrew Hall, 46, canceled his cable contract four years ago. He was frustrated by additional fees that were going to bring his internet and TV bill above $200 a month. The University of Pittsburgh alumnus was bummed, too, that he couldn't get the ACC Network to watch Pitt football games.

He switched to Hulu + Live TV, which is around $80 a month, and never looked back. With the money he's saved, his family invested in a higher-quality mesh WiFi system, which has made for fewer dropped Zoom calls and no buffering issues when streaming.

"The hardest part about all this was getting out of my comfort zone to switch to do that free trial to see if I liked Hulu," especially for live sports, said Hall, an avid basketball, baseball and football fan.
The family has other streaming services, but mostly they take advantage of free trials, watch the shows they want to watch, and then cancel the subscription before they're charged.

"We don't keep the services for a long period of time," he said.
As users hop between streaming services and exhaust free trials — and as some companies crack down on account sharing — Wilcox expects more people to turn to the burgeoning world of free streaming services.

These platforms, such as Pluto and Freevee, will take some getting used to. They are entirely supported by ads, so shows are interrupted by what are essentially TV commercials.
Other people may opt for — or downgrade existing subscriptions — to new lower-level options of Hulu, Netflix, and other streaming services, which are also supported by ads.
"We don't see people returning en masse to cable or satellite TV," Wilcox said. But "consumers have hit a ceiling" in terms of how much they're willing to pay for streaming.

Right now with the free apps on the Fire Stick, with the free 2 week guide, I counted nearly 900 free channels. Those are the apps they include with their guide. There are many other services that have guides too.
And most of that content is shown on Traditional Providers Channels that people pay for.

I really wish people would figured out that the majority of content on Live TV channel is reruns, new content is in the extreme minority.

You can get most of the new content from Broadcast/Cable Channels, plus all the exclusive content in much better quality for a less expensive price-

Paramount+ with Showtime-$12 a month (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$10 a month( all Universal/NBC)
AMC+-$7 a month
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$20 a month(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney)
Discovery+-$7 a month

So only $56 a month, all commercial free and you can subscribe to what you want, no Discovery for me, so I would save $7.

The ONLY thing I will watch on it is Bosch: Legacy.
I used my ipad everytime a commercial came on.

I am glad the show is still going, but peeved it is no longer on Prime, looked so much better in 4K/HDR.

• Love
Reactions: Bobby
If you're OK with ad-supported tiers for streaming, you can save a lot of money. Of course, it depends what interests you......if you have to have sports and/or specific teams, the savings may not be there.

If you're OK with ad-supported tiers for streaming, you can save a lot of money. Of course, it depends what interests you......if you have to have sports and/or specific teams, the savings may not be there.

The one thing I hate stories like that is they always include Netflix and HBO in the pricing, but both services are premium, they are not meant to replace something on Traditional Live TV, like Hulu, Peacock, Paramount+ and Discovery+..

They would cost more no matter what, streaming or Paid Live TV.

Watched Marty Feldman last night with my son in Young Frankenstine. He was really funny in that one. :biggrin
ed5cbecf3e78af95f941625854a1efac.jpg

It was only a matter of time. YTTV now costs what my Dish package costs ($75.00). With the OTA dongle I get 71 locals in addition to the Dish channels (Flex plus Heartland). Prime TV is free with my Prime subscription so it's like the cherry on top. If something of interest is coming up I can add a channel to Prime and drop it the next month without needing a new app or adding a whole new service so why would I want to change to an all streaming service? Streaming is attractive as long as it's economical. Once streaming costs start to match or exceed Sat/Cable costs it becomes much less attractive so not only do I expect to see a slowdown in cord cutting but I think there is a very real possibility you might see some reversal in the next couple of years. Don't be surprised. ;)

Reactions: Jimbo and navychop
It was only a matter of time. YTTV now costs what my Dish package costs ($75.00). With the OTA dongle I get 71 locals in addition to the Dish channels (Flex plus Heartland).
To be fair, you get a lot more channels for a tad less, you also get 1080P and Dolby Digital+ sound and up to 3 streams without a box charge, that you do not get with your Dish Flex subscription.

Last edited:
To be fair, you get a lot more channels for a tad less, you also get 1080P and Dolby Digital+ sound and up to 3 streams without a box charge, that you do not get with your Dish subscription.
Again, it comes down to what a person wants. Some like satellite or cable. They like their line up. Streaming has a lot going for it, but not all channels stream. In the future that may change, but not now. The variety even 10 years ago was not available. Most people that I know that stream with a Roku or Fire Stick have no idea what all is available. They stick wioth a few apps and never venture any father. There are so many apps that a person can spend days checking out even the ones that look interesting.

I currently have Prime and Paramount+ that I pay for. I also have Apple+ and Netflix which is free with my T-Mobile account. I would cancel Apple+ and Netflix if I had to pay for it.

I am looking at the streaming services I have not just costs but lack of new content or content that I am not interested in. I found for some like that I turn them off then come back in a couple of months.